2012 Camry SE Harsh Ride - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Janko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
IMG]http://img717.imageshack.us/i/imagefwf.jpg/[/IMG]

Test image

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Janko

Test image

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#48 Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 PM
New TN User

I test drove both the LE and SE. Although it's hard to really get a feel of a car during a short test drive, it was pretty obvious to me that the LE had a softer ride, while the SE had a harder ride. The LE also seemed a little bit quieter. Maybe I was imagining things though.

Anyways, if you like softer rides and it is one of the top things you look for in a car, never get the Sports Edition (SE) of any car. You'll probably be disappointed in the long run.

I personally like the feeling of the SE better since it felt more sporty compared to the LE. That's why I bought the SE version. However, I was coming from a G35 coupe. That thing was a beast, and the ride was super harsh. I feel like I'm riding on clouds compared to my old car. LOL!
#49 Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 AM
New TN User

New Camry Owner 2012 XLE

Just purchase a new camry, which I lovingly call Lady Blue. It does ride rough, my 99 corolla (Betsy) proved a smother ride, than my camry. Steering is not as smooth also. However, I just think it is the luck of the draw. I have friends that love how smooth theirs ride. Checked some website forums regarding the issue, I'm just going to have the dealer check the steering joints, etc. Hope some relief will be provided.
#50 Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 PM
New TN User

Change the tires!!!

My wife and I bought a new 2012 Camry XLE Hybrid this April and thought the ride was not nearly as soft and smooth as our 2002 Camry XLE. When we put Michelin Primacy MXV4's on the 2002 we immediately noticed less road noise, softer ride, and better handling. The 2012 Hybrid came with Bridgestones. Lots of road noise, good handling, but too firm of a ride. We actually thought our 2002 rode nicer. Talked to our dealer's service center manager and he agreed to do a "courtesy" exchange for Michelin MXV4's (PV3) at no cost to us. WOW is all we can say. Gone is the road noise. The soft, comfortable ride is there, and the handling is excellent. We've written to the dealer telling them of our experience and thanking them for exchanging the Bridgestones for the Michelins. Try Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires and you're proably going to find the same results as we have.
#51 Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
35 all around on my LE sticker.
Same for my SE I4-----35 psi all around. The owners manual recommends a boost of 6 psi above 35 if one drives 100 mph for an extended period. Just who is going to find a place to do that?
#52 Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonian View Post
Is that possible? What cost? I would think the tires would need a little more sidewall. Again the 2012 XLE was just about as harsh so I think there is more at work here than just the springs/struts. I'd need the 2011 suspension and I don't think that is realistic. I also wonder if the newer stiffer metal the frame is made out of plays a part in this.

I drove my 2011 this past weekend, and back to the 2011 I want to go for ride comfort although I still love the interior and seats in my 2012 SE v6.

A co-worker of mine who gets car sick pretty easily was amazed how the 2011 did not affect her even while not looking out the window, but in the 2012 the sickness sets in real quick unless her eyes are face forward out the window. My daughter on occasion got car sick and I fear a long trip with her in the 2012.

I understand all of this is subjective and opinions will vary, and I wish they had a demo car you could take out for a day or two to try driving in the conditions /roads one would face daily. I'm not sure how much better I could have done on the test drive to choose.
I test drove seven cars, in two days, narrowing it down to the 2012 Camry SE I4 and the quite different Hyundai 2012 Genesis 3.8 sedan. I took those two for second and third drives deciding on the Camry SE I4. I drove some really rough roads finding the Genesis suspension unrefined and unstable on rough roads. The Genesis is really powerful, nicely appointed and bargain-priced, but it needs suspension refinement badly.
#53 Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat10 View Post
Same for my SE I4-----35 psi all around. The owners manual recommends a boost of 6 psi above 35 if one drives 100 mph for an extended period. Just who is going to find a place to do that?
Germany. I drove from Meinz to Fussen and once outside Frankfurt cruised for 4 hours never going under 200 km/hr and peaking at 220 km/hr. My wife took a nap. There were crotch rockets pulling the front wheels off the ground passing us and big SLs blowing by at times.

2012 TCH XLE

#54 Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Beer steak & Texas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
if you find brand new SE suspension bit harsh and bumpy, but like rest of the car, you should buy it and just wait first 5-7K miles. suspension need to be broken in too.
my LE drives nicer now than 7K ago when it was brand new. it was bit bumpier and harsher than 2007 LE but over time springs became softer and shocks got loosened a bit so it drives now almost like previous generation now.
same thing gonna happened with SE suspension too.
but if SE suspension way to harsh for you, well, you need to look for another car...

RX350/STI-r/CustomShield/5K Retro
Independent Fogs
225/55/17Primacy/AvalonTouringWheels
B-Quiet/Pioneer
Beltronics&BlackSys

2012 MGM LE
#55 Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could offer to find someone to trade your wheels and low profile 45 tires with, someone with an inch or two or three or four inches smaller diameter wheels but taller softer riding tires. Match up the rolling diameter like when you switch to snow tires, and check that the brakes clear the wheels, you will be happier. 205 x 75 x 14's or 205 x 70 x 15's, or 205 x 60 x16's have about the same rolling diameter and weight carrying capabilities. You will get a much softer rider as your tire diameter decreases and the tire gets taller, and probably not miss any handling either. Gas mileage might even increase. Plus you will make some youngster with an older car happy with the looks of squatty low profile tires and larger diameter wheels. Win - win.
#56 Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM
New TN User

Check your tire pressure...mine came from the dealer with 41 PSI in each tire...
#57 Old 09-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
backfist,

my SE Limited Edition with 18" tires came with 40-41 PSI when I bought it. I thought it was odd that it would come like that. I checked the sticker on the door pillar and it states to have tires inflated at 33 PSI. Weird!!!

'12 Camry SE I4 Limited Edition
Blizzard Pearl
#58 Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 AM
I have 6-pack Apps

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebmo View Post
Germany. I drove from Meinz to Fussen and once outside Frankfurt cruised for 4 hours never going under 200 km/hr and peaking at 220 km/hr. My wife took a nap. There were crotch rockets pulling the front wheels off the ground passing us and big SLs blowing by at times.
#59 Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 AM
The darker the better

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Have a 2011 SE I4, and finding this thread informative. Still paying off the 2011 and really happen to like it more in styling than the 2012. Interesting to hear the substantial difference in ride between the 2012 LE & SE. I found it less of a difference between the two in Gen6's.
My SE is no longer stock, she's dropped on H&R and sway bars swapped for Ultra Racing, BUT I stayed with 17" and didn't go thin profile tires. Though the other mods would expectedly stiffen the ride, the 17" @ 34/35psi help keep ride comfortable. And I also agree with another post in thread that said the turanzas are a bit harder/harsher a ride. The yokohamas I'm on a very comfortable in comparison.
Just thought I'd throw
Thanks guys

My Black Manta Baby (Pic spread com'n soon!)
#60 Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurido92 View Post
backfist,

my SE Limited Edition with 18" tires came with 40-41 PSI when I bought it. I thought it was odd that it would come like that. I checked the sticker on the door pillar and it states to have tires inflated at 33 PSI. Weird!!!
They come out of the plant with the tires over inflated, not sure why Toyota does it that way but they do it on just about every car.. I drive about 70 different Camry's and Avalon's a night and I would say maybe 5 out of the 70 may be inflated correctly. Some of them are so over inflated that I have turned the car sideways at 30mph just making a normal left or right hand turn on dry pavement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)