Navigation updates and cost - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)

7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012+

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View tomander's Photo Gallery
Navigation updates and cost

Does anyone know how Toyota updates Navigation systems in a vehicle? Do they offer annual map information updates? How do the systems get updated, by dealer, CD, thumb drive? What is the cost of updates? I am a potential new Camry buyer and was just curious. I have a Garmin GPS with a lifetime free updates. Thanks
tomander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

Gameroom cash: $257754
View BoltsFan's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomander View Post
Does anyone know how Toyota updates Navigation systems in a vehicle? Do they offer annual map information updates? How do the systems get updated, by dealer, CD, thumb drive? What is the cost of updates? I am a potential new Camry buyer and was just curious. I have a Garmin GPS with a lifetime free updates. Thanks
I believe it depends on which nav system you have - the Display Audio w/Entune nav (more basic one) or the Premium HDD one available on the XLE (reg & Hybrid). From what I was told the Premium HDD nav is upgraded via satellite but I do not know whether or not to believe the salesman that told me that - perhaps someone with this system can help out. The basic system can be upgraded by a USB drive and per Toyota the first upgrade will be available during late summer this year. Now they are also planning to release the iHeart Radio, Open Table and Movie Ticket apps for the basic nav system during the summer so I am hoping this upgrade will be free as it is a system functionality upgrade.

I also own a 2009 Venza with a DVD based nav and those updates came out around Sept of each year and the last one cost $169. I am hoping the USB drive updates will be significantly less especially if it is true that the HDD nav can be updated via satellite which I would think would be free. We'll see...

Last edited by BoltsFan; 04-11-2012 at 10:49 AM.
BoltsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Joined the dark side. :D

Gameroom cash: $1308791
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View workerant's Photo Gallery
^ nothing is free... well someone have to pay for something.

I'll vote for DVD. Buy the new DVD and pop out the old replace with the new, all fixes and map on the new dvd. And pop the old dvd into the trash cause you can't go back.

Yes they release update map every year but I notice the map change in about 5 years. Even google map which to me is very fast and up to date didn't change the road that got changed 3 years ago. Why the dam state change that road, their reason is safety AGAIN, the real reason I think is create jobs, and the change is rip up something functional to replace with a less function road.
workerant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant View Post
^ nothing is free... well someone have to pay for something.

I'll vote for DVD. Buy the new DVD and pop out the old replace with the new, all fixes and map on the new dvd. And pop the old dvd into the trash cause you can't go back.

Yes they release update map every year but I notice the map change in about 5 years. Even google map which to me is very fast and up to date didn't change the road that got changed 3 years ago. Why the dam state change that road, their reason is safety AGAIN, the real reason I think is create jobs, and the change is rip up something functional to replace with a less function road.
There is no map DVD that is being used for the nav systems of the Camry. The updates will either be done via the USB port on the Display Audio w/Entune nav system or via satellite for the Premium HDD nav system although I cannot confirm the latter - I tend to believe updates to either system will be via the USB port.

I merely mentioned the cost of the update to the DVD-based nav system I have in my Venza since the OP was trying to find out a price of the map updates and that is the only cost info I know of as Toyota has not released the cost to update the new Camry nav system maps yet.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

^ just now I read in the FAQ on Toyota website about Camry Nav and it mension DVD update. It did stress it need to be done by dealer.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant View Post
^ just now I read in the FAQ on Toyota website about Camry Nav and it mension DVD update. It did stress it need to be done by dealer.
Prior to 2012 models the nav was a DVD-based system but the fact is that the 2012 Camry nav systems are not DVD-based so there is no DVD map to load in them so I fail to see how you can have a DVD update. Let me tell you that the info on the website is not always correct and that the manuals for the 2012 Camry have incorrect info in them relating to the functionality of the nav system.

Per the e-mail I received from Toyota:

- The map update will be done through a USB drive. Toyota plans to launch the first update for customer's navigation system during late summer this year.

- The map data is stored in the hard disk of customer's navigation system.

- Regarding the USB/vCard file, our final production won't support that for loading addresses to navigation.

