Toyota Nation Forum banner

2013 Toyota Camry SE - Upgrading Audio System

22K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  TheManInDboX 
#1 · (Edited)
Last week I was blessed to be able to purchase a gently used Camry SE (4 cylinder) to use as my commuter to and from the AT&T Center on Spurs game-nights.

My drive is a bit lengthy and the traffic can be a little rough - so having a good sound system is a considerable priority. I've read just about every post I can find on TNF's and google, however I'm still unsure about a couple aspects of upgrading the system in the most efficient manner.

The factory system is the standard SE option w/o Nav or Entune with Bluetooth, USB - you know the drill.

I have located a factory system from a 2013 Camry Non JBL w/Navigation, CD Player, HD Radio, XM, and Entune that is in good shape and at a reasonable price - #1 I'm still unsure even after my reading - is there compatibility issues upgrading from a non-Entune system to an Entune system? Please forgive me if somehow this has already been clarified but I've only been able to see posts of upgrading a base Entune system for a premium Entune system.

#2 or is upgrading to an aftermarket system a more efficient upgrade in order to get better audio quality plus many of the additional features that are listed as part of the Entune system I've mentioned above? From everything I've read here (including the "hiss" posts) this with the exception of the non-stock HU look, seems to be the popular choice.

The features that matter most to me are SiriusXM, HD Radio, Bluetooth Streaming. Truly do not need Nav or CD Player. I also want to add the backup camera (which I see is a fairly easy addition even with the current HU).

First step is the HU, then I will proceed with upgrading the speakers and adding a sub. Don't want to anger anyone with this post and if the mods think it's too repetitive you are more than welcome to remove it. Don't want to frustrate anyone here.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum!

Changing to another factory headunit may give you additional features over what you have currently but very likely will not increase the quality of the sound.

If you really are after better sound quality (not just increased volume) then, in my experience, replacing the headunit with aftermarket will make the most notable difference. Most current mainstream aftermarket double din touchscreens have bluetooth, HD radio, and Backup camera inputs built in but will require an additional tuner/antennae for the XM.

Are you planning on doing this yourself or paying a shop to do it?

Reactions: sycohen and SpursPA
#3 · (Edited)
You can absolutely just plug in an entune unit to replace a non-entune unit as long as it's not the JBL unit (I did exactly this in my 2014). XM will not transfer over unless you have the separate XM module, so I recommend you just skip that part (the module can be pricey, you need a separate antenna, and who uses XM these days anyway?). The only additional piece you will need is a GPS antenna which is about $10-15 on eBay and you can just stick to the metal bar behind the radio (doesn't need mounted externally, works just fine beneath the dash).

Sound quality absolutely differs between OEM units. The Pioneer made units (most of the entune units are pioneer) are much higher quality than the crap non-entune ones made by other brands. Stay away from the Panasonic and Fujitsu units; look for a model with a # in the lower right starting with the letter P.

Edit: P10470 and P10076 are your best options, paired with the entune module (make sure the unit you're buying has the module, I've seen them removed for resale). The entune module should be part # PT296-47130 or PT296-47120. I've posted a huge amount of detail on part numbers, options, requirements, etc., in this thread.

Aftermarket is an option, but I highly recommend not going that route; it devalues your car (whereas upgrading to a better OEM unit actually increases value), and results are going to be hit and miss. If you're wanting super high end quality, this is your only option, but you'll need to invest a lot of money do this well.

#4 ·
Sound quality absolutely differs between OEM units. The Pioneer made units (most of the entune units are pioneer) are much higher quality than the crap non-entune ones made by other brands.
I gather then that the 2012-2014 factory units are different then the 2015+. My 2015 Entune Premium with Nav (Non-JBL) was made by Fujitsu.

There was a night and day difference in sound quality when I replaced it with an Alpine Nav unit. So much clearer and dynamic... and this was with no other changes made (stock speakers).

I wouldn't doubt, that when designing the 2015 changes, the bean counters at Toyota found a different supplier (Fujitsu) that would allow them to increase their profit margins... and we suffer with the consequences.

Reactions: SpursPA
#10 ·
Depends on which vehicle/features you have. My 2015 XLE V6 Entune Premium w/ Nav (Non-JBL) had a few features that were lost:

-Voice commands (other than phone call commands which is supported depending on your phone)
-Displaying secondary nav promps on the info screen between the gauges (Only Kenwood supports this data, Alpine/Pioneer do not)
-Gracenote information (recognized nearly any song/artist/album and displayed that information/artwork regardless of the source) but ID3 tag and HD radio tag including artwork are still supported
-XM (but I could get the tuner add on from Alpine if I wanted)
-Maintenance log (This was just a place to manually enter work done, nothing automatic)
-Weather forecasts
-Ability to change the color scheme on the info screen between the gauges (I only really liked the Blue anyway which is how it remains)

All other features remained including selecting vehicle options (headlight / domelight off timer, auto headlight sensitivity, etc...)

Additional features gained when using Idatalink Maestro RR integration unit:
TPMS screen includes temperature and pressure for each tire.
Access to various vehicle features that you would otherwise need to go to the dealer to change (Auto A/C functions, TPMS location selection, Window controls with key fob, etc...)
Ability to read and reset ECU codes right on the aftermarket radio touchscreen.
Various gauge readings such as engine load, throttle position, oil temp...

And of course with an aftermarket headunit that supports it - Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

#9 · (Edited)
In my case, none...but I did need to buy the universal steering wheel controls adapter.

[Of course, mine is an older MY with no TPMS or other more current features...just the radio, DVD/CD, camera, bluetooth, basic Android and usb connection]

#12 ·
I am a bit unfair to pitch in, as I have JBL nav unit in my 07 (that is a very good unit per se) - but here's cheap solution.
You want sound or you want fancy distracting features?
Buy Knivo BT adapter and plug it into Aux.
Install Basslink 2000 into trunk.
Done. Pair your phone, stream, listen to voice nav commands (Waze is best) install PowerAmp app onto your phone for improved sound. Dat's it.
Without sub in trunk no matter what you do, head unit will sound like crap. Basslink is inexpensive and very good option. For some reason, it fills entire car with excellent bass. The rest of speakers is simply complimentary.

#13 ·
Poor sound quality Fix

To the owners of 2015-2016 (may be 2017 as well) Camrys with Premium JBL. All of you should be aware of a very poor sound quality of this arrangement – low volume, absent basses. As it was found, the stock head unit (Fujitsu) and speakers are OK, and the culprit is the third element of this sound system that is an amplifier, PN: 86100-0W280 (made in Mexico), located under the driver’s seat. Its replacement with the one from older 2012-2014 Camrys with PN: 86100-0W250 (made in USA, 100% compatible) significantly improves sound quality. Such replacement takes just less than 15 minutes. I did this and I’m extremely happy! Thanks a lot to Russian friends for this simple but amazing hint!

#15 ·
If you want quality you need to dump the stock head unit and replaced the speakers all the way around.. I have the JBL system in my Camry.. which I ripped out and went pioneer component, with a 15in solo baric in the trunk, and 1500x1 monoblock with 600farrad cap.. the internal speakers are Kenwood 3 way speakers with component stick on tweeters in the stock housings.. the aftermarket deck is stronger, clearer, cleaner, and had preouts for the amps.. all in was less than the OEM deck was alone..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.