2012 Camry: Instrument Cluster Lens Replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

7th Generation (2012+) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012+

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-13-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
'94 Camry V6/'02 Sequoia
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2012 Camry: Instrument Cluster Lens Replacement

Don't ask how I messed it up (long story), but I have to replace the instrument cluster lens, which is only about $30... problem is, my local dealer wants 2 hours labor @ $100per.

I'm a little clueless here, so am seeking some help from you guys who are a little more handy than I.

Much appreciated!

1994 Camry V6 XLE - Cashmere Beige (Totaled)
2002 Sequoia - White (Gone, and good riddance to the woman who drove it)
2012 Camry XLE - White
ToyotaJimD. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
BeerSteakTxas
 
molson.david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Intersection of Steak Ave. and Beer St.
Posts: 8,471
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Thanks: 408
Thanked 970 Times in 803 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
can be easily done in 30 min.
hang a little, have no time to wright step by step instructions.
will do later today.

RX350/STI-r/CustomShield/Osram-CBI
IndependentFogs
225/55/17/PirelliP7+/AvalonWheels/EBCultimax
B-Quiet/Pioneer/Beltronics/BlackSys

molson.david is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 AM
It's Official
 
GreatAvalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 8,267
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Thanks: 912
Thanked 912 Times in 773 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Shouldn't be too hard, especially with David's write up he's going to do. I have to tell you though, I am very curious how it got messed up. But you said not to ask, so I won't

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps
GreatAvalon is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 06-13-2013, 12:37 PM
BeerSteakTxas
 
molson.david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Intersection of Steak Ave. and Beer St.
Posts: 8,471
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Thanks: 408
Thanked 970 Times in 803 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
ok.
first you need to remove odometer cluster bezel.
1. lower steering column for better access.
use your fingers or wrapped into electrical tape screwdriver and pop up plastic piece on top of the steering column which is closer to the cluster bezel and hold bottom edge of the dust curtain between st. column and bezel.
2. pop out left dash cover and pull out left dash vent.
3. grab the bottom edge of the odometer cluster bezel and pull it out.
4. disconnect fog light and VSC switch harness.
5. angle bezel to yourself and slide it to the left.
6. remove 4 screws (one on each leg of the cluster), put some rag on the steering column and place cluster lens down on the rag. disconnect two connectors and slide the cluster to the left.

removing the lens.
1. use your fingers and press down lens side clips. there is 8-10 small clips on the lens, you'll need to start from one side and go around pressing them out one by one and pulling lens away from the cluster at the same time or they gonna clip back.
2. if you want no finger prints on the cluster and lens, don't touch cluster face and clean lens with LCD screen cleaner or alcohol and clean rag.

RX350/STI-r/CustomShield/Osram-CBI
IndependentFogs
225/55/17/PirelliP7+/AvalonWheels/EBCultimax
B-Quiet/Pioneer/Beltronics/BlackSys


Last edited by molson.david; 06-13-2013 at 12:41 PM.
molson.david is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
'94 Camry V6/'02 Sequoia
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Rockin! I'll give her a try!

1994 Camry V6 XLE - Cashmere Beige (Totaled)
2002 Sequoia - White (Gone, and good riddance to the woman who drove it)
2012 Camry XLE - White
ToyotaJimD. is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 06-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
A plastic trim removal tool, a philip head screw drive, 10mm socket, 12mm socket, and ratchet driver, you can disassemble the car in pieces.

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE Cosmic Gray/Ivory
2011 Sienna XLE Super White
89 Supra Turbo HID Conversion
89 Supra Turbo LED Conversion
89 Supra Turbo CarPC
2004 Matrix XR CarPC A moron in a Civic Hit n Run. Total loss.
MatrixPC is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
New TN User
 
DJLEGACEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
ok.
first you need to remove odometer cluster bezel.
1. lower steering column for better access.
use your fingers or wrapped into electrical tape screwdriver and pop up plastic piece on top of the steering column which is closer to the cluster bezel and hold bottom edge of the dust curtain between st. column and bezel.
2. pop out left dash cover and pull out left dash vent.
3. grab the bottom edge of the odometer cluster bezel and pull it out.
4. disconnect fog light and VSC switch harness.
5. angle bezel to yourself and slide it to the left.
6. remove 4 screws (one on each leg of the cluster), put some rag on the steering column and place cluster lens down on the rag. disconnect two connectors and slide the cluster to the left.

removing the lens.
1. use your fingers and press down lens side clips. there is 8-10 small clips on the lens, you'll need to start from one side and go around pressing them out one by one and pulling lens away from the cluster at the same time or they gonna clip back.
2. if you want no finger prints on the cluster and lens, don't touch cluster face and clean lens with LCD screen cleaner or alcohol and clean rag.
By any chance do you know where the flasher relay is located on the 7th Gen Camry. I read on another post that it was behind the instrument cluster. I followed these instructions and removed it but didn't see anything.

