arh
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2014 Camry LE XLE question

I am wondering how they ride. I have a 2012 and 2007 Camry. I am planning to trade the 07 this spring. I test drove an Avalon and was pretty surprised at how poorly it rides. Very harsh and noisy on our bumpy roads. Reminded me of my 87 Corvette. I thought Avalon was a luxury car but it sure does not have a luxurious ride. Other than that I like it, but the ride is a deal breaker.

I am hoping Toyota didn't screw up the Camry too, hence my question. I will get another Camry if they have not messed it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2014 Camry is the exact same as the 2012 you already have. There is no difference in the suspension. 2014.5 chassis have reinforced radiator core supports to pass OBD25 offset crash test. No difference in ride though. LE has much more comfortable seats-as stated by many on here and other webstes, the MY12+ LE Camry has perhaps the most comfortable seat in any car today.

The Avalon you drove must have been broke badly if you think it rides like C4 Vette-or you are missing one or more discs in your back. The Avalon ride is significantly better than the LE/XLE Camry, but is as stiff as an SE Camry, as it has similar improvements to the chassis as the SE Camry gets. If it is too harsh for you, then an LE Camry is the way to go. If you need the V6, get the XLE, but I wouldn't buy a 14 if you bought it for me. If you're really considering trading an 07, I would look for a CPO 13 XLE. You'll save your ass in depreciation. The ONLY reason to buy a 14 is for included entune-even though it is pretty much worthless outside of satnav.

What model is your 12? What Avalon model did you drive? IF it was a base XLE then you drove the wrong car altogether.
The Following User Says Thank You to HercFE For This Useful Post:
molson.david (01-09-2014)
#3 Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM
arh
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks HercFE.

My 2012 is an XLE 4 cyl with leather. I very much like it. The Avalon was a 2014 XLE. It had 17" Michelon tires. Driving at 55 down the highwy the bumps were shaking my hand on the wheel and were fairly loud. The wind noise supression was excellent. Driving back home on the same road in the 07 there was no shaking. My wife and I both agree it was a more comfortable ride in the 07. My 12 rides as good as the 07 but has less wind noise.

The roads around here are not too good so I really want a car with a soft ride. The Camry is pretty good at that. Better than the Accord we had.

The main reason I considered an Avalon was for a quieter ride, or so I thought. I guess I thought Avalon was a luxury car.

I will be trading cars in about May. I will keep the 07 until the snow season is over. I'll be getting another XLE 4 cyl with leather. I was just thinking about the Avalon so I decided to take a ride in it now.

Last edited by arh; 01-09-2014 at 01:07 PM.
#4 Old 01-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Official TN Member

Avalon is a luxury car. Make no mistake about it. It doesn't have to be a highline to perform like one. The ride and handling of the Avalon equals or exceeds that of of full size or entry level luxury offerings from Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, and even Audi and MBenz. You didn't like the car because it handles and rides like a sports sedan, which was the direction Toyota went with the MY13 Avalon and the MY12 Camry SE. If the Avalon and Camry SE are too harsh for you, much like an Accord, then the XLE Camry is probably what you need to be in-that is if you can handle those god-awful seats.

I currently have a 12 SE, and absolutely love the ride, but the new Avalon outperforms the Gen7 Camry in nearly every dimension, except for 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance, which is only due to the added weight. But if its soft and squishy you want, then you need to avoid anything that actively advertises the number of spot welds in the chassis for added rigidity-something Toyota has done for the SE Camry and the Avalon lineup.

If you really are considering an Avalon though, and want the ride of an XLE Camry, try the hybrid Avalon. It has a much much smoother ride, is softer all around, and is pretty darn peppy for a hybrid.
#5 Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Official TN Member

One more thing, waiting til May is a pretty dull idea. If you want the car now, get it now, there won't be a better time to buy than this month after the cold spell dealers are rushing to make their numbers this month-losing a week of sales time essentially, and you'll get a better deal this month than probably all year on the 13/14 Camry's. That being said, if you wait until September or October to buy and you're dead set on a new 14, then the deals will start to get crazy with the 15 coming out.

FWIW, I used to sell these tubs, and its the only car company I could stand behind-other than maybe Honda, but the absolute worst worst worst time to buy a car is in the warm months. May-September is when dealerships typically hold the most gross profit of the year, so buying during the deep freeze gives you a big advantage over the dealer who is just trying to move iron to make numbers. I saw an XLE V6 go without a trade for 23 grand during January just to hit a quota. Food for thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to HercFE For This Useful Post:
GreatAvalon (01-10-2014)
#6 Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Beer steak & Texas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
I will get another Camry if they have not messed it up.
I got 12 and 14 LE and both cars ride exactly the same, well my is a bit stiffer-I got 17" wheels on mine.
XLE would be a bit stiffer vs LE, cause 17" rims.

