2012 Camry Cruise Control Accelerating Down Hill - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)

7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012+

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View joeer77's Photo Gallery
2012 Camry Cruise Control Accelerating Down Hill

I have a 2012 Camry LE with the 4 cylinder & automatic trim. I noticed that when I have cruise control on and going down hill the car will accelerate until I eventually have to hit the brakes to prevent going 10+mph over my cruise speed. Is this normal? This is the first car I have driven where cruise control will not maintian desired speed when going down hill. Do I need to go to dealership?
joeer77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View jcoop's Photo Gallery
I'm assuming you mean "gain speed" when you say the car accelerates and not that the system applies throttle to gain speed. IF it applies throttle to gain speed, then you better talk to the dealer about it. If you mean it just gains speed, then it depends on the grade of the downhill road you're talking about. Cruise control does not apply brakes for you, so if the grade is steep enough that the vehicle's weight gives it enough momentum to override the vehicle's engine braking resistance, then your speed will go up. Try different grades of downhills. I doubt it's something wrong with the car's system.

If it maintains set speed in a normal highway, then don't worry about it...you're not supposed to "cruise" on downhill roads anyway

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE 1966 Shelby 427S/C Cobra1966 Ford GT40 (CAV)

2007 Nissan Murano LE
1967 Austin Mini Cooper S
jcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jcoop For This Useful Post:
workerant (05-30-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $160450
View doznI4SE's Photo Gallery
I don't drive any steep hills, so I have not experienced 10+ over set speed. Would you say the grade was steep where you experience this.

Copied from OM page 202:
"Situations unsuitable for cruise control
Do not use cruise control in any of the following situations.

●On steep hills Vehicle speed may exceed the set speed when driving down a steep hill."

Last edited by doznI4SE; 05-29-2012 at 11:51 AM.
doznI4SE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View cptnmurff's Photo Gallery
gen 7

I had the same thought at first.. "This car is accelarating down hill!" But I soon figured it out. The damn car has such low resistance that it was just gaining speed by just rolling down hill ! I have learned to just down shift the automatic a few speeds to allow the transmission to dynamically brake to reduce and maintain my desired speed. I have a hard time keeping my speed with in the speed limit. I have such a lead foot.
I find myself thinking it feels like I'm just doing 6o mph and then I look down and see I am really doing 80 mph... Man I love this car !

P.S. I know if I would have bought the V6 that I would have a dozen speeding tickets by now...

3,700 miles and counting...
cptnmurff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cptnmurff For This Useful Post:
workerant (05-30-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View joeer77's Photo Gallery
Yes the car is gaining speed rather than applying more throttle. I see this on I-5 in southern Oregon on 6-7% grades. I'll have the cruise set to 70mph and it will go up to 75-80mph before I hit the brakes. I wish the tranny would downshift so I wouldn't have to reset the cruise after hitting the brakes. Anyone else experience this? My Toyota Tacoma maintains speed downhill with the cruise on no problem. I agree the rolling resistance is so low that the car overcomes the engine braking in 6th gear so you overshoot your cruise speed on steep hills.
joeer77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View Hansen's Photo Gallery
My personal car 2012 SE I4 is doing thesame thing. The cruise control won't hold to the set speed when going downhill.

I had three Honda Accords before and their cruise control holds to it's setting in downhill. The cruise control of my 2012 Camry LE Hybrid service car is also holding on its setting during downhill driving.

I don't think this is normal for the new Camry. I will have the dealer check the cruise control for possible defect.
Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $145000
View JC1843's Photo Gallery
That low resistance freewheel, is built into the trans to help fuel economy. Normal.

If the tach does not go up, when on cruise -- coasting down hill, it is not accelerating.

Do the same hill with out cruise-!
workerant (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Joined the dark side. :D

Gameroom cash: $1206191
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View workerant's Photo Gallery
gain speed = acceleration

Like free fall in vacuum acceleration is 9.8 meter per second.

Question is why it gain speed. These guys think it's the cruise increasing speed because they don't understand how cruise control work.

Old cruise control only control gas paddle. It keep the speed above the set speed. It apply gas paddle only when it detect the speed is below the set speed. When the set speed is achieve it will ease off on the gas paddle, and when it go above it will ease off even more to the point of letting go of the gas paddle. Cruise control don't have control of the brake, that is the driver's job.

When I first learn about cruise control, I thought it also steer the car. I learn real quick that it doesn't. LOL
workerant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $138900
View AussieAg's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant View Post
gain speed = acceleration

Like free fall in vacuum acceleration is 9.8 meter per second.

Question is why it gain speed. These guys think it's the cruise increasing speed because they don't understand how cruise control work.

Old cruise control only control gas paddle. It keep the speed above the set speed. It apply gas paddle only when it detect the speed is below the set speed. When the set speed is achieve it will ease off on the gas paddle, and when it go above it will ease off even more to the point of letting go of the gas paddle. Cruise control don't have control of the brake, that is the driver's job.

When I first learn about cruise control, I thought it also steer the car. I learn real quick that it doesn't. LOL
Acceleration on Earth in a vacuum is actually 9.8 m/s^2 :P. But yes, you are correct. An increase in velocity results in an increase in acceleration (acceleration = change in velocity/change in time). However, I'm pretty sure what the other member(s) meant was that the car is not actively accelerating when going downhill, i.e. the car isn't depressing the gas pedal.

At least you weren't the guy who flipped his RV because he decided to take a nap or make coffee or something while it was on cruise control, haha.
AussieAg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)