Oil Filter Wrench Recommendations - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Oil Filter Wrench Recommendations

Did the first oil change on my 2012 Camry Hybrid which unfortunately has that very annoying cartridge filter arrangement. Having the cartridge probably doubled the time it took to change the oil. In any case I had originally planned to buy the Assenmacher ASSTOY640 tool. But, I left it too late and had to shop around locally. The Assenmacher based on recommendations from others is a very good tool, and if I was a professional, I would still buy it. Seems very heavy duty.

Could not find one locally, but a couple of auto suppliers (Bumper to Bumper, Dash Distributors) had a K-D Model 3253 End Cap Oil Filter Wrench. While the Assenmacher is designated as a 14 flat, 64 mm tool, the K-D is described as a 65mm 14 flute. I measured it with a vernier gauge to be 2.540" or 64.5mm from the center of a flat to the center of the opposite flat. It is stamped steel and is said to have a zinc coating, although it looks more like chrome. It takes a 3/8" square drive directly, or a 1" hex socket. I paid $10 for it, but you can also find them on line at Amazon or other places for less, if you can wait for delivery.

Short story? It worked perfectly. It fits on the filter housing of the 2012 easily, and while tight, is not snug enough to stay on without holding it. I was concerned about this as there are some reviews which state that it is too tight for some Toyota cartridge housings. Certainly not for this plastic housing on the 2012. I have no hesitation in recommending it for the home mechanic. It has a lifetime warranty, but I suspect you will ever need it.

I have used another filter wrench on a Mazda cartridge housing which is made of plastic, and has the name FloTool Super Graphite. While I made it work once, it is basically a piece of junk. The plastic flexes and jams on the housing. I had to shim it to keep it from slipping. Not recommended.

Hope that helps some. Here is a pic of the K-D 3253 tool.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron AKA For This Useful Post:
shum (04-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Beer steak & Texas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I got mine from dealer.
don't remember exact price, believe it was around $10.
all metal, perfect fit.
much better fit and quality than $6 wrench I got from Autozone some time ago.

RX350/STI-r/CustomShield/5K Retro
Independent Fogs
225/55/17Primacy/AvalonTouringWheels
B-Quiet/Pioneer
Beltronics&BlackSys

2012 MGM LE
#3 Old 10-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ron Aka,
What's your impression of the cartridge filter replacement process vs spin-on filter after having done a change on the Camry? What type of oil did you go with, ... Toyota since I recall you guys get it pretty cheap up there?

2012 Camry I4 SE
Toyota Owner's Manual PDFs
If my post helped you, then thank you for the thank you.
#4 Old 10-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doznI4SE View Post
Ron Aka,
What's your impression of the cartridge filter replacement process vs spin-on filter after having done a change on the Camry? What type of oil did you go with, ... Toyota since I recall you guys get it pretty cheap up there?
I went with Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20 (TGMO 0W20 as they describe it). Oil was $5.70 a liter, and the Toyota filter $7.83. Total with tax (5% here) for the 5 liters and filter was $38.15. They threw in the crush gasket for the oil pan drain plug. This is about as cheap as any oil change I have done, since starting to use synthetic. We don't get good buys on Mobil 1 that often, especially in 0W-20 grade.

I think the cartridge filter stinks, and as I posted before I think Toyota is doing it to try and discourage the DIY guys. Here are my reasons for disliking it:

1. Takes about 4 times as long to change compared to a spin on
2. Needs a special wrench
3. Has two places to leak - main body O-ring, drain plug O-ring, compared to one gasket on a spin on
4. The housing is plastic and easily damaged/cracked
5. The filter element is small. I like the physical size of the good old Fram PH-8A, i.e. BIG!
6. You can only partly fill it with oil before screwing it back in place, while you can usually totally fill a cartridge filter for vertical applications like this one.
7. If there is any debris like metal flakes or sediment in the housing it is difficult to clean. Everything goes to waste when you change a spin on.
8. The housing and drain back valve assembly is complicated and I suspect susceptible to being mis-assembled.
9. I don't buy the minimum waste argument. The cartridge costs more than a spin on (waste of my money!). Two O-rings are wasted, and there is that goofy plastic drain spout that is wasted too.
10. That drain spout doesn't really work that well. It is hard to push in, and when it finally does go in, you get oil all over you anyway. Probably will not use it next time.
11. And you really should have a torque wrench to install the filter at 19 ft-lbs, and the filter drain plug at 10 ft-lbs. You just hand tighten a spin on.

Now I suspect you wish you did not ask!

I did pick up a glossy pamphlet at the dealer on their oil. It said since the 2011 model year, most Toyota vehicles are factory filled with their TGMO 0W20, and that it is suitable for most vehicles going back to 2000. The oil container also says it not only meets API and ILSAC standards, but also meets Toyota specific standards for wear. Perhaps their wear test requirement is the reason for them custom blending with the high moly additive package.

Short story? Toyota has some good ideas, but the cartridge filter is not one of them!!!!

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid

Last edited by Ron AKA; 10-06-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Added point 11!
#5 Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
Now I suspect you wish you did not ask!....
Au contraire, I respect your opinion and agree with most of what you've said .

Advance Auto sells a Toyota oil filter cap wrench for $6 if anyone's in a pinch and has a store around - I have not tried this tool nor the AST, since I regretfully took my car to the dealer since I bought them and won't do that again after the bloody idiots scratched up my wheels.

I might try skipping draining the filter next time too. And it does see ridiculous that the filter elements and crush washer are overpriced.