Quote:
Avalon is a luxury car
avalon plays in an entry luxury segment. IMHO new avalon looks more luxury then previous one, but rides pretty harsh and not as plush and comfy as 2007-12 avalons. gen 4 avalon interior looks modern and sophisticated, but materials are cheap and built quality is so-so.
Quote:
I will be trading cars in about May. I will keep the 07 until the snow season is over. I'll be getting another XLE 4 cyl with leather. I was just thinking about the Avalon so I decided to take a ride in it now.
Try CPO ES350. pretty sure you'll like it more then an avalon.

RX350/STI-r/CustomShield/5K Retro
Independent Fogs
225/55/17Primacy/AvalonTouringWheels
B-Quiet/Pioneer
Beltronics&BlackSys

2012 MGM LE

Last edited by molson.david; 01-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.
#7 Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 PM
New TN User

Any passenger car with 17 or 18 inch wheels will ride harsher than a car with 16 inch wheels. Throw in sport
suspension with 17/18 inch wheels (SE/SE Sport) and you step up a level in harshness. Toyota's (and most mfgrs)
plan is to sell more cars and they can do that by offering more bling in terms of the looks of 17/18 inch
wheels and the promise of sportier suspension. As for myself the reason I wanted a Camry was nice ride
(priority 1). I drove an SE, XLE, and LE on more than one occasion and I was quickly convinced that I had to have the LE because I was
not going to sacrifice my number 1 priority ride quality. I even went so far as to air down all the tires in each
vehicle to be the same. Dealers keep air pressure high to avoid flat spots in tires when cars sit on lots for
extended periods. I really liked the interior of the SE and I wanted to buy the SE but not at the
expense of ride quality. The SE and XLE both have 17 inch wheels. The SE has the sport suspension on
top of the 17 inch wheels. The XLE does bounce a little less than the SE but it still bounces over the slightest
road imperfections. For me, Toyota
messed up by putting 17 inch wheels on the XLE. They did this beginning with the 2012 model. Thats why you
see many people say that the new Camry doesn’t ride as soft as the old Camry...(its the oversize wheels guys).
People will tell you oh but the handling is way better in the SE. For my preference I do not want to sacrifice a
little better handling for a more bouncy ride. Again, the number 1 reason I looked at Camry was I wanted a refined
ride for a decent price. If I wanted a sportier handling car there are many others out there to consider. LE is the only
one that did it for me but everyone has different priorities. Does the Avalon have 17 inch (or larger) wheels? If so,
you got your answer.
#8 Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Official TN Member

Wheel size isn't everything in ride harshness. Drive a S class Merc with 19s or 20s and it feels WAY softer than any car with 17s. Of course, this has a lot to do with the $15000 suspension system, but it is relevant. Certainly your point is correct that the larger the wheel diameter the greater the possibility for firmness in the ride, but it lacks the most important factor-Tires. The sidewall stiffness of a tire is the single most important part of any wheel tire combo. I could put a 15" or 16" wheel on your car and give you a tire with a stiff sidewall that will make you believe you're riding on 20s with a 30 series tire. The larger wheel impacts the availability of sidewall stiffness to a degree, but if you want 17s or 18s on your car, there are tire options that will make it ride like your on a cloud-especially considering how ridiculously tall the Camry's stupid ass stock tires are.

IMO, the Camry should not have been offered with 16s, but rather 17s as the smallest wheel, and it should absolutely have been offered up with a better set of factory tires, because the cheap michelins and bridgestones are just garbage, and take a LOT away from the ride of the LE/XLE and the capability of the SE.

I think molson.david hit the nail on the head though, a CPO ES may be the exact thing you're looking for.
#9 Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 PM
arh
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
The morning I drove it was -15f. It was -6f when I drove it. I went down today and talked to my dealer. He said the car has been sitting for a few weeks outside. It was +20f today and I drove it again. What a huge difference. It rode very much smoother.

Long story short: I bought a 2014 XLE premium in creme mica. I'll pick it up in the morning. I was going to wait until spring, but you know how that goes.

Thanks for all the good comments.
#10 Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Beer steak & Texas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
IMO, the Camry should not have been offered with 16s, but rather 17s as the smallest wheel, and it should absolutely have been offered up with a better set of factory tires, because the cheap michelins and bridgestones are just garbage, and take a LOT away from the ride of the LE/XLE and the capability of the SE.
a lot of ppl still looking for an affordable and comfortable mid size car and LE with 16" wheels is the very best that market can offer for these buyers.
I drove a loaner SE for a few days and can tell you that even though my LE has 17" wheels and I keep 38/36 PSI tire pressure, it's noticeably more comfortable then SE on B-stones and 35/35 PSI.
stock LE Energy Saver tires are pretty good, at least they are grippier on the wet road and snow then Primacy and most likely they would over last Primacy too. not sure if Energy comes in 225/55/17, but I would definitely consider them next time when I need a new set of tires.
I went with 17" for the look, but practically didn't affect the ride.

