2012 SE -- am I the only one who's XM antenna stinks? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2012 SE -- am I the only one who's XM antenna stinks?

2012 Camry SE w/ XM radio. Am I the only one who's radio cuts out every time a spec of dust happens to float by the antenna? In other words, it's range is absolutely atrocious.

I love everything else about the car, and maybe this is picky, but man is it annoying to have constant cutout while listening to satellite. Now granted, some of my ride to and from work is tree covered, but mainly on one side of the street and I've owned other cars where this wasn't a problem. And maybe it's magnified due to the stupid static-like sound that Toyota built into the radio every time the signal is lost.

Is there any way to boost the antenna at all to pick up greater range?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Official TN Member

I have that issue in heavily wooded areas when I get too close to trees. It's annoying, but this is my first car where I subscribed to XM so I dont have anything else to compare it to.
#3 Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Official TN Member

Thats odd, my signal is no different than it has been in any other car I've had with XM. I know exactly where its going to cut out when I'm driving to and from work. But its still the same as I've had. You may want to have it checked out if its that bad...
#4 Old 07-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
mine gets cutoff under bridges or if inside a parking structure. if im not mistaken, satellite radio requires a direct line of sight to the satellite.
#5 Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyapanis View Post
if im not mistaken, satellite radio requires a direct line of sight to the satellite.
Yes and no...At the shop I work at, I can test the XM units in the garage, but have to pull the cars out for Sirius units..
#6 Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Official TN Member

My car is driven like a subaru and covered in mud. Still works fine except for a brief second when I pass under a bridge. I imagine this car would be horrible in NYC, as was my portable garmin GPS
#7 Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Official TN Member

gen 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96s281 View Post
2012 Camry SE w/ XM radio. Am I the only one who's radio cuts out every time a spec of dust happens to float by the antenna? In other words, it's range is absolutely atrocious.

I love everything else about the car, and maybe this is picky, but man is it annoying to have constant cutout while listening to satellite. Now granted, some of my ride to and from work is tree covered, but mainly on one side of the street and I've owned other cars where this wasn't a problem. And maybe it's magnified due to the stupid static-like sound that Toyota built into the radio every time the signal is lost.

Is there any way to boost the antenna at all to pick up greater range?

Thanks!
By the way, how did you get an XM radio with the SE....oh, you probably have it loaded with Entune etc. I imagine !!...in any case, I have the base SE and hard wired the Sirius radio....what do you guys think??...LOL..lame compared to the super-duper radio you have that you're complain' about

OH BY THE WAY, MY CHEAP AFTERMARKET RADIO DOESN'T CUT OUT...STRONG AS A BULL ; well only if I go through a tunnel or something that it flickers off !! If anyone is interested in hard-wiring an aftermarket Sirius, I can write-it-up w/ pictures as a DIY..

Last edited by vinniemak; 07-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.
#8 Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniemak View Post
By the way, how did you get an XM radio with the SE....oh, you probably have it loaded with Entune etc. I imagine !!...in any case, I have the base SE and hard wired the Sirius radio....what do you guys think??...LOL..lame compared to the super-duper radio you have that you're complain' about

OH BY THE WAY, MY CHEAP AFTERMARKET RADIO DOESN'T CUT OUT...STRONG AS A BULL ; well only if I go through a tunnel or something that it flickers off !! If anyone is interested in hard-wiring an aftermarket Sirius, I can write-it-up w/ pictures as a DIY..

Yeah I'm just rollin' in the dough lol. When I had my sportster radio a few years back with the same setup as you posted above, the signal was tremendous. Now that was a Sirius antenna when they were separate companies, and my signal isn't to the point if take it in for service, I was just curious if anyone who's had past antennas to compare to felt the same.
#9 Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Vinniemak why didn't you put your xm receiver in the cubby hole for a cleaner look ? I have the oyx series and that's where I put mine. It looks factory no wires showing and its tucked away.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
#10 Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Official TN Member

Sent from my iPhone
#11 Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Maybe Toyota screwed something up in cabling, receiver, or antenna placement. My 2009 Dodge Ram SiriusXM worked perfectly in my enclosed garage. It wouldn't even lose signal in a tunnel unless it was over 1/4 mile long. Then again, maybe the hardware has since gone to the lowest bidder post 2009.
#12 Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Senior TN Member

http://www.life123.com/technology/ho...k.shtml?o=3432

"An antenna needs a direct line of sight to the southern sky. Otherwise, signal quality lessens. In urban areas, repeaters are positioned to draw the signal. Then it is repeated to any antenna in the area. Towers hold repeaters in rural areas."

2012 Camry I4 SE
Toyota Owner's Manual PDFs
If my post helped you, then thank you for the thank you.
#13 Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Official TN Member

gen 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12silverse View Post
Vinniemak why didn't you put your xm receiver in the cubby hole for a cleaner look ? I have the oyx series and that's where I put mine. It looks factory no wires showing and its tucked away.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
The 2 wires you see are (1) for my phone from USB ; and the second is a power adapter wire for a spare phone I keep (for the wife !!). The cubby hole for a cleaner look...well I it's too cluttered in there. Show me a picture and I'll see if I can relocate the Sirius receiver. Thanks for your interest and also thanks in advance for the "picture"...
#14 Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 PM
New TN User

I have a Kenwood dvd receiver with the Sirius adapter that is made for the radio and uses the radio touch screen for tuning. I located the antenna just above the 3rd brake light on my Tundra and i rarely ever get any dropout unless really covered. Works find inside my wood garage too. Wont work in a metal garage. Trees have never been a problem as far Is I can remember. When I first installed the radio I tried to locate the antenna on top of the dash looking out the windshield but that caused a bad dropout problem. My Wife has a tuner adapter on her 96 cougar with the antenna on the trunklid just behind the rear window and no problems on that car either.
#15 Old 07-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Official TN Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Waco View Post
I have a Kenwood dvd receiver with the Sirius adapter that is made for the radio and uses the radio touch screen for tuning. I located the antenna just above the 3rd brake light on my Tundra and i rarely ever get any dropout unless really covered. Works find inside my wood garage too. Wont work in a metal garage. Trees have never been a problem as far Is I can remember. When I first installed the radio I tried to locate the antenna on top of the dash looking out the windshield but that caused a bad dropout problem. My Wife has a tuner adapter on her 96 cougar with the antenna on the trunklid just behind the rear window and no problems on that car either.
I have my antenna on the dash near the auto headlight sensor
i get drop outs all the time. i should try your idea with the antenna in the back of the car and see if it improves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)