2012 Camry I4 SE
Toyota Owner's Manual PDFs
If my post helped you, then thank you for the thank you.

Last edited by doznI4SE; 10-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.
#6 Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Beer steak & Texas

Quote:
and the Toyota filter $7.83.
contact this guy,
tell him you are from TN and molson.david sent you
he'll take $40 (10 filters + washers) shipped, CC or PayPal.
1-800-864-2438.
Nathan Hilton
Parts Manager
Dahl Toyota

Independent Fogs
B-Quiet/Pioneer
Beltronics&BlackSys

2012 MGM LE
#7 Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 PM
イリジウム

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Very good points. Particularly about the ridiculously small size cartridge and the weak filter cap. What a joke.

The "savings" makes perfect sense if you look from the standpoint of the manufacturers and how much they'll save on shipping. But even VW 2.0L filters are about 2x the size of this.
#8 Old 10-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Beer steak & Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
Very good points. Particularly about the ridiculously small size cartridge and the weak filter cap. What a joke.

The "savings" makes perfect sense if you look from the standpoint of the manufacturers and how much they'll save on shipping. But even VW 2.0L filters are about 2x the size of this.
size not always important:.
yodas" last longer than VW, especially engines.
doubt you would argue about that .
"older yodas had small filters too.

Independent Fogs
B-Quiet/Pioneer
Beltronics&BlackSys

2012 MGM LE

Last edited by molson.david; 10-07-2012 at 12:02 AM.
#9 Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 AM
2013 Tacoma

Did the first oil change on the wife's '12 RAV4 with the AR 2.5L engine today. The Purolator PureOne filter came with everything I needed and the job was not difficult. However I really had to push up hard when loosening and tightening the filter housing as my 64MM wrench was not a snug fit. I'm going to pick up one of the offical Toyota wrenches.

If you want to enjoy your car....stay off the internet.
#10 Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Sorry about this guys but I gotta ask ...when did you guys changed your 1st oil? Some people said 1st oil changed should be at 5,000K but some said at 10,000K. I know it's up to me but I just want info' from you guys. Thanks
#11 Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
contact this guy,
tell him you are from TN and molson.david sent you
he'll take $40 (10 filters + washers) shipped, CC or PayPal.
I suspect not practical from a cost of shipping point of view, as I am in Canada. The US and Canada have free trade, but nobody has told the shippers and duty processors yet. They typically want $25 to tell you there is no duty, and free shipping always seems to end at the Canadian border, even though Alaska is further.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
#12 Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I live in US and cost about $42 for 10 of them with FREE shipping. I heard cost about $5.54 for one from Dealer but I never go there to ask so anyway still great deal online and don't have to pay for Tax.
#13 Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Did the first oil change on the wife's '12 RAV4 with the AR 2.5L engine today. The Purolator PureOne filter came with everything I needed and the job was not difficult. However I really had to push up hard when loosening and tightening the filter housing as my 64MM wrench was not a snug fit. I'm going to pick up one of the offical Toyota wrenches.
You may find this comparison of the Toyota 04152-YZZA1 vs. PureOne PL25608 Filter of interest. It shows that the Toyota filter has nearly 80% more filter surface area. I was a PureOne fan, but this comparison convinced me to stay with the OEM Toyota (Denso) filter. The filter media on the PureOne may be finer, but remember that this filter now has to last for 10,000 miles, so it needs lots of capacity, and physically is not very big. However if we could put a PureOne PL30001 (PH8A size - 4" dia x 5" high) on it, then I would sure do a PureOne. What we need is for someone to make an adapter to allow a spin on. On my Mazda 3 I discovered that Mazda (Ford) made just such an adapter, and I put one on. Have found no such thing for the Camry.

If you are sticking with 5,000 mile change intervals then the PureOne may be an OK choice.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
#14 Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Toyota OEM is fine / GEEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
size not always important:.
yodas" last longer than VW, especially engines.
doubt you would argue about that .
"older yodas had small filters too.
Agree.

Go here and look at the pictures including the oil filter (same part # on all 3.5L V6 & 2.5L I4):

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4...-pictures.html

My oil filter looked identical at 5,500 miles/7months my last 09V6 Mobil1 oil change at dealer. My oil still looked clean. I had them put the filter in a ziplock bag and brought it home. It had very little dirt in it although it was the same dark color as the one in that picture. My conclusion: these OEM filters have high quality media and are good for 10,000 miles [although personally, I would never go more than about 7.5K on an oil change ... even with synthetic But that's just me !!!! .... I told my "ex" to go ahead with the 10K/1 yr on her '11 Highlander since it has a lifetime powertrain warranty.]

So of all the things on the planet to be upset about ...... don't worry about Toyota "ripping you off" for $1 on a filter that only needs to be changed once or twice a year !!!

BTW: Speaking of oil filter wrenches ... the Assenmacher Specialty Tools OFTOY1038 Threaded Oil Funnel is a MUST HAVE for us oil phobes:

synthetic oil for 2010 HL

post #38

Last edited by Paul3637; 10-07-2012 at 10:26 AM.
#15 Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme2012 View Post
Sorry about this guys but I gotta ask ...when did you guys changed your 1st oil? Some people said 1st oil changed should be at 5,000K but some said at 10,000K. I know it's up to me but I just want info' from you guys. Thanks
Personally I changed oil only at 4,000 km (2,500 miles), and then the first oil and filter at 8,000 km. In Canada the official Toyota warranty requirement is to do oil and filter at 8,000, 16,000, and 24,000 km, or every 5,000 miles. After that they specify every 16,000 km or 10,000 miles. In the US it appears all oil changes are every 10,000 miles. Not sure of the reason for the difference. Perhaps just a decision made by Toyota Canada vs Toyota USA. Could be similar to the tire thing. Canadian Camry XLE's seem to come with Michelin Primacy tires (made in US), while the US models come with Bridgestone Turanza.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)