RX350/STI-r/CustomShield/5K Retro
Independent Fogs
225/55/17Primacy/AvalonTouringWheels
B-Quiet/Pioneer
Beltronics&BlackSys

2012 MGM LE
#11 Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 AM
It's Official

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HercFE View Post
One more thing, waiting til May is a pretty dull idea. If you want the car now, get it now, there won't be a better time to buy than this month after the cold spell dealers are rushing to make their numbers this month-losing a week of sales time essentially, and you'll get a better deal this month than probably all year on the 13/14 Camry's. That being said, if you wait until September or October to buy and you're dead set on a new 14, then the deals will start to get crazy with the 15 coming out.

FWIW, I used to sell these tubs, and its the only car company I could stand behind-other than maybe Honda, but the absolute worst worst worst time to buy a car is in the warm months. May-September is when dealerships typically hold the most gross profit of the year, so buying during the deep freeze gives you a big advantage over the dealer who is just trying to move iron to make numbers. I saw an XLE V6 go without a trade for 23 grand during January just to hit a quota. Food for thought.
That is some great advice. Love hearing your tips from the "inside"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arh View Post
The morning I drove it was -15f. It was -6f when I drove it. I went down today and talked to my dealer. He said the car has been sitting for a few weeks outside. It was +20f today and I drove it again. What a huge difference. It rode very much smoother.

Long story short: I bought a 2014 XLE premium in creme mica. I'll pick it up in the morning. I was going to wait until spring, but you know how that goes.

Thanks for all the good comments.
Congrats arh!!! XLE Camry? 4cyl? Smart man listening to HercFE and buying in the cold

2014 Tundra Limited - DC | 5.7l V8 | 4x4 | TRD | Luxury Package | 30% Tint | VLEDS Interior/Exterior

2012 Camry SE-TRADED | 2014 RAV4 Limited-JBL, BSM, LDA | 2013 RAV4 Limited-TOTALED
#12 Old 01-10-2014, 03:36 AM
arh
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
Congrats arh!!! XLE Camry? 4cyl? Smart man listening to HercFE and buying in the cold
Thanks.

Actually I bought the Avalon XLE premium. After driving it in 20 degree weather rather than -6 it rode quite nicely. On the first drive the car had been sitting for several weeks and we have had a 4 day stretch of -20 degree days. I suspect it was froze up a bit. When I drove it today if is a firm ride but nothing like the first drive. It was much quieter. The one I bought is not he one I drove but it was the same model as mine. The XLE has 17" and came with Michelons. Same tires as my 2012 XLE Camry.

Last edited by arh; 01-10-2014 at 03:50 AM.
#13 Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 AM
It's Official

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by arh View Post
Thanks.

Actually I bought the Avalon XLE premium. After driving it in 20 degree weather rather than -6 it rode quite nicely. On the first drive the car had been sitting for several weeks and we have had a 4 day stretch of -20 degree days. I suspect it was froze up a bit. When I drove it today if is a firm ride but nothing like the first drive. It was much quieter. The one I bought is not he one I drove but it was the same model as mine. The XLE has 17" and came with Michelons. Same tires as my 2012 XLE Camry.
sweet!

2014 Tundra Limited - DC | 5.7l V8 | 4x4 | TRD | Luxury Package | 30% Tint | VLEDS Interior/Exterior

2012 Camry SE-TRADED | 2014 RAV4 Limited-JBL, BSM, LDA | 2013 RAV4 Limited-TOTALED
#14 Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 AM
New TN User

Congratulations on the New Avalon, and great choice! When I had a loaner for an 11" a few years back, I liked it so much I kept it for a week. They truly are a nice riding vehicle and I think you will be quite pleased!

-Ed
2012 Corolla S 5sp (Super White)
2013 Nissan Sentra CVT (Arctic White)
2014 Camry SE I4 (Magnetic Gray Metallic)
#15 Old 01-11-2014, 10:36 AM
New TN User

I have a 2013 LE with the extra value package that included the 16in alloys with Michelin Energy tires, Chrome front grille, rear lip spoiler, fog lights, and 8 way power adjustable seats. My car definitely rides good and looks good as well even with the 16in wheels. I came from an 06 Acura TL and the Camry is definitely more comfortable and a little quieter. Color of my 2013 Camry is Attitude Black Metallic with ivory color seats and black carpeting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)