Usb/Flash drive / itunes info - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)

7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012+

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View redakuma's Photo Gallery
Usb/Flash drive / itunes info

I ran into a couple days headache and thought i would share a fix for everyone. I was trying to download my itunes libary to a flash drive to plug into the usb port of my 12 Camry. Didn't want to leave my ipod in the car all the time. The problem i encountered was the car would not display or recognize all of my music 12 gbs worth when i did a simple copy and past from, itunes. during the transfer process something goes screwy and folder tags, id tags track tags get all messed up.

here is the fix,

I created several genre folders hip,hop rap, jazz ect on the flash drive
then in itunes switch to listing files by genre, then copied them to the flash drive by genra
and bada bing it all works and now i can listen to all my music.

hope i helped someone else. thanks
redakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redakuma For This Useful Post:
badbasic (08-20-2013), Four22 (07-04-2012), Mirza_99 (07-04-2012), Superman0670 (07-04-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

Gameroom cash: $258254
View BoltsFan's Photo Gallery
Probably the main problem you had was too many files in one folder. There are limitations on using a USB flash drive and as long as you set up your drive based on these limitations it should be fine. This info is in the manual but here it is anyway:

USB memory:
Maximum number of folder in device: 3000
Maximum number of files in one folder: 255
Maximum number of files in device: 9999

I have my drive folders set up by artist and then by albums by that artist. I then use playlists for genre related playback. Even though the manual says the display audio does not support M3u playlists I have found that this is not true as I use Mp3tag to create M3u playlists and they work just fine.

Last edited by BoltsFan; 07-04-2012 at 01:35 PM.
BoltsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoltsFan For This Useful Post:
badbasic (08-20-2013), Forever Corolla (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

thanks for the heads up,

any way to get the car to organize by artist? i can do folder and album and it will list all the track info.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View SonOfMI's Photo Gallery
Is there a limit to the capacity of a USB stick? Say for example Entune won't recognize larger than 16GB?
SonOfMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

i dont know yet, im still having issues with the car recognizing all my music even though it is filed within limits. ill do so more tinkering and get back to you
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Gameroom cash: $391401
Supreme Member
View lockdown36's Photo Gallery
can we get album art to show?
lockdown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

Hopefully this will answer a few questions. Keep in mind that I have the Display Audio w/Nav & Entune system so this is all I can give info on.
  • Organizing by artist - if your mp3 files are tagged (ID3 tag) you should be able to see song name, artist & album info. On the audio system I have I can select individual songs, select by artist name, genre or by album name as well as use playlists. Check out the manual as it has great info on this.
  • Album art - this will display based on one of two scenerios - the mp3 is tagged with the album art or there is a jpg file of the album art in the folder called "folder.jpg". I have some mp3's tagged with the album art but it adds to the size of the mp3 file so when I have multiple songs from the same artist I make sure the "folder.jpg" file is in that album name folder then all songs will display the album art. I remember seeing an option to "Display Cover Art" or something like that but it does not pertain to the system I have so if you don't see album art after insuring everything else is OK make sure to check to see if your system has this option and it is set properly.
  • As I mentioned I use Mp3tag to create playlists but it also allows you to update tag info, add album art to individual mp3s, etc. It is freeware and you can download it from the developer's website of CNET's download.com
I only have 787 mp3s loaded onto my 16 GB flash drive which is made by PNY. It is fast and seems to be reliable. I have noticed that for some reason the audio system says I only have 786 mp3 files. I am thinking it may be a file name issue, bad tag info or something like that. I am trying to track it down manually which is a PITA. When first using a USB drive make sure you let the system go through its recognition process which indexes the mp3s for quicker access. If you interrupt this process it may cause issues.

Last edited by BoltsFan; 07-05-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added additional album art info
BoltsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoltsFan For This Useful Post:
matsuya (07-05-2012), scanguy15 (03-14-2013)
Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View matsuya's Photo Gallery
Thanks for the info BoltsFan. What's the largest USB drive I can use?
matsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Gameroom cash: $391401
Supreme Member
View lockdown36's Photo Gallery
I'm using a 16GB, no problems there.

Having issues paring album art to MP3 file.

Did you use itunes to do it?

I think I Just did it. I'll check it out in a bit.

Build Thread
Latest Mod:
lockdown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

16 gb patriot no problems here now all good to go make sure your files are mp3s and your good to go, system will not play mpg 4s
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View matsuya's Photo Gallery
Anyone using larger than 16gb?
matsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsuya View Post
Thanks for the info BoltsFan. What's the largest USB drive I can use?
Glad I could help. Theoretically, according to the info I got from a techie from Toyota, there should not be a limit on the size of the drive you can use as long as you adhere to the file and folder limits previously mentioned. Some of the newer flash drives are USB 3 which should work but I have not tried one out. I know that USB 2 drives will work with a USB 1 slot but at a slower speed so unless the software won't let you use anything but a USB 2 drive it should work although at a slower speed than it is capable of.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

Gameroom cash: $147400
View Romeosworld's Photo Gallery
Yes. I'm using a 32gb scandisk. Works just fine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Romeosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Go Bolts!

missing song mystery solved

As I posted before I had loaded 787 mp3s onto my flash drive but the system only reported 786. All of these mp3s where in one playlist so when I call up the playlist it will show something like "236/786" instead of "236/787". The system apparently will not recognize folder names or album names beginning with "..." as the album name for the missing song was called "...Twice Shy". I first changed the physical folder name to eliminated the leading "..." and recreated the playlist but still no luck. I browsed by artist name in the audio system and the other song I have by that band on another album was present but the missing song and album name was still not showing up. On my PC I then edited the album name in the tag info to take out the leading "..." and recreated the playlist once again. When I plugged in my flash drive it resumed playing that playlist and now showed 787 songs (236/787) but when I checked the artist name the song was still not showing up. I changed to another playlist then back again and voila I have all 787 songs available to play.

BTW - the reason I took a 2 step approach, i.e. changing the physical folder name first, testing and then changing the album name in the tag is that I wanted to see if it was just a folder name issue, a tag info issue or both and now know it was both.

The interesting thing is that Windows XP has no problem with the folder name and Media Player (which I used to rip my CDs) had no problems listing the song in the playlist.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View m3kidd's Photo Gallery
Hi All, I'm having problems reading folders on my 16gb drive. I have all my music organized in folders and when I plug it in, I only see a list of all the files. No folder option.
m3kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)