Toyota Nation Forum banner

Limited Service Campaign, Certain 2012 - 2014 Camry

110K views 242 replies 66 participants last post by  Ak1900 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Anyone recently look up for Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns for your car? I just lookup my VIN number and it shows that there is a Limited Service Campaign (LSC) E03 - Certain 2012 - 2014 Model Year Camry Vehicles - Software Update for U760E Torque Converter Shudder. So, should i take my car to dealer for this service? Thank you

Reactions: sesport
#9 · (Edited)
I took my 2012 Camry SE in for an oil change two weekends ago, and they told me about the recall and did the software update while they had the vehicle. I definitely notice less vibration. I'm really happy with the results. Short answer: yes, do it. It doesn't take very long, but the results in my car were significant.

Here's a description of the problem:

Some 2012 Camry vehicles may exhibit an intermittent shudder when lightly accelerating after an
upshift around the following speeds: 26 mph (42 km/h) (4th), 36 mph (58 km/h) (5th) and/or 44 mph
(71 km/h) (6th).

A torque converter shudder is a brief shake or shudder in the vehicle when internal clutches apply inside the torque converter. They refer to this application of clutches as "lock-up." Often this problem is mis-diagnosed and sometimes they needlessly rebuild transmissions as a result.

A quick test

On many vehicles, one way to identify a torque converter shudder is lightly touching the brake pedal. While carefully maintaining vehicle speed with one foot, delicately apply the brakes with the other. If the shudder immediately stops, with brake application, the problem is likely the torque converter clutch. When the operating system sees brake application, most vehicles release the torque converter clutches. A trained transmission-service technician can also test for torque converter lockup using a specific vehicle scan tool. These tests are important as a slight engine misfire very often causes the same sensation and is may be mistaken for a torque converter shudder.

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
• This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60
months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

#41 ·
Interestingly enough mine has a pretty severe shudder at 40 mph. I took it in hoping they could just do the software update, but my brand new 2014 camry is NOT covered by the recall, but is covered by another TSB that requires replacement of the torque converter. My dealership said they had done 2 torque converter replacements. Apparently there are no more torque converters and I am having to wait for one to be manufactured in Japan. Wow.

So some of the torque converter issues are covered by software update, some are not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.