17 Camry XSE with JBL ENTUNE Audio Plus. Saids it has 8 speakers in 10 locations but - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2012-2017

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
17 Camry XSE with JBL ENTUNE Audio Plus. Saids it has 8 speakers in 10 locations but

So the 17 XSE comes standard with the Entune Aduio Plus JBL sound system. It saids it has 10 speakers in 8 locations.

Counting the number of speaker vents there are 3 in the front; 2 at front passenger doors and 2 at the rear near the rear glass above the trunk. That makes it for 7 locations but wait there is more. Heading to the the rear and opening the trunk one of the speaker grill is a fake. No actual speakers in it.

So I went to the JBL site and found this https://www.jbl.com/toyota-camry-us.html

So they are doubling up some of the speakers. But still shows I'm missing speakers in locations they claim I should have.

This is what Toyota saids I should have and all the docs and features on the audio system lead me to believe I have this system.

Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App23 and JBL Audio includes Entune Multimedia Bundle16 (7-in. high-resolution touch-screen display, AM/FM CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, ten JBL GreenEdge speakers in eight locations, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port32 with iPod33 connectivity and control, advanced voice recognition,21 hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming38 via Bluetooth29 wireless technology), Connected Navigation Scout GPS Link App,23 Siri Eyes Free,27 SiriusXM Satellite Radio9 with 3-month complimentary SiriusXM All Access trial, HD Radio,12 and HD Radio traffic and weather in major metro areas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
There should be 2 smallish (3") speakers on the left and right of the rear deck / c pillars. They do not protrude through the bottom into the trunk. Only the bottom of the 6x9 "subwoofer" is visible from the trunk side.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 PM
Account canceled

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Aside from the matter of the value of getting fewer speakers than you believed you paid for, if the performance of the system is good (loud with low distortion, wide bandwidth, good soundstaging,) then the number of speakers is thoroughly incidental. In some cars it's done with just four; with others, more than 40. To say that differently, more is not necessarily better. Btw I looked at the JBL link and saw the front door speaker design: thoroughly run-of-the-mill.

Best,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapirc View Post
Aside from the matter of the value of getting fewer speakers than you believed you paid for, if the performance of the system is good (loud with low distortion, wide bandwidth, good soundstaging,) then the number of speakers is thoroughly incidental. In some cars it's done with just four; with others, more than 40. To say that differently, more is not necessarily better. Btw I looked at the JBL link and saw the front door speaker design: thoroughly run-of-the-mill.

Best,
Mark
All the speakers are there...10 "speakers" in 8 locations. That's a marketing game everyone has played forever. Like Truthhunter said, the other 2 can't be seen through the trunk.

The speakers just need to be efficient and clean. Most of the JBL/Harman sound comes from the cabin eq tuning and DSP. Even the greatest speakers can sound like garbage with bad source and eq.

'17 Camry XSE V6 - Midnight Black - Eibach Pro Kit, Progress RSB, 15% Tint
post #5 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
There should be 2 smallish (3") speakers on the left and right of the rear deck / c pillars. They do not protrude through the bottom into the trunk. Only the bottom of the 6x9 "subwoofer" is visible from the trunk side.

Bingo! I never once noticed the those little vents. Thanks a lot crisis averted.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Account canceled

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
"The speakers just need to be efficient and clean. Most of the JBL/Harman sound comes from the cabin eq tuning and DSP. Even the greatest speakers can sound like garbage with bad source and eq."

There are a few million vehicles on the road where I've had a significant hand in designing one or more of the speaker drivers. So a few comments:

1. Efficiency has no direct impact on final sound quality except with respect to EQ inaccuracies to cover production shifts in Fs, due to an overly high Qts.
2. "Clean" is just another term for mostly low distortion, and ideally for good temporal response. The latter is tricky: the perfect driver with a true delta function for its IR, can, in the cabin/system, where acoustical "ping-pong" predominates, create a net IR at the listening position that looks as hashy as a field of weeds.
3. All automotive sound, it could be said, is strongly influenced by EQ, independent of OEM.
4. "Even the greatest speakers can sound like garbage with bad source and eq." True. But conversely, the worst speakers will never sound good, even if the source and EQ are great.

Most OEM car systems (Toyota included) come closer to the latter category than the former. It's cheaper to put high quality into the electronics that count, than into the loudspeaker drivers. The drivers have significant non-linearities that cost real money to fix. However, electronics in the A chain and today's ubiquitous class-D for the B chain, are highly linear, "for free."

Soundstaging is a discussion unto itself. It's generally true that more drivers, up to a point of diminishing returns, can give better and more consistent soundstaging for all cabin occupants, than can fewer.

Stryder 911, good to hear your crisis was averted. So, rubber meets the road, how does it sound?

Best,
Mark

On edit:
I don't like the excessive use of acronyms, and here I catch myself doing just that. To save time hunting all over the web for those who may be interested:
EQ = equalization: a processing of the speaker's input signal, to create a target acoustic frequency response transfer function under a particular measurement regimen.
DSP = digital signal processing. The other kind is obviously analog.
Fs = free-air resonance. Here, Fb is really the more pertinent term since the driver is mounted in some kind of baffle or enclosure. But Fs is far more widely recognized than Fb, hence my use of it. Fs or Fb can change depending on a myriad of factors.
Qts = total quality factor in free-air. Quality factor is proportional to the energy stored per cycle, to the energy dissipated per cycle. As above, Qtc is the in-baffle equivalent.
IR = Impulse response. Only perfectly linear devices possess a unique one, and loudspeakers are far from linear, so the IR for a speaker is not unique but signal-dependent. The ideal, perfect IR conforms to a (Dirac) delta function: it has infinite amplitude, infinitesimal width, and an integral of one. The FT (Fourier transform) of a delta function has constant amplitude over frequency.
Class-D (amplification): the use of pulse-width or pulse-density modulation of a digital input signal, to yield, in the power output, through the loudspeaker driver, an analog acoustic output signal. Class-D has been prevalent since the 1970's in automotive vehicles.
A-chain: typically less than 5v, and very low power, signal processing. B-chain: high power.
OEM: original equipment manufacturer.

Last edited by mapirc; 02-19-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > Camry 7th Generation (2012-2017)