Toyota Nation Forum banner

Do you like the 2015 Camry design more or less than 12-14' Camry"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poll: Do you like the 2015 Camry design more or less than 12-14' Camry"?

191K views 2K replies 145 participants last post by  hardtopte72 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey TN.
I'm not trying to start anything bad here or offend anyone and just want to see which age group like or dislike the 2015 more or less than the 2012-14 Camry.
The original thread http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...842-saw-2015-today-still-feel-same-about.html has a poll too, but it covers only “If you like the 2015 Camry better” part of the TN and the above posted poll should cover both “like more" and "like less” groups and should give a pretty accurate breakdown on the age of the voters.
There are 5 "like more" and 5 "like less" age groups, so please read all the options and select a proper age group before voting.
Any opinions, comments and any related to Toyota and Camry discussions are welcome.
And please be polite and respectful to others, REMEMBER, moderators are watching and personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Thanks.
:chug:

2012-14 LE/LE Hybrid

2012-14 XLE/XLE Hybrid

2012-14 SE/SE Hybrid

2015 LE/LE Hybrid

2015 XLE/XLE Hybrid

2015 SE/XSE/SE Hybrid

See less See more
#11 ·
What was Toyota thinking? Do they really want a Camry to have the look of a huge front grill ala Mitsubishi? Late model Lexes' ar just about as bad but not quite. If there was a good reason, like better engine cooling or whatever it might make sense but this is Hideous. I was going to trade my 2012 SE for a 2015 but not now. Looking seriously at either a Passat or Mazda 6.
Why would a manufacturer, of the most sold car for the past umpteen years, decide that its core constituency, read "The over 30 crowd ", be willing to risk that large buyer group's loyalty and purchasing power to "target" a younger group, that is looking for an even sportier image than any stylized Camry could ever give.
Go figure !!! Toyota are you listening ?

#12 · (Edited)
^The 2015 Camry supposed to appeal to much younger buyers, but considering that the younger people don't buy family sedans and in many cases simply can not afford a brand new 25K car, Toyota may lose a lot of potential buyers just cuz of the 2015's design.

I think 12-14 exterior didn't need much to be the best looking car in the segment and a few minor improvements like nicer wheels, a bit reshaped HID/LED headlights and fogs, more aggressive bumpers, reshaped/less chrome LE and XLE grills would be more than enough, but I would concentrate the attention on the interior improvements like better materials for the door cards and center tunnel, redesigned stereo/HVAC unit, quieter interior, maybe a few more interior color combinations and more attention to the storage options like bigger glove box, cup holders/tunnel draw with lids and a frigging shelf in the armrest storage that I had on Gen 6, but for some reason it was dropped on Gen 7 and I had to mickey moused it myself so I have a place for the little things.
IMHO that would cost much less than the 2015's new sheet metal, but would make much bigger difference and influence on the buyers than the redesigned 2015 exterior with very minimal interior improvements.

#13 ·
^The 2015 Camry supposed to appeal to much younger buyers, but considering that the younger people don't buy family sedans and in many cases simply can not afford a brand new 25K car, Toyota may lose a lot of potential buyers just cuz of the 2015's design.
I don't think its a "younger people" issue per se...the competition has stepped it up and the Camry was starting to lose a few more buyers. Accord is still hot on the tails and a few others like the Fusion have increased their sales year after year. Those incentives have helped keep them at the top, because there's never been a great time to get a great deal for a Camry.

For those not in the know:
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130701/RETAIL01/307019977#ixzz2XnFRwwWZ

Will Toyota lose potential buyers with the 2015 refresh? Who knows...let the sales figures speak for themselves. I'm sure the Camry will still be a top seller.

