#1 Old 04-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Paint trouble

Ha've had this car for about a month. Its black, have used mequiars ultimate compound and polish and can't seem to get swirl marks out. Also I am using the da polisher that hooks to a drill. The swirls are minor nit it's not the finish I am looking for. Should. I just wax it Or use something like black wax.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
redx590 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddavis29 View Post
Ha've had this car for about a month. Its black, have used mequiars ultimate compound and polish and can't seem to get swirl marks out. Also I am using the da polisher that hooks to a drill. The swirls are minor nit it's not the finish I am looking for. Should. I just wax it Or use something like black wax.

I have black too and will be correcting the swirls soon. I've just been waiting for some time and some nice weather.

Waxing it won't remove the swirls. A black wax may hide them some but it's just a filler.

You need something like M105/m205 by Meguiar's. If the swirls are light you might be able to use just the 205. There are a bunch of other products out there that will give you the same results, that is just what I use.

I'll be using a Porter Cable 7424xp.

Here's a pretty good link. You can see they got some pretty good results by hand in the door handle picture.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ars-m105-m205/

Last edited by csch79; 04-21-2014 at 03:25 PM.
#3 Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks I will try that hope it helps. Although my technique may be wrong as in not enough pressure on the da or not enough polish

#4 Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddavis29 View Post
Thanks I will try that hope it helps. Although my technique may be wrong as in not enough pressure on the da or not enough polish

It could also be the pad. What kind of pad are you using?
#5 Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
The pad that comes with the ultimate compound. I am using the da power system that attaches to a drill

#6 Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Red pad for compound, yellow for polish

#7 Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csch79 View Post
I have black too and will be correcting the swirls soon. I've just been waiting for some time and some nice weather.

Waxing it won't remove the swirls. A black wax may hide them some but it's just a filler.

You need something like M105/m205 by Meguiar's. If the swirls are light you might be able to use just the 205. There are a bunch of other products out there that will give you the same results, that is just what I use.

I'll be using a Porter Cable 7424xp.

Here's a pretty good link. You can see they got some pretty good results by hand in the door handle picture.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ars-m105-m205/
Nice. I will be picking up the m105 for myself. Tons of small scratches and nicks around the door handle!

Morimoto 5k-Nokya 7k Fogs-35% tint-No Chrome-Mud guards-Int/lic plate/rev LEDs-Cup Holder LED-Remote starter-MIT Pedals
#8 Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 AM
It's Official

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
^Depending on how bad, you might not need M105. I got some serious crap up with M205. But I used a PC 7424XP. Also used a decently aggressive pad to help.

The key phrase to keep in mind is start with the least aggressive method that will get you the desired results. So start w/ M205 on a test spot. Does it get you results you're happy with? If not, either step up to a more aggressive pad, or step up in product. So product would be M105. Start with a light cut pad, see if you're happy. If not, then go to a more cut pad.

If you use M105, you're going to need to go over it all again with M205 to leave a nice, shiny finish. Especially if using a da polisher like the PC 7424XP

2014 Tundra Limited - DC | 5.7l V8 | 4x4 | TRD | Luxury Package | 30% Tint | VLEDS Interior/Exterior

2012 Camry SE-TRADED | 2014 RAV4 Limited-JBL, BSM, LDA | 2013 RAV4 Limited-TOTALED
#9 Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Make sure you use a random orbital buffer when you wax your car

2013 Camry se i4
#10 Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
^Depending on how bad, you might not need M105. I got some serious crap up with M205. But I used a PC 7424XP. Also used a decently aggressive pad to help.

The key phrase to keep in mind is start with the least aggressive method that will get you the desired results. So start w/ M205 on a test spot. Does it get you results you're happy with? If not, either step up to a more aggressive pad, or step up in product. So product would be M105. Start with a light cut pad, see if you're happy. If not, then go to a more cut pad.

If you use M105, you're going to need to go over it all again with M205 to leave a nice, shiny finish. Especially if using a da polisher like the PC 7424XP
Yeah 205 is a great product and will take out a lot of damage on it's own. I'd always start with it and then move up if needed.
#11 Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post

I figured the 105 was the lighter of the two! I'll start with 205 then.

Morimoto 5k-Nokya 7k Fogs-35% tint-No Chrome-Mud guards-Int/lic plate/rev LEDs-Cup Holder LED-Remote starter-MIT Pedals
#12 Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM
It's Official

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfjax View Post
Make sure you use a random orbital buffer when you wax your car

2013 Camry se i4
You don't need to use a random orbital/da to wax. Most people probably prefer to apply wax/sealant by hand and that's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csch79 View Post
Yeah 205 is a great product and will take out a lot of damage on it's own. I'd always start with it and then move up if needed.
Yea, I was impressed. I'd still rather my Menzerna line up, but M205 can definitely be quicker and easier since it doesn't have to break down. Easier for a beginner as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspaced25 View Post
I figured the 105 was the lighter of the two! I'll start with 205 then.
There you go
KYRANDY likes this.

2014 Tundra Limited - DC | 5.7l V8 | 4x4 | TRD | Luxury Package | 30% Tint | VLEDS Interior/Exterior

2012 Camry SE-TRADED | 2014 RAV4 Limited-JBL, BSM, LDA | 2013 RAV4 Limited-TOTALED
#13 Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Unless the car was damaged and repainted I doubt it would have buffer swirls from the factory so I assume they are just spider swirls, I have had pretty good luck with this product and a Porter Cable DA and a finishing foam pad. I used it on my 70 El Camino SS with base/clear Fathom Blue/White stripes, it made a 90% difference then applied Meguiars Carnauba Gold wax by hand, pleased, yep.
Our Camry is white so what can I say
NSF
Amazon Amazon
#14 Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 AM
It's Official

Garage
There are definitely stories of buffer swirls and rids from factory, often referred to as "factory installed swirl option" or FISO. So if your car makes it through the factory with none, then there is a great chance your dealer jacked it up, let alone if your dealers "detailer" got his hands on it to fix anything. That is called DISO, or dealer installed swirl option.

Lucky you got white, life is so much easier

#15 Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Sorry Matt but I am an avid looker at cars and I have to disagree that paint from the factory on the majority of cars does not have buffer marks. Now other deficiency's like orange peel YES, I SEE PLENTY OF THAT, and panels that aren't laid down correctly when fixing pre sale dent or mishaps.
Of course that's JMHO
And white is right
NSF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 7th Generation (2012+)