#1 Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2012 Camry XLE Roof Noise

I just thought I would inform users of this forum about an issue I'm having with my 2012 Camry.

I have a Camry XLE purchased in December 2011. As soon as local temperatures hit an average of 55-60 degrees the roof began making noises. Popping, creaking, tapping, etc. I've had the car into the dealer 3 times now. The first time they didn't acknowledge the issue saying they couldn't reproduce it. The second time, armed with an audio recording of it, they acknowledged the issue, found a service bulletin on the issue, and performed the work associated with the bulletin. The specific issue was described to me by the service adviser as being a structural roof manufacturing issue.The issue persisted. Now, the car is in for the third time. They have had the car several days and performed several more fixes without any solving the problem. My understanding is that the roof layers had body glue applied to them, foam was packed between layers, foam was installed between the sunroof track and the mounting surface, and something concerning the pillars had foam/sound deadening installed. The interior has been disassembled several times thanks to the ongoing issue. My understanding is that the dealer has been in regular communication with Toyota looking for direction to solve the issue. I should also note that in the first week I owned the car the windshield broke without reason from the top right edge (when viewed from inside the car). It's my belief that the structural issue caused the crack.

Obviously I'm not happy. I'm being patient about the issue but I really do feel like Toyota sold me a lemon. I don't blame the dealer itself for the issue but at this point I wish I hadn't purchased the car.

Update: 2012 Camry XLE Roof Noise

Last edited by cschiffner; 11-12-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: added permalink to update #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
If there are any Toyota Techs out there I wouldn't mind seeing the specific TSB dealing with this issue. I haven't found a copy anywhere but the dealer did state that a bulletin for the issue existed.
#3 Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Official TN Member

about a week ago, i notice a "tap" sounding noise coming from the roof of the car. it's not a repetitive noise but just a single "tap" like sound and at time can here it two or three more times. it only occurs when road changes grade such as reversing out of my slightly incline driveway, over speed bumps, are really large imperfections on the road.

i was guessing two things here...one being a possible harness or the like not secured. i do have the moonroof package. or the other mostly likely cultprit called into question is the structural integrity of the roof manufacturing itself. the chassis will flex and how much depends on the engineering.

i'm not overly concern but i come to expect the noise now.

I have a 2012 SE btw.
#4 Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
In my case the noise is much more than an occasional tap. You can here audio of the noise here: http://www.schiffner.com/wp-content/...TrimmedMP3.mp3
#5 Old 07-19-2012, 11:40 PM
New TN User

Same problem with my 2012 Camry SE V6

I have the exact same popping roof noise problem when going over bumps or onto a driveway. It seems to only occurs if the car is angled relative to the speed bump/driveway.

I brought it to a dealer on a really HOT day and they could not reproduce it. Once the weather got cold, the popping roof noise came back. I'm going to bring it back to the dealer once I have time.
#6 Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Official TN Member

The popping from sunroof or reinforcement popping has been a concern since 2007 but multiple concerns can cause the same noise.

insulation on front corners
insulation sunroof frame
properly torquing sunroof frame (10mm nuts all around)
Insulating roof support or resealing

Various tsb's have been out over the years to rectify the concern but each time a revised model is introduced so is the noise. Mine does it every so often on a good body flex but it doesn't bother me at all...i expect some noises.

Sounds to me like the dealer is working with you as they opened a case with toyota for technical assistance. Just stay on top of it...as much as you never want a comeback sometimes it does happen especially for rattles.

2012 Chevy Cruze LT2 w/ RS package. arrives saturday 8/18/12
2012 Camry SE 2.5l - happily owned
The Following User Says Thank You to TOYOFORMAN For This Useful Post:
kaizenlpi (12-27-2012)
#7 Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 PM
New TN User

I have the same poppingissue

Only when I go into driveways the popping noise happens. I am interested in the TSB as well.
#8 Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM
New TN User

Same clunking!

My 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE has the same problem. It is driving my crazy!! It is 3 months old now with 6000 miles and it is getting worse. My dealer said that Toyota now knows about the issue and is working on a fix. I hope she is right.
#9 Old 07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
New TN User

i have a 2012 Camry Se v6 and i had the exact same issue. the back rear glass would vibrate when going over large bumps or rough rooad. it was more pronounced when it was really hot outside. i took it to the dealer and they even took a stethoscope to it trying to isolate the issue. They took the roof liner off and put alot of insulation they got from toyota. apparently there is a liquid sealant they put in there. since then the car has been fine and does not rattle. BTW the car is only 2 months old
#10 Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 PM
camse007

My 2012 Camry SE V6 has the same occassional popping sound from the moonroof area when going over bumps, uneven or wavy roads. It's been in for service several times and they removed the headliner each time and tried several fixes including this elusive TSB that's been around for previous model years. The problem still occurs and is annoying as hell. I have recordings to prove it happens.

Has anyone talked to the Kentucky manufacturing plant directly to see what's going on? I'm in Canada and am working with Toyota Canada for more information but that may take some time. Anyone interested in forming an informal group with the same issue?

For now, I turn up the XM radio and/or put the windows down to drown out the popping noise. However, winter's coming soon enough and driving windows down won't be an option!
#11 Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Official TN Member

5k miles my started doing it 2 I hate it I can't stand it ...this is my second Toyota and I'm not happy with it I guess its gone be my last one
#12 Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 AM
New TN User

i just noticed this, this week.. i thought it was a berry or something that fell off a tree (argh) but it happened again when i drove out of my drive port so i know it wasn't something that fell..

no bueno
#13 Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 PM
camse007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschiffner View Post
I just thought I would inform users of this forum about an issue I'm having with my 2012 Camry.

I have a Camry XLE purchased in December 2011. As soon as local temperatures hit an average of 55-60 degrees the roof began making noises. Popping, creaking, tapping, etc. I've had the car into the dealer 3 times now. The first time they didn't acknowledge the issue saying they couldn't reproduce it. The second time, armed with an audio recording of it, they acknowledged the issue, found a service bulletin on the issue, and performed the work associated with the bulletin. The specific issue was described to me by the service adviser as being a structural roof manufacturing issue.The issue persisted. Now, the car is in for the third time. They have had the car several days and performed several more fixes without any solving the problem. My understanding is that the roof layers had body glue applied to them, foam was packed between layers, foam was installed between the sunroof track and the mounting surface, and something concerning the pillars had foam/sound deadening installed. The interior has been disassembled several times thanks to the ongoing issue. My understanding is that the dealer has been in regular communication with Toyota looking for direction to solve the issue. I should also note that in the first week I owned the car the windshield broke without reason from the top right edge (when viewed from inside the car). It's my belief that the structural issue caused the crack.

Obviously I'm not happy. I'm being patient about the issue but I really do feel like Toyota sold me a lemon. I don't blame the dealer itself for the issue but at this point I wish I hadn't purchased the car.
I have done the same thing. Have they provided you any more information? Are you in the US or Canada and have you contacted Toyota US or Toyota Canada to register a complaint?
#14 Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM
camse007

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBAJBUSX View Post
5k miles my started doing it 2 I hate it I can't stand it ...this is my second Toyota and I'm not happy with it I guess its gone be my last one
Mine started after about 2,000kms. When you say this is your second Toyota, did the dealer replace the first one and you're still having the same problem with the second vehicle?
#15 Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM
camse007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmskamuri View Post
i just noticed this, this week.. i thought it was a berry or something that fell off a tree (argh) but it happened again when i drove out of my drive port so i know it wasn't something that fell..

no bueno
Do you plan on taking it in for service? Sounds like a few of us continue to have the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)