Toyota Nation Forum banner

entune update... its heeeeeeeeeeerrreeeeeeeee

56K views 108 replies 61 participants last post by  AmanteNJ 
#1 · (Edited)
welcome to 2.1.0 ...of course no txt email with the iphone but i do like having my iheart radio. haven't played with it too much but tested voice function a little bit to find stations.

i know most dealers won't have the hardware nor will have the information yet so don't run to the dealer yet, im sure within the next few days they will have a tsb released for the new update.

for those of you that haven't had 1.8.4 done don't worry this new flash overrides that and it is no longer useful.. total upload time was about 4 minutes, much faster then the last update which took about 15 minutes

and the proof...

Notice the voice command in the top right.. now just to get some photo's and txt...

See less See more
#42 ·
New version working fine on Entune/basic Nav pkg w/Android phone

I got my USB chip yesterday and today while waiting for my wife did the install on my Camry XLE I4 with the basic Nav/Entune system. I did NOT have the car running but as an earlier comment mentioned had my switch in what I would call the ON position; note I have the push button starter so that is the 2nd push, not the 1st ACC push. Everything went exactly as the instructions list and after completing the 5 min install and pulling the USB out I had the APPS screen with the three new options. There are no Open Table restaurants outside of the larger metro areas but here in SE Minnesota I did see our 3 local megaplex theatre complexes with accurate movie listings on the Movies button.

I am impressed with the iHeart radio and in over 20 minutes of cruising with the Smooth Jazz and Eagles radio stations did not hear any commercials. I did dial in the internet version of our local Classic rock station for one song which was in synch with the FM band version. I was thinking maybe I should not have jumped at a year of XM (my wife got it as a birthday present for me and trust me, you can get it with some negotiating -much- cheaper than what they quote in the mailing) HOWEVER, I still see the Entune iHeart just like the Pandora, great for 30+ min cruising as long as you receive cell phone data but if you are just running a few miles into town for errands the XM (or standard radio, CDs, MP3s on USB) are instantaneous restarts and Entune is a 2 minute startup time at least with my Verizon Samsung Stratosphere 3G smart phone. That's true even if you are waiting for someone with the ignition in ACC and do a quick car start - the Entune has to do a 2 minute restart. So far it seems like after 5 stop/starts I was always able to get back to iHeart without restarting my phone which was a problem I'd noticed the past 3 months owning both the car and phone ... perhaps this Entune 2.0 upgrade fixed some of those connection problems? Actually it doesn't automatically restart, I had to turn on the audio system and hit the APPS and iHeart manually each time, but at least I did not get error messages.

Note I did not try out the Entune voice recognition system. I have had very good luck with the recognition calling Contacts on my phone but have not had good luck using it with either Navigation or Radio controls in the past and typically use the steering wheel controls for changing radio controls instead.

#43 ·
Ok, so i loaded off the USB fine. IHeart works. But I find that my music USB that worked find before the update - now has a sync issue where it freezes up. If I turn off the car remove it and start it over again, it'll play for a while and eventually freeze up. Yes, it's a big stick with a lot of music - but it worked fine before I updated.

Anyone else have this problem?

#45 ·
update success

Just updated from the posted link and everything worked perfect. I used an old 512mb usb stick and just unzipped on the pc and dragged the two files over to the blank stick. Did not have to have the car running, just the first press using the smart key.
Kinda disappointed that all the voice commands for all the apps dont work from the steering wheel, but they all seem to be working and respond well.

#48 ·
Just updated from the posted link and everything worked perfect. I used an old 512mb usb stick and just unzipped on the pc and dragged the two files over to the blank stick. Did not have to have the car running, just the first press using the smart key.
Kinda disappointed that all the voice commands for all the apps dont work from the steering wheel, but they all seem to be working and respond well.
Bingo! I am in complete agreement about the steering wheel thing. In general, I'm really happy with Entune, but Toyota doesn't seem to be very good with use cases! I can't stand having to take my eyes off the road to push a voice button on the touch screen.

All of this should be integrated into the steering wheel, and the system should be smart enough, based on what is displayed on the screen, to understand when you're making a phone call versus selecting a restaurant/radio station, etc. Maybe we'll get properly, hands-free control in a future update ... :disappoin

#52 ·
Hi, everyone.

My dad recently installed the update on his 2102 Camry. (He has the factory nab system as well.) Unfortunately, after doing so, his Bluetooth no longer works. He has a POS Pentech phone that worked perfectly fine before the update. Now he can't even pair the phone at all.

He has talked to the dealership and they tried to get it to work. He also talked to the CEC but no one wants to do anything for him. All they have told him is that he should buy an iPhone, which isn't going to happen.

Does anyone have the previous version of the firmware that we can reinstall? Toyota claims this is impossible, but I thought someone here might have some suggestions. My dad is pretty much freaking out about all of this and the lack of customer service. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#55 · (Edited)
I, too, have a very irritating problem with the update and phone-pairing.

My Verizon Samsung Brightside basic phone used to auto-pair with the Nav after the initial setup. It was a great feature. Now, after the update that was mailed to me on a USB flashdrive, it did NOT auto-pair, even thought it's setup to do so. Strange technology. I want the old software back. How?

