Text/Email notifications problem...2012 Camry DISPLAY AUDIO w/navigation&Entune - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question Text/Email notifications problem...2012 Camry DISPLAY AUDIO w/navigation&Entune

So I bought a brand spanking new Toyota Camry SE 2012

Its got the DISPLAY AUDIO w/entune and navigation.... not the HDD version with the JBL system sadly but its great. Ive been messing around with it and im hearing you can receive text messages and email through your system but I cannot get them to work. Ive paired my phone (Samsung Fascinate Verizon Wireless) and my contacts and missed calls, everything is seen by the car.....except for messages.

As for EMAIL... what gives? on my APPS screen when I scroll over to the last page... PICTURES(im sure this is only available when a USB STICK is inserted), CALENDER, and EMAIL are greyed out and unselectable even when the vehicle is parked. I haven't been able to find ANY info on either of these cases.

So do you guys have any info on how to get your text messages on the screen, and/or check your email... hell i'd like to know why even the CALENDER app is grayed out....

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 AM
New TN User

I have a dumb-phone (Sprint LG Rumor Touch) and I have the same problem with text messages not being displayed with the Entune system, and not being able to write them with the touch screen either. I would assume it's a compabability issue between the phone and the car. If you log into Toyota's Entune website, you can check the compatability of your phone with the car. I tried entering my phone and it says something like "compatablility not tested." I haven't tried any of the other features you mentioned. FYI, the Entune system will not let you do a lot of things if the vehicle is in motion (gotta love nanny cars).
#3 Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Official TN Member

In order to use the text message and e-mail functionality, your phone must support Message Access Profile (MAP). Support for this is still quite limited, for example iPhone does not support this. Some Blackberry and Android phones do. Same goes for Calendar, though there the phone must support SyncML.
#4 Old 10-25-2011, 11:43 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRGuru View Post
In order to use the text message and e-mail functionality, your phone must support Message Access Profile (MAP). Support for this is still quite limited, for example iPhone does not support this. Some Blackberry and Android phones do. Same goes for Calendar, though there the phone must support SyncML.
Without trying, my Blackberry Torch had no problem. (Toyota SE /Entune/Nav). I was surprised when my email and text messages were read out loud by the system.
#5 Old 10-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
^+1

Not all phones are compatible with EVERY feature in the Display Audio/Entune system. This is clearly discussed on the Toyota website.

It's going to be a bit of hit and miss for a little while, although you can plug in what kind of phone you have on the Toyota connectivity site and they'll tell you what features will work and which ones won't.

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#6 Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 PM
New TN User

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippymike View Post
So I bought a brand spanking new Toyota Camry SE 2012

Its got the DISPLAY AUDIO w/entune and navigation.... not the HDD version with the JBL system sadly but its great. Ive been messing around with it and im hearing you can receive text messages and email through your system but I cannot get them to work. Ive paired my phone (Samsung Fascinate Verizon Wireless) and my contacts and missed calls, everything is seen by the car.....except for messages.

As for EMAIL... what gives? on my APPS screen when I scroll over to the last page... PICTURES(im sure this is only available when a USB STICK is inserted), CALENDER, and EMAIL are greyed out and unselectable even when the vehicle is parked. I haven't been able to find ANY info on either of these cases.

So do you guys have any info on how to get your text messages on the screen, and/or check your email... hell i'd like to know why even the CALENDER app is grayed out....

Thanks....
Did you ever resolve this issue?

I have the exact same issue on my 2012 TCH XLE: Email and calendar are greyed out but I can make calls and get texts.

Any help would be great the car is 10 days old and the blackberry that I have paired is my work Bold 9900. For my iPhone nothing works except calling and phonebook.

Thanks!
#7 Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyota View Post
Did you ever resolve this issue?

I have the exact same issue on my 2012 TCH XLE: Email and calendar are greyed out but I can make calls and get texts.

Any help would be great the car is 10 days old and the blackberry that I have paired is my work Bold 9900. For my iPhone nothing works except calling and phonebook.

Thanks!
See my post above. Your phone either doesn't support of the function or it's disabled. You may have the E-Mail portion on the BB disabled that's why messages work but not E-Mail. iPhone's don't support any of the other items yet, they will in iOS 6.
#8 Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
New TN User

Canada

Quote:
See my post above. Your phone either doesn't support of the function or it's disabled. You may have the E-Mail portion on the BB disabled that's why messages work but not E-Mail. iPhone's don't support any of the other items yet, they will in iOS 6.
Thanks! In my TCH now trying to figure it out.

Any idea how to set the BBerry correctly to allow access? I tried adjusting the MAP and IMAP settings,...
#9 Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
New TN User

Canada

Quote:
So

So my bold 9900 has MAP and I set it up to allow access but no luck

Could it be something to do with the navigation display /audio unit?
#10 Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyota View Post
So

So my bold 9900 has MAP and I set it up to allow access but no luck

Could it be something to do with the navigation display /audio unit?
I forget exactly where the E-Mail enable/disable is but from memory it has it's own setting somewhere. But, are you seeing regular text messages come up? Do you see successful MAP connection when the car starts (green check vs. red X)? If so the MAP function is working OK so it points back to a phone setting I think.
#11 Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
New TN User

Canada

Quote:
I forget exactly where the E-Mail enable/disable is but from memory it has it's own setting somewhere. But, are you seeing regular text messages come up? Do you see successful MAP connection when the car starts (green check vs. red X)? If so the MAP function is working OK so it points back to a phone setting I think.
Yep got the checkmark on the MAP setting but still no email. Regular texts come up fine.

Think it's a phone setting or the display /audio?

Last edited by Ramyota; 07-18-2012 at 08:16 PM.
#12 Old 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM
New TN User

Talking

Figured it out!

It is an entrenched option setting that needs to be flipped on the Bold 9900.

Was listening to my emails on the way to work this morning.

Cheers,
Ramyota
#13 Old 08-09-2012, 06:25 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have the upgraded HDD navigation system. Does it have this function?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)