DJ LEGACEE
DJLEGACEE is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 PM
I Mod for Beer
 
Blochead21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 2,137
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thanks: 194
Thanked 250 Times in 223 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
There is no flasher relay on the gen 7's. It's integrated into the electronics now and not replaceable.

2012 Camry SE Black
RX-350/STI-R Retro Build Thread
Blochead21 is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 PM
New TN User
 
DJLEGACEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blochead21 View Post
There is no flasher relay on the gen 7's. It's integrated into the electronics now and not replaceable.
If that's the case then how can I install switchback LEDS for my turn signals? Or is the 14.5 compatible with the LEDs?

DJ LEGACEE
DJLEGACEE is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 PM
I Mod for Beer
 
Blochead21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 2,137
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thanks: 194
Thanked 250 Times in 223 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
You need to search. All of these questions have been asked and answered multiple times already.

2012 Camry SE Black
RX-350/STI-R Retro Build Thread
Blochead21 is online now  
post #11 of 16 Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Trd racer
 
tundrav8yamaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: kennesaw ga
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Thanks: 214
Thanked 46 Times in 42 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
Shouldn't be too hard, especially with David's write up he's going to do. I have to tell you though, I am very curious how it got messed up. But you said not to ask, so I won't
Found it thanks guys I wonder if he used armor all too laughing out loud

tundrav8yamaha is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tundrav8yamaha For This Useful Post:
GreatAvalon (07-19-2014)
post #12 of 16 Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 AM
It's Official
 
GreatAvalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 8,267
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Thanks: 912
Thanked 912 Times in 773 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrav8yamaha View Post
Found it thanks guys I wonder if he used armor all too laughing out loud
hahahahaha that's good! Glad you found it!

Also, great job being resourceful and searching for it

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps
GreatAvalon is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 01-26-2016, 11:58 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ORLANDO
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
ok.
first you need to remove odometer cluster bezel.
1. lower steering column for better access.
use your fingers or wrapped into electrical tape screwdriver and pop up plastic piece on top of the steering column which is closer to the cluster bezel and hold bottom edge of the dust curtain between st. column and bezel.
2. pop out left dash cover and pull out left dash vent.
3. grab the bottom edge of the odometer cluster bezel and pull it out.
4. disconnect fog light and VSC switch harness.
5. angle bezel to yourself and slide it to the left.
6. remove 4 screws (one on each leg of the cluster), put some rag on the steering column and place cluster lens down on the rag. disconnect two connectors and slide the cluster to the left.

removing the lens.
1. use your fingers and press down lens side clips. there is 8-10 small clips on the lens, you'll need to start from one side and go around pressing them out one by one and pulling lens away from the cluster at the same time or they gonna clip back.
2. if you want no finger prints on the cluster and lens, don't touch cluster face and clean lens with LCD screen cleaner or alcohol and clean rag.
I having trouble removing the top of the steering column.. it separates by the cluster but by the wheel I can't seem to find the clips. I'm not interested in forcing it and breaking any clips. Got any tips? :p
DeeX is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 PM
BeerSteakTxas
 
molson.david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Intersection of Steak Ave. and Beer St.
Posts: 8,471
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Thanks: 408
Thanked 970 Times in 803 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeX View Post
I having trouble removing the top of the steering column.. it separates by the cluster but by the wheel I can't seem to find the clips. I'm not interested in forcing it and breaking any clips. Got any tips? :p
There are 2 screws on the "steering wheel" side of the column. Turn the wheel 90 degree off center, remove one screw, then turn the wheel 180 in opposite direction and remove another screw. Then remove the screw that hold the bottom part of the cover.

RX350/STI-r/CustomShield/Osram-CBI
IndependentFogs
225/55/17/PirelliP7+/AvalonWheels/EBCultimax
B-Quiet/Pioneer/Beltronics/BlackSys

molson.david is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 01-27-2016, 06:58 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ORLANDO
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson.david View Post
There are 2 screws on the "steering wheel" side of the column. Turn the wheel 90 degree off center, remove one screw, then turn the wheel 180 in opposite direction and remove another screw. Then remove the screw that hold the bottom part of the cover.
I only need to remove the top portion. Where is the third screw? On the bottom?
DeeX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Back