#19 · (Edited)
We are glad that you enjoy your LE and will be driving it until its wheels fall off:clap:...
hell no; I'll be looking to replace it at around 100K and/or 7-8 years old and if everything will go according to the plan I'm planning to get a new set of wheels in 2018-19. :)
And the Accord has always been known to be "sportier" than the Camry.
This is true only about pre 2012 Camry and pre 2008 Accord. Try a new accord with CVT and see what you think.
The Accord with 6MT is a different story, but the CVT is just boring to death and will put you asleep unless your stereo is blasting or there is a hot girl in your passenger seat... :)

Reactions: 02920
#21 ·
hell no; I'll be looking to replace it at around 100K and/or 7-8 years old and if everything will go according to the plan I'm planning to get a new set of wheels in 2018-19. :)
You know you want these :grin:

This is true only about pre 2012 Camry and pre 2008 Accord. Try a new accord with CVT and see what you think.
The Accord with 6MT is a different story, but the CVT is just boring to death and will put you asleep unless your stereo is blasting or there is a hot girl in your passenger seat... :)
I liked what they did with the SE model, but not a fan of the new look 2015, much like how the 2014 Corolla S doesn't look as aggressive as my 2009.

However, I'll agree that the Accord isn't the handler it was before. It still does decently, as the 90s were the best era of it with a very nice suspension setup. I'm just fond of 90s era Hondas because many had them in HS and college. Of course, a 6 speed Accord makes it a different beast. Obviously, there's still some here that wish a 6 speed Camry was offered.

#22 ·
2015 is a much better looking as I had a chance to seat inside 2015 XLE yesterday waiting for the transmission ECU flash. But there is no way I am spending a $34K Camry or even a Honda Accord. Who would really spend $34K on a grocery mobile? Camry and Accord have been good buys at $20K but I am not too sure at $34K even if 2015 Camry is a very good looking car.

#26 ·
:)
The average age of the Camry buyers is 51-52 and looks like that group is the most active one on the forum. Honestly, I was wrong on both counts: first I thought that the most of the members would like the 2015 Camry over 12-14 and I was wrong that the most of the active Gen 7 forum are 30-40 years old.

#24 ·
Funny the difference of opinions. I'm 31 and voted I like the 15 less. Still not sure why toyota changed so much when the 12-14.5 were so "new". I feel like it should be a gen 8 camry because it really doesn't resemble the gen 7 at all other than the fact it is just a major facelift.

Reactions: molson.david
#25 ·
I like the front end of the 15 better than my 12 LE. But it doesn't come close to how good the 12-14.5 SE front end looks. The rear of the 15 I'm not a big fan of seeing as how generic it looks.
With that said, I have not voted since I am clearly in the middle.

There are aspects of the 15 that are aesthetically pleasing to me and some that aren't.

#28 ·
So the 12-14.5 LE vs the 15 LE you would go with the 15 LE and the 12-14.5 vs the 15 SE you would prefer the 12-14.5 SE???
I also don't like the 12-14 LE front end but I don't like the 15 LE front end even more.

#29 ·
Yes exactly. Plus another factor is, I like big mouth grilles. Partly the reason for my 05 Audi a6. That was the first year they added it to that model.

Also some brands now are doing big grilles. Look at the new Ford line-up, Audi still has them too, let's not forget Lexus. Its only natural for everyone to follow the design that trickles down from a high end luxury car. (I.e. Bentley and Rolls Royce) That's what kids want anyways isn't it.

Btw I'm 24 if that matters.

#35 · (Edited)
I do not care for the glossy, dipped plastic honeycomb look of the SE and XSE front-end grille at all. Yuk!!! However, the more muted and conservative finned front-end grille of the LE and XLE is much better in my opinion.

If I was to get the 2015 Camry it would be a XLE V6 in Silver Metallic with Black Leather, and pretty much loaded.

#36 · (Edited)
IMHO if they would delete these fake C-pillar windows

and would make the side grills 25-30% smaller (see the passenger side), a bit thicker center portion of the bumper between the lower and upper grill and smaller Toyota logo

it would be much nicer looking car.
Could someone Photoshop Gen 7 tail lights on the 2015? :)

Reactions: nata77
#37 ·
For people living in states (such as Texas where I live) that require a front license plate to be displayed, the Camry's front licence plate looks pathetically ugly.