Now this was in response to when I inquired about the Display Audio w/Entune nav system that I have in my SE. Since the Premium HDD nav is also hard drive based I believe the updates would also be via the USB port but I was also told by a salesperson it would be done via satellite. Maybe someone with the Premium HDD nav can elaborate on this.

I was also told that the update via the USB port would be done at the dealership as opposed to purchasing a USB flash memory stick with the update on it.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View headac3e's Photo Gallery
i highly doubt the updates will be done by satellite. the salesman lied to you in efforts to make the sale. i had one salesman told me that the SE model had a 4 disc changer ... of course i could be wrong. the display audio + entune does not have XM data for traffic/weather though.

anyway, i would think if anything, it'll be done through the entune app on your phone if not done by USB.
headac3e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Navigation System Maps - Getting and Updating
Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View as2ortiz's Photo Gallery
It's a pen drive now. I just got my Camry 2012 SE updated do to a TSB from 1.7.4 to 1.8.4 but the issue still there. When you start the car and press the voice command feature it says voice command not available. They are working with toyota USA and toyota Japan to resolve this bug. Other than that I love it!!!!
2012 Camry SE V6
as2ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by as2ortiz View Post
It's a pen drive now. I just got my Camry 2012 SE updated do to a TSB from 1.7.4 to 1.8.4 but the issue still there. When you start the car and press the voice command feature it says voice command not available. They are working with toyota USA and toyota Japan to resolve this bug. Other than that I love it!!!!
That's weird - don't have that problem in my SE. Do you attempt this immediately after you start the engine or do you wait a few seconds? My SE was built in March and came with ver 1.8.4 already installed.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

nav updates & missing feature

I just spoke to a product technical administrator at Toyota who was responding to my questions and issues with the Display Audio wEntune & nav system. Here is what he confirmed:
  • The Display Audio nav as well as the Premium HDD nav systems are both hard-drive based systems
  • Updates for each system will be done via the USB port at the dealership. The update for each system is different as the software in the head unit is different. The cost is still unknown as of now but it is expected to be significantly lower than the $169 updates for the DVD-based pre-2012 systems.
  • The function to upload/download vCard formatted address & contact info via a USB flash drive (see pg 56 of the nav system manual for the Display Audio nav system) did not make it into production. He is checking into whether or not this will be a feature available in the future via an update.
  • I have found that some POI's that my 2009 Venza nav locates are not in the 2012 Display Audio nav database. I will be documenting some examples of these in my local area and forwarding the info to Toyota.
The vCard upload/download issue is something I am fighting Toyota on as I feel this is false advertising. I downloaded the manuals prior to purchasing my Camry and expected this feature to be there as I do not currently have a smartphone and Entune wasn't the reason I got the nav anyway - I wanted the nav and the integration with the audio system, etc. I had planned to export all my contact info from Outlook and then upload it via the USB port rather than having to enter the addresses manually.

Anyway I will post when I find out any new info.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $268900
View DANNYBOY72's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by as2ortiz View Post
I believe that voice is not available while the vehicle is stopped just like some features can not be input while the vehicle is moving?
DANNYBOY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

This happened to me the other day but it was just immediately after starting the car and pressing the voice command button. After a few more seconds it was fine and the car was stopped.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View fognet's Photo Gallery
Got my newCamry Hybrid last week. Was told I have the latest map in the system. I checked the info and found the Map is dated 06/01/2011 almost 15 months old. I emailed Toyota on 8/16/2012 and here is the answer:
"Subject
Map update

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Tiffany Harris) 08/17/2012 07:39 AM
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

We apologize that at this time there is no ETA available yet for your navigationsystem type.

You may wish to check back with us or your local Toyota dealership early next year for any updates or ETAs.

Your feedback is appreciated. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to review and improve our products and services.

Tiffany Harris
Toyota Customer Experience
http://www.toyota.com/contact"

SO, my Camry Hybrid United States maps are 15 months old in my just off the production line. I am not supposed to expect a map upgrade until next year maybe. That will make my new car maps 2 years old.

I hope there is someone from Toyota that sees this as a major issue for newcar buyers.
fognet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)