Paint Protection Film Option - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)

7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012+

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View bwsct's Photo Gallery
Paint Protection Film Option

Is anyone choosing this option on their new Camry?

Is it worth the $395 MSRP?

Thanks
bwsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Gameroom cash: $956631
Lifetime Supreme Member
View Zembonez's Photo Gallery
If we're talking the cheap make ready applied bottle of "paint sealant and protectant"... it's snake oil (dealer profit in a bottle) and not worth the 5 bucks the dealer buys it for. Run away.

If we're talking about the 3M clear bra front end film to protect against chips, it can be had for half of that elsewhere but at least it's useful.

Either way, it's dealer markup.

Zembonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
ToyoSan owner

Gameroom cash: $267801
Supreme Member
Garage
View 2011 Avalon Limited's Photo Gallery
That is not a bad price for the film if it was installed. I believe they will charge extra laboe on top of that price. I am buying my clear bra from Invisiblemask.com for my Avalon. The kits are reasonably priced. I will install it myself.
2011 Avalon Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

I was referring to the clear bra. Sounds like from your opinions its not necessary from the dealer. I'll exclude that option when negotiating my purchase. Thanks
Old 12-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
ToyoSan owner

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsct View Post
I was referring to the clear bra. Sounds like from your opinions its not necessary from the dealer. I'll exclude that option when negotiating my purchase. Thanks
You can probably get more coverage for fewer dollars if you buy from Invisiblemask. They have 3 different patterns for my car. The one I bought goes back 18" from the front edge of the hood. The one the dealer's contractor uses would probably cover about 12" from the edge.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

How easy is it to apply cleanly when done by a novice?
Old 12-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
ToyoSan owner

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsct View Post
How easy is it to apply cleanly when done by a novice?
It is not easy unless you have flat surfaces to work with. I have some experience applying decals and other vehicle markings at work so I decided to tackle my own installation. I have done 3 clear bras so far. The first one was the hardest. It was 22" from the front edge of the hood. I would not attempt it if you don't have any experience with applying film. You can probably watch a installation clip online at one of the websites that sell film.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View Megayota's Photo Gallery
I'm generally pretty good with my hands but didn't want to mess with the clear bra install myself. The bumper is what would be the hardest on the Gen 7, the hood and fender kit no so hard but I just didn't want to deal with getting install supplies, invest the time, and then take risk of messing it up...
Megayota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
ToyoSan owner

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megayota View Post
I'm generally pretty good with my hands but didn't want to mess with the clear bra install myself. The bumper is what would be the hardest on the Gen 7, the hood and fender kit no so hard but I just didn't want to deal with getting install supplies, invest the time, and then take risk of messing it up...

If you buy your kit from Invisible Mask and it costs more than $75, you get the installation kit free. It consists of two spray bottles, a squeegee, razor knife, microfiber towel and syringe for any air bubbles. You also get a CD with installation instructions.

When I bought my truck in 2006, the dealer wanted to charge $700 for hood, fender and headlight protection. I ended up buying an extended coverage clear bra from Venture Shield for just over $400 and installed it myself. The way I see it, it would be cheaper to buy a couple of bra kits versus stone chips and bug damage repairs.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Avalon Limited View Post
The way I see it, it would be cheaper to buy a couple of bra kits versus stone chips and bug damage repairs.
Agree, I didn't say I wouldn't get the bra, in fact my new Gen 7 is protected from chips and bug damage, I just didn't want to mess with it. For my situation with the hours I work and the kids and their activities which leaves little time for my interests, I do far less DIY projects than I used to as my free time is valuable so I carefully chose what I will and won't take on.

Things I would do when I was in my 20's and 30's I won't mess with in my mid 40's...

A coworker of mine has a Corolla with 40,000 miles that has the same drive I do and his front end has taken a beating with both bugs and rock chips so for me it was a no brainer (the wife didn't agree but its my DD)
Old 12-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
ToyoSan owner

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Agree, I didn't say I wouldn't get the bra, in fact my new Gen 7 is protected from chips and bug damage, I just didn't want to mess with it. For my situation with the hours I work and the kids and their activities which leaves little time for my interests, I do far less DIY projects than I used to as my free time is valuable so I carefully chose what I will and won't take on.

