Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/)
-   7th Generation (2012+) (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/)
-   -   "ECO" mode question (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/562129-eco-mode-question.html)

laurido92 07-18-2013 11:17 AM

I think the light is just a light. It doesn't change anything if you turn it off. The car will continue to do what it does as far as fuel efficiency but you won't know your are being "Eco friendly" If it annoys you turn it off, if that's the case then the cruise control light and headlight on indicator should really annoy some. Are you going to turn those off as well??

:facepalm: :headbang:

AndreyCo 07-18-2013 11:29 AM

From the owners manual, page 136:

During Eco-friendly acceleration (Eco driving), Eco Driving Indicator Light will turn on. If the acceleration exceeds the Zone of Eco driving, and when the vehicle is stopped, the light turns off.
Eco Driving Indicator Light will not operate in the following conditions:
●The shift lever is in anything other than D.
●The paddle shift switch is used. (If equipped)
●The vehicle speed is approximately 80 mph (130 km/h) or higher.
Eco Driving Indicator Light can be activated or deactivated.

In other words, it's not an eco "mode" it's just an indicator of how much you're pressing on the accelerator. My Prius has a eco light (indicating when i'm using the accelerator economically) as well as a eco mode (making the accelerator pedal less sensitive, making the HVAC system more efficient, etc), and they are different things.

onequan 07-18-2013 12:42 PM

Eco

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblackburn (Post 5305225)
There is no "Eco" mode on the Camry like other cars (Civic, sonata). The light doesn't do anything whatsoever regarding the AC, throttle position, etc. when it lights up. It's just telling you, "good job, you're accelerating as slowly as every other Prius driver on the road".

The jerk when slowing down is a mix of DFCO (deleceleration fuel cutoff - every car since some time around1990 has done this) and the jerky transmission downshifting.

I disabled it. It's incredibly annoying seeing that thing light up all the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

You are 100% wrong. When I say something about a toyota, it is not an assumption. I have conducted training sessions to explain features such as these. The eco feature is integral to attaining that 28mpg average. Why do you think the light does not appear when you shift into "S" mode? It is because the ecu no longer has automatic control of the shift points of the transmission. Do as you will with your car. If it is annoying, turn it off.

jblackburn 07-18-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onequan (Post 5306841)
You are 100% wrong. When I tell you something about a toyota, it is not an assumption. The eco feature is integral to attaining that 28mpg average.

Nope. Sorry. Eco is just a light. You're wrong.

jblackburn 07-18-2013 12:46 PM

*Unless it's a hybrid. That's probably different, but this is just for the I4 and V6 models.

onequan 07-18-2013 01:18 PM

Dealership

[QUOTE=jblackburn;5306849]Nope. Sorry. Eco is just a light. You're wrong.[/QUOTE/]
Ok. When you a certified toyota trainer who conducts trainings and sales techniques on ALL toyota vehicles, let me know. I am FULLY FULLY trained on ALL toyota features and benefits. That is my job. Check all my posts and you will see i don't know make frivilous posts. All my posts are one hundred percent knowledge based.
Go ahead, ask any question about any toyota that you think only a person with intimate knowledge of toyotas would know.:thumbsup:

jblackburn 07-18-2013 01:19 PM

[quote=onequan;5307057]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jblackburn (Post 5306849)
Nope. Sorry. Eco is just a light. You're wrong.[/QUOTE/]
Ok. When you a certified toyota trainer who conducts trainings and sales techniques on ALL toyota vehicles, let me know. I am FULLY FULLY trained on ALL toyota features and benefits. That is my job. Check all my posts and you will see i don't know make frivilous posts. All my posts are one hundred percent knowledge based.
Go ahead, ask any question about any toyota that you think only a person with intimate knowledge of toyotas would know.:thumbsup:

Dude, I don't care who you are. You're not right. The standard Camry non-hybrid model DOES NOT have different driving modes.

The hybrid model incorporates "Eco" and "EV" driving modes, just as in the Prius.