#43 · (Edited)
I just voted as well...in this poll and with my wallet. I think the 2015 is hit and miss at best...but overall its a slight improvement over the 2012-2014.5 models. I had the opportunity to check out several models last weekend and here's my assessment. I just turned 29, just purchased a new midsize sedan as well. I didn't drive any of these models i just spent some extensive time in them at various dealerships.

Exterior Styling:

LE/XLE models are an improvement, SE and XSE models not so much. The SE model in particular doesn't even look sporty anymore. The alloys are less distinct, the car overall just looks less distinctive (I liked the body kit on SE models) and the taillights need to be LEDs. They overall shape of the rear end reminds me of the old Lexus ES from few generations back. I actually prefer the updated front end of the LE/XLE models, its a bit more distinctive and tastefully done than the SE/XSE trims.

As I mentioned, I'm no fan of the new taillights, I didn't particularly like the previous taillights either but the new ones look less distinctive and would look much nicer if they were LEDs. XLE/XSE models should at least have LED tails. The "faux" side pillar actually doesn't bother and works to really break up the same ole roof line the Camry has had since MY2002.

Alloy wheel choices are rather generic, only the XSE's 18s catch my eye...Mazda, Honda and Ford have nicer wheel designs overall.

Toyota ought to make alloys standard on the LE models...the new wheel covers are nicer, but still look terrible compared to the Accord LX's standard alloys.

Interior:

Most of the interior materials have been updated, thankfully, as I found the current Camry's interior to be a notch are two below the Accord, Fusion, new Sonata and Optima. I'm glad that the XLE is now available with black leather (I think that might be a first) and most of the audio/climate controls have been updated for better style and more quality feel. However, the Camry still is not class-leading from an interior materials standpoint.

Door panels still have hard, brittle plastics, the lower dashboard still feels hard and cheap and there are other areas of apparent cost cutting...for example, the rear headrest still are nonadjustable.

The LE's cloth is a slight improvement, SE models feel like a downgrade compared to 2012-2014.5. I do however like the updated leather upholstery and leather/suede combos in the XLE/XSE trims.

I'm a bit surprised that XLE/XSE models don't offer memory seats: Accord, Fusion, Sonata and Optima do.

One area where Toyota seems to have Honda, Ford and others beat is in the infotainment systems.Ford was supposed to offer wireless charging on the Fusion, but it never happened, the Entune system works flawlessly and is less obstructive and easier to use than HondaLink, Sync and Mazda's tiny system. I really liked most of the functionality.

Overall, I'd say the Camry is a decent improvement, but for me the improvements don't move the needle enough for me.

For all the money Toyota invested in the Camry's exterior, I think they could have given the car just a simple updated front end, nicer taillights at the back with further improved interior quality and more interior content (better plastics, less cost cutting, etc)
I don't think the average buyer is gonna care about a more "stylish" Camry per se, i think most buyers looking at the Camry expect great value, good room, reliability and resale, but style? Not really and to my eye the updated "style" still can't touch the Mazda6, Ford Fusion, Kia Optima or even the Accord Sport. The XSE models move the needle a bit, but everything else just blends into the crowd.

I ended up with a Fusion...and so far I love it. Picked up the elusive 1.6t/6spd manual model, loaded. If I'm going to go sporty, I'd lean more toward the Fusion (which I bought) or the Mazda6...if I wanted luxurious I'd be more inclined to choose the Accord or Optima.

#44 ·
So far it appears 1/3 like the 2015 and 2/3 like the 2012-2014.5.

Hard to know if there is a bias in the results though due to being on the Gen 7 forum but appears more like the old style.

Oh well. Can't wait for mine to arrive in a week or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.