Toyota Nation Forum banner

Paint trouble

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  hankfan79 
#1 ·
Ha've had this car for about a month. Its black, have used mequiars ultimate compound and polish and can't seem to get swirl marks out. Also I am using the da polisher that hooks to a drill. The swirls are minor nit it's not the finish I am looking for. Should. I just wax it Or use something like black wax.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 · (Edited)
I have black too and will be correcting the swirls soon. I've just been waiting for some time and some nice weather.

Waxing it won't remove the swirls. A black wax may hide them some but it's just a filler.

You need something like M105/m205 by Meguiar's. If the swirls are light you might be able to use just the 205. There are a bunch of other products out there that will give you the same results, that is just what I use.

I'll be using a Porter Cable 7424xp.

Here's a pretty good link. You can see they got some pretty good results by hand in the door handle picture.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/polishing-how-to-with-meguiars-m105-m205/

#7 ·
I have black too and will be correcting the swirls soon. I've just been waiting for some time and some nice weather.

Waxing it won't remove the swirls. A black wax may hide them some but it's just a filler.

You need something like M105/m205 by Meguiar's. If the swirls are light you might be able to use just the 205. There are a bunch of other products out there that will give you the same results, that is just what I use.

I'll be using a Porter Cable 7424xp.

Here's a pretty good link. You can see they got some pretty good results by hand in the door handle picture.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/polishing-how-to-with-meguiars-m105-m205/
Nice. I will be picking up the m105 for myself. Tons of small scratches and nicks around the door handle!

#8 ·
^Depending on how bad, you might not need M105. I got some serious crap up with M205. But I used a PC 7424XP. Also used a decently aggressive pad to help.

The key phrase to keep in mind is start with the least aggressive method that will get you the desired results. So start w/ M205 on a test spot. Does it get you results you're happy with? If not, either step up to a more aggressive pad, or step up in product. So product would be M105. Start with a light cut pad, see if you're happy. If not, then go to a more cut pad.

If you use M105, you're going to need to go over it all again with M205 to leave a nice, shiny finish. Especially if using a da polisher like the PC 7424XP

#12 ·
You don't need to use a random orbital/da to wax. Most people probably prefer to apply wax/sealant by hand and that's fine.

Yeah 205 is a great product and will take out a lot of damage on it's own. I'd always start with it and then move up if needed.
Yea, I was impressed. I'd still rather my Menzerna line up, but M205 can definitely be quicker and easier since it doesn't have to break down. Easier for a beginner as well.
I figured the 105 was the lighter of the two! I'll start with 205 then.
There you go :D

Reactions: KYRANDY
#13 ·
Unless the car was damaged and repainted I doubt it would have buffer swirls from the factory so I assume they are just spider swirls, I have had pretty good luck with this product and a Porter Cable DA and a finishing foam pad. I used it on my 70 El Camino SS with base/clear Fathom Blue/White stripes, it made a 90% difference then applied Meguiars Carnauba Gold wax by hand, pleased, yep.
Our Camry is white so what can I say:dunno:
NSF
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17616-SwirlX/dp/B001O7I7H6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398391349&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=swilrX[/ame]

#14 ·
There are definitely stories of buffer swirls and rids from factory, often referred to as "factory installed swirl option" or FISO. So if your car makes it through the factory with none, then there is a great chance your dealer jacked it up, let alone if your dealers "detailer" got his hands on it to fix anything. That is called DISO, or dealer installed swirl option.

Lucky you got white, life is so much easier :D

#15 ·
Sorry Matt but I am an avid looker at cars and I have to disagree that paint from the factory on the majority of cars does not have buffer marks. Now other deficiency's like orange peel YES, I SEE PLENTY OF THAT, and panels that aren't laid down correctly when fixing pre sale dent or mishaps.
Of course that's JMHO
And white is right :thumbsup:
NSF

#16 · (Edited)
I wasn't saying the majority of cars, just that FISO definitely exists. Doing a google search will yield some results from detailing sites. One story I've heard of a FRS where the buyer himself pulled off the white plastic saran wrap that was on the paint and with his detailing oriented eye found swirls on the paint. That saran wrap gets put on at factory, so factory had to put the swirls in.

That being said, simple swirls are definitely not as severe as rids. I was just saying that there are stories of both coming from the factory out there.

Unrelated to factory installed, but rather dealer installed - it is easy to go on dealer's lots and find imperfections with lots of vehicles. IDK if its majority, minority, 25%, 50%, but I do know its easy to find imperfections with a critical eye. Imperfections being swirls, fine straight line scratches, etc. (excluding orange peel). My friend was looking at a new SRT8 Jeep the other week and we went to look at it and I found plenty of paint imperfections all over it. With a critical eye, and if it has been washed by the dealer (especially multiple times) there is a good chance there are swirls, etc on the paint unfortunately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.