Quote:

Beginning in October, Toyota Motor (TMC) will equip models using automatic transmissions with an Eco Drive Indicator, a feature intended to encourage environmentally considerate driving.

The indicator is designed to help reduce CO2 emissions through helping drivers increase their vehicles’ fuel efficiency through better operation.

Based on a comprehensive determination that takes into consideration such factors (read: does NOT CHANGE THE BEHAVIOR) as accelerator use, engine and transmission efficiency and speed and rate of acceleration, the Eco Drive Indicator, located on the instrument panel, lights up when the vehicle is being operated in a fuel-efficient manner.

Toyota hopes this will raise driver awareness toward environmentally considerate driving and contribute to fuel economy.

Although results may vary depending on the level of traffic and conditions such as the frequency of starts from stop and of acceleration as well as distance driven, Toyota says that the Eco Drive Indicator can improve fuel efficiency by approximately 4%.

Toyota believes that sustainable mobility rests on three pillars: vehicles, the traffic environment and people. The Eco Drive Indicator represents one of TMC’s driver-awareness initiatives.

molson.david 07-18-2013 01:28 PM

[quote=onequan;5307057]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jblackburn (Post 5306849)
Nope. Sorry. Eco is just a light. You're wrong.[/QUOTE/]

get us a link supporting your "theory". I can get 44MPG on HWY and 28 city with light off.
there is nothing about "Eco" mode in manual. accord let say got "Eco" mode (not just a light) and it pretty nice covered in the manual - turn "eco" on and ECU sets different parameters for optimum performance. you actually can fill "eco" on on accord, felt no difference on camry when my light was on.

roberto1187 07-18-2013 01:29 PM

[quote=jblackburn;5307065]
Quote:

Originally Posted by onequan (Post 5307057)

Dude, I don't care who you are. You're not right. The standard Camry non-hybrid model DOES NOT have different driving modes.

The hybrid model incorporates "Eco" and "EV" driving modes, just as in the Prius.

Who's arguing? Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If you don't like someone's response simply ignore it. Have a question google it. Don't just challenge someone's knowledge. We are all here to help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

jblackburn 07-18-2013 01:30 PM

"Opinions" stated as "fact" because someone has "X" job are just annoying.

molson.david 07-18-2013 01:39 PM

[quote=roberto1187;5307137]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jblackburn (Post 5307065)

Who's arguing? Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If you don't like someone's response simply ignore it. Have a question google it. Don't just challenge someone's knowledge. We are all here to help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I was trained and certified once too. you not gonna believe what kind BS they told us in hope that we gonna pass it onto potential customers and help them to make "informed decision".

AndreyCo 07-18-2013 01:53 PM

Wow guys, you're really taking this to heart. As I posted an excerpt from the owners manual, it's just a light. The Camry Hybrid has a eco "mode". The regular camry does not.

Accord and Hundai, and probably others have an econ mode via a button - this button is NOT used during EPA testing. The eco light on the camry does NOTHING for the MPG, once again...it's an INDICATOR of your driving style.

I really don't care what kind of training you have, but everything is explained plain and simple in the manual...not sure why certain individuals here feel so entitled.

Camread 07-18-2013 02:01 PM

"Eco" means that the car is made of environmentally-friendly materials. ;) If you disable the light then it wont pass inspection ;)

jblackburn 07-18-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camread (Post 5307377)
"Eco" means that the car is made of environmentally-friendly materials. ;) If you disable the light then it wont pass inspection ;)

Some carmakers tried this environmentally-friendly approach back in the 90's.

Everything plastic broke within a few years, dashes rattled, door panels came unglued. Paint was crap (we've all seen black/dark green Honda Accords with the clearcoat peeling off).

Maybe they do it now and have just gotten it right, I don't know. But having owned several cars from that time period...ugh.

molson.david 07-18-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblackburn (Post 5307409)
Some carmakers tried this environmentally-friendly approach back in the 90's.
Maybe they do it now and have just gotten it right, I don't know. But having owned several cars from that time period...ugh.

flapping bumpers, thin paint, thin metal, no carpet... looks like you are right!
:)