#63 ·
I have standard audio system with navagation since I live in Hawaii didn't get the extra entune features. I would like to use the apps any way I can get my car updates to use apps and not the satellite radio?
If you have the basic display audio system you do not have navigation as it only comes with the display audio system with Entune, the DA with Entune and JBL or the HDD version with Entune and JBL. If you have navigation you should have Entune as well.

#64 ·
If you want to check your Entune version:

Press the Setup button in the upper right hand corner of the screen bezel, then General then scroll down to the bottom to System Information and click it. You should see the Entune firmware Software Version listed amongst all the other information.

Entune version 2.1.0 is the latest version.

#67 ·
On the HDD model, you just press the toyota badge in the upper left portion of the App screen and you see the version number. No need to drill into setup.

#70 · (Edited)
According to Toyota, if you have the upgraded HDD unit, you do not receive a USB update, it is done automatically and periodically by over the air.
Apparently the HDD update is done using your phone's data link according to this Prius thread.

So what happens if you don't use a phone with a data plan? No update ..... that would not be good.

Anyone who has a phone with data plan, what is the HDD Entune software version displayed on your system?

#73 · (Edited)
If you don't have a smart phone with a data plan then you are not using the Entune features so it doesn't matter if you can't update.........
One of the Toyota TSB document is titled "Entune/Navigation Software Update" - calling it an Entune update is misleading.

These updates affect the head unit functions beyond just the bling-bling Entune such as Nav, voice command, Bluetooth, so I'm not sure we can say the update does not matter for people without data plans.

From a prior Entune/Nav TSB:

Introduction
Some 2012 model year Toyota models equipped with a Display Audio Navigation System and Entune
may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:
• Vehicle orientation slow to update after vehicle startup
• Five Bing search results are not all displayed on the map
• Voice recognition destination request does not provide feedback
• Voice Recognition for POI search displays "Function not available" message
• "Car Multimedia" device name cannot be changed
Use the following procedure to update the system software and address these conditions.

#76 ·
I have a 2012 Camry SE with display audio with nav. Since the update in July, my navigation voice prompts have disappeared. I have had it into the dealer twice. First time, they reloaded the software and reset the extension box. They said I probably got a corrupted flash drive. Worked fine for a few days and went out again. Second time they had it for several days and replaced the extension box, but indicated that they thought the issue would probably return. They asked me to monitor what kind of activities I may be doing that would cause the problem. Sure enough, in a week the voice prompts went out again and I don't recall doing anything unusual. They have been discussing with Toyota, who are not aware of the issue in other vehicles.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Very frustrating, and I'm starting to get worried this is something they won't be able to fix permanently any time soon.

#78 · (Edited)
First time, they reloaded the software and reset the extension box. They said I probably got a corrupted flash drive. Worked fine for a few days and went out again. Second time they had it for several days and replaced the extension box, but indicated that they thought the issue would probably return.
First, I would always start a new thread for something like this, you will probably get better answers.

Second, I believe you have bad hardware and they need to replace all the parts until it works everytime. They may resist due to the cost, but they can get Toyota to ok and pay. You may need to escalate with Toyota (not the dealer) and or take it to another dealer.

Problem is the dealers really don't have computer techs trained at a detail level on these systems. Even if they hired the best Windows or Mac tech in town, that guy would still be forced to "board swap" in a unique setup like this.

#77 ·
^ i got the same car but so far so good. only thing i noticed is when the DA unit boots up (toyota logo), voice command is not available. you need to wait for the toyota logo to disappear. i think they should replace your entire DA unit if it is not fixed after several tries.

#80 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried to update the ISO to allow for the apps to be installed in a Canadian car yet?

From what I can see, there is a us-app-install.sh script and a eu-app-install.sh script (/usr/share/scripts/app-install). I'm guessing that the us-app-install script has the Entune stuff in it, the rest of us get the eu version.

#81 ·
hey guys im in a brand new 12 se DA w nav. i just picked up the car last week and it looks like i dont have the new entune update ( i dont see iheart radio etc) when i register with my entune.com will i automatically get the update? sorry for the newbie questions as i am totally new to entune.

#82 ·
i called toyota customer service and asked for the usb update. it arrived in a week. a couple of weeks after, i received another one. i guess the 2nd delivery was when i signed up with entunes.

#86 ·
Try recopying the file to the usb stick. If no joy, try a new usb stick. You only need the iso in the root. Either the usb stick is bad, or the iso file is bad. The zip file that was originally uploaded, contains the log file from that persons install. You dont need the log file, its meaningless unless your own. The system will write a log file with the results of the installation when you are done.

#87 ·
Try recopying the file to the usb stick. If no joy, try a new usb stick. You only need the iso in the root. Either the usb stick is bad, or the iso file is bad. The zip file that was originally uploaded, contains the log file from that persons install. You dont need the log file, its meaningless unless your own. The system will write a log file with the results of the installation when you are done.
Thanks again for the reply, but I already tried 2 USB sticks. Both FAT32, both can play MP3s thru the car USB. The .iso is in the root dir. The system simply does not detect a .iso file. It reports zero files on the stick. It does not initiate an update.

Could it have anything to do with the car model or the year? (Venza 2013 LE). I don't have ANY apps installed, just the radio and BT features.

#94 ·
I just contacted Toyota and requested the USB software update. I thought that since my car was only a couple of months old, that it would have the latest software in it. I do not have app icons for iheart radio on screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.