Things I would do when I was in my 20's and 30's I won't mess with in my mid 40's...

A coworker of mine has a Corolla with 40,000 miles that has the same drive I do and his front end has taken a beating with both bugs and rock chips so for me it was a no brainer (the wife didn't agree but its my DD)

I understand. I am near my mid 50's and I have too much time to do those things. I never had a wife or children. I totally believe in paint protection and definitely on a new vehicle.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View itsbert's Photo Gallery
Hello. Newbie here. Anyways, we bought our 7th gen SE in November with both the pain sealant and clear bra. From what I've read here, I won't be purchasing the "snake oil" again, but I was wondering your opinion on the clear bra. When ordering the clear bra, I took into consideration a 6th gen camry I saw around town with the clear bra on its hood and front bumper. However, the dealer ("stealer") charged me for the clear bra but only applied it on the hood- is this normal for the SE or is my dealer ripping me off? I already have had bad experiences with this dealer and wouldn't be surprised if they screwed me over.

Last edited by itsbert; 12-26-2011 at 11:29 PM.
itsbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
ToyoSan owner

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbert View Post
Hello. Newbie here. Anyways, we bought our 7th gen SE in November with both the pain sealant and clear bra. From what I've read here, I won't be purchasing the "snake oil" again, but I was wondering your opinion on the clear bra. When ordering the clear bra, I took into consideration a 6th gen camry I saw around town with the clear bra on its hood and front bumper. However, the dealer ("stealer") charged me for the clear bra but only applied it on the hood- is this normal for the SE or is my dealer ripping me off? I already have had bad experiences with this dealer and wouldn't be surprised if they screwed me over.

It does not make any sense to not cover the bumper. I don't know what is included in the paint protection option but I would do some checking around if I were you. Call the corporate office if you have to. The bumper is more exposed than the hood so why not cover it?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

Itsbert,

The bumper is the most exposed part and something that I covered along with the hood but I have heard of people just protecting the hood concerned about chips that could lead to rust and under the theory the bumper is plastic and easier to fix later (not my theory).

Whether you got ripped off or not would depend on what you paid and what kind was installed (3M or another brand) but dealers don't do anything without making money on it, its the size of the margin that will vary from dealer to dealer. The trade-off is that you can usually roll it into the loan which may help someone who may not have cash to go out and get the PPF right away.

When I dropped my car off, there was a Porsche 911 that the owner drove around too long before getting the film and already had 3 chips in the hood and 1 on the front fender when he took it in for the PPF, ouch...
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View itsbert's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Avalon Limited View Post
It does not make any sense to not cover the bumper. I don't know what is included in the paint protection option but I would do some checking around if I were you. Call the corporate office if you have to. The bumper is more exposed than the hood so why not cover it?
I completely agree and that's why I was surprised to find no film on the bumper when I picked the vehicle up. I wish I had the patience or skill necessary to do it myself, but I'd probably mess it up.
Quote:
Itsbert,

The bumper is the most exposed part and something that I covered along with the hood but I have heard of people just protecting the hood concerned about chips that could lead to rust and under the theory the bumper is plastic and easier to fix later (not my theory).

Whether you got ripped off or not would depend on what you paid and what kind was installed (3M or another brand) but dealers don't do anything without making money on it, its the size of the margin that will vary from dealer to dealer. The trade-off is that you can usually roll it into the loan which may help someone who may not have cash to go out and get the PPF right away.

When I dropped my car off, there was a Porsche 911 that the owner drove around too long before getting the film and already had 3 chips in the hood and 1 on the front fender when he took it in for the PPF, ouch...
Yeah the paint on these new toyotas chips way too easily, and I saw a nice low-mileage lexus at the dealer with lots of rock chips, so I decided to get it. Did you get yours installed at a dealer or private shop? I'm in Ohio.

Last edited by itsbert; 12-28-2011 at 09:18 AM.
itsbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)