Toyota Nation Forum banner

What did you do to your Gen 7 Camry today?

2M views 8K replies 746 participants last post by  NighthawkRMX 
#1 ·
Just like the title says....just about every other Camry generation has one of these threads, so it's only fitting for Gen 7 to have one, too, especially now that they're out on the road finally! :chug:

Post away, but please keep it on topic!

#6 · (Edited)
Last week I installed system from my G35 Coupe into the new Camry. Suprisingly the custom box looks good (for now) I'll try to get some pics up soon. So basically I ran the power cable through the exisitng firewall gromet that is on drivers side. Ran most wires down driver's side. Tapped into 12v accessory that is in middle console for turn on lead. Tapped into rear speakers for line in to rca adapter.

Am I the first one to add sub/amp to new Camry?

By the way its a 10'' Kicker l5 with a Kicker 750.1 amp and Kicker wiring kit.

#7 · (Edited)
changed oil filter today.
glade I did it. I found some yellow/brownish gooey substance under oil filter (on the bottom of filter case) looked like soft jello to me.
still not sure what was it. never seen anything similar.
oil still very clean and I didn't find any metal shredding in the filter so I decided not to drain it.

front bumper is about 0.5-3/4 of inch lower than on gen 6 camry, I had to use pieces of wood to get on my ramps.
I hope 225/55/17 tires gonna help with this issue- next project to put my Avalon Touring wheels on. would do it alredy if car wouldn't equipped with TPMS. I know it's for safety and blah blah blah :), but I wish my car wouldn't have it.

my steering wheel was off center just a hair, not a big deal but I decided to adjust it anyway.
removed steering wheel pad and lucky me :) steering shaft teeth and wheel teeth had just enough free play to turn wheel into right position.

used old trunk mat to make driver and passenger side floor mats. never liked factory mats, they never fit tight and alot of dust and dirt goes on the carpet. my new mats fit tight and all dirt stays on them. plus they almost their color is almost identical to the floor carpet and they are barely notifiable.

installed oval chrome exhaust tip off Avalon-took some "mickey mouse" technique make it fit to my camry pipe.
I got nice double wall TRD tip but it just a bit small for gen 7 pipe.:(

ordered mud guards, should receive them next week. I liked how gen 6 looked with mud guards, will see if they gonna look good on gen 7
:).

Reactions: UtahVacGuy
#8 ·
Last week I installed system from my G35 Coupe into the new Camry. Suprisingly the custom box looks good (for now) I'll try to get some pics up soon. So basically I ran the power cable through the exisitng firewall gromet that is on drivers side. Ran most wires down driver's side. Tapped into 12v accessory that is in middle console for turn on lead. Tapped into rear speakers for line in to rca adapter.

Am I the first one to add sub/amp to new Camry?

By the way its a 10'' Kicker l5 with a Kicker 750.1 amp and Kicker wiring kit.
Do you happen to know what size speakers the new camry has?

#10 · (Edited)
installed OEM mud guards and wheels off my 2007 camry.
compare to 2007 camry same 17" Avalon wheels looks smaller on 2012 :(! even with 225/55/17 tires.
225/55's are 10 mm taller vs original 205/65/16 but they still look small.
tried to find good 5-114 3-4 mm spacers, but all 3 mm spacers are universal and I don't want to use them.

next summer I'll need new tires and looks like even 215/60/17 will fit. they 10mm taller, so it might help a bit.
there is more room between tire and rear strut plate than on gen 6.
more room-bigger wheels!

next project: HID retrofit... need to do alot of home work...

#11 ·
Today I started changing out speakers, It's one of the only things I don't like about the car. I put some 6.5 JBLs in the front doors by refabbing the plastic assy thats standard. Next the 6x9s in the back and tweeters on the dash. It already sounds 100% better.
would 6x9 fit in front doors? I got speakers and adapters, if they do fit I might swap the.
but I'm ok with factory sound, it much better than in my 2007 camry before I replaced speakers and added sound deadened.

#14 ·
Get buyers remorse

Get buyers remorse :(
I bought the XLE last night and today I wish it had more of a sporty feel and though I love the stereo system, the sound is not crisp and can be muddy! The rear speakers are really terrible!

I want to put a sub/amp in the trunk and switch out all the speakers, but the dealer said that it would void the warranty, unless I get it done through them!

Not sure what I'm going to do now.
I see that a couple of posts above have switched out the rear speakers and added a sub, can someone point me to a howto while I decide? :confused:

Thank you,
Z

#15 ·
Get buyers remorse :(
I bought the XLE last night and today I wish it had more of a sporty feel and though I love the stereo system, the sound is not crisp and can be muddy! The rear speakers are really terrible!

I want to put a sub/amp in the trunk and switch out all the speakers, but the dealer said that it would void the warranty, unless I get it done through them!

Not sure what I'm going to do now.
I see that a couple of posts above have switched out the rear speakers and added a sub, can someone point me to a howto while I decide? :confused:

Thank you,
Z
Switching out the speakers will not void the warranty (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act). If your installation is the root cause of a problem, then only is your warranty affected. If you have aftermarket speakers and your door handle breaks off, you are still covered.

#24 · (Edited)
Poor man navigation + ODBII gauges ..... Until some OEM look head unit come out from China :D

Installed in the sunglasses holder. I had to mod the heck out of that garmin to make it fit in there and close properly. I don't use the navigation function that much plus it is 100% voice command ... so no need to touch the screen to enter an address or other functions.
I mostly use it for ODBII data and the Eco Challenge function as entertainment for long commute drive ...:naughty: So up there is much nicer than suction cup to the windshield

These are real time ODBII gauges ...

#26 · (Edited)
Just detailing so far

I treated all the plastic in the engine compartment, interior, and trunk with 303 Protectant and got the Fabric Guard applied on all the interior except the passenger seat (it's too cold to let it sit long enough to dry if I treat the driver's seat, at least if I follow the 303 directions).

Still haven't decided to debadge the vehicle and I am having all sorts of trouble finding the wheels I want in the right finish. The two I liked the most were either the wrong finish (gunmetal versus the black I want) or specifically for a Mercedes bolt pattern (TSW Lodrina or Mandrus Wilhelm)

#28 ·
After drove home from the dealer and still in the garage, I already replaced all doom, doors, and trunk light to LED that I have left over from over purchase for the Sienna.

#30 ·
It's all epend on what type of LED you put in.
I bought it from fleebay some time back about 1.25 -1.50 for a pack of 2 lights with 4 surface mount LEDs on each. Light output is a little brighter than OEM filament bulbs.