Toyota Nation Forum banner

Getting close, road noise and tire size, make, other

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  pjsmithres 
#1 ·
I am off to drive the ES tomorrow but did drive the Avalon last week as I posted. Things I have noticed, the mirrors are different on the Avalon, close to the body as opposed to sticking out from the body. 17" tires vs. 18" standard on the Touring and LTD.

On my drive of a LTD hybrid with 17 inch Michelin Tires the car road nose wise was really quiet. I have driven a couple of Touring with 18 inch Bridgestone tires and the road noise was pronounced. Road and wind noise are issues for me, big ones and since developing Tinnitus this is really a yes or no issue.

So is it the Michelin tire or the combination of the Michelin and 17" that make the Avalon quieter on the highway? It is not about the hybrid engine as this is road noise. I found Wind Noise to be contained, not perfect but pretty darn quiet.

I will know more after tomorrow on the ES which I think has a nicer looking front end but the cost difference will be quite a bit..

Also a question that I am sure only I can answer, I will get the XLE touring or the LTD with the Tech pack (probably with 17 inch wheels if I do this). I like the Pre collision and the lane departure options but at $5K list price difference I really have to think about this. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
BB

See less See more
#4 ·
Also a question that I am sure only I can answer, I will get the XLE touring or the LTD with the Tech pack (probably with 17 inch wheels if I do this). I like the Pre collision and the lane departure options but at $5K list price difference I really have to think about this. Any thoughts are welcome.
Dynamic radar cruise control, part of the tech package on my 2013 Hybrid Limited, is my single favorite feature on the car. The combination of DRCC, and the car's isolation from outside noise, makes long drives (like my monthly round-trip from Washington DC area to New York City) a relaxing experience. I haven't experienced activation of the precollision system, and the 2013 model year doesn't have lane departure warning.

#5 ·
I haven't experienced activation of the precollision system, and the 2013 model year doesn't have lane departure warning.
About a month after I got my car I was driving to my daughter's basketball game. Something to the left of me distracted me. I took a glance to see what it was and in that same instant the guy in front of me decided to slam on his brakes. The pre-collision system kicked in and saved my butt. To tell you the truth the sudden alarm and anti-lock brakes going off was more startling then anything else. I'm glad it worked. :wink:

Reactions: BB11
#6 ·
Thanks guys, my Subaru has the dynamic cruise, pre collision, and all the other things the Avalon LTD with Tech has and I love those things.

One dealer has a '14 hybrid in stock LTD with Tech but wants to much for it. Too bad, if the deal was good enough I would buy it. I don't drive enough to demand the hybrid but this one was particularly quiet but I attribute that to the 17 inch wheels and Michelin tires. I may have to ask them if they want to go a bit down in price...but I bet they will not

#7 ·
use TRUECAR.COM pricing and make inquiry at another dealer.

When I was shopping cars everyone would beat the other guy.

Good luck and don't do without the DRCC

#9 ·
ES350 = noticably less road and engine noise than the Avalon, noticably smoother ride, noticably softer seats. Base ES350 is $5,000 more than base Avalon. In big cities Lexus dealers offer 10-13% off the MSRP price and 1.9% financing for 60 months through Lexus financial services.

I also suggest you look at the 2015 Camry LE or XLE. Ride is noticably softer than the Avalon, road noise is a bit less, engine noise the same, seats less hard but not as soft as the ES350.

I researched all three cars for months and rented a total of three Avalon XLE's.

#11 ·
My 14 TAH with tech pkg.
Talked to fleet dealer and we agreed to 11% off sticker no matter which model of Avalon I chose before I picked one.
He ordered one exactly as I wanted (everything) and said it took 6 weeks and came in 7 weeks.

#13 ·
Drove the ES with luxury Pkg today, so not the double windows, don't know if they are Acoustic like the Avalon or not. It drove great and was quiet both wind and road noise. Now the avalon was alway quiet from wind noise but not road noise but the difference I have a feeling was the 18vs17inch wheels and the Bridgestone vs. Michelin tires, so if all were equal I am not sure there would be a difference in noise. The ride itself of the ES reminded me of the days when I would drive my uncles Cadillac, very nice. I have to drive the Avalon once again. I do not have pricing yet but know the ES will be more money with a few different options (I would not get the navigation pkg for $1700 for an option I barely use, I would just get a stand alone unit).

It will all depend on the cars being equally as quiet and the end deal. I will be getting the technology type pkg options on either unless the price makes me nuts and I have to think of something lesser.....

#17 ·
Quietest Tires for Avalon

I have an Avalon Hybrid Limited with every option Toyota offers. My favorite thing is the Dynamic Cruise Control. However the Avalon has more road/tire noise than my old Camry SE. I did a lot of research and went to Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) and researched "quiet tires" and came up with the quietest of all tires tested being Kumho Ecsta. I bought a set in 225/17 (versus standard 215/17 and the difference is AMAZING. Tar strips no longer so harsh and road noise dramatically improved. The car handles well and I am very pleased with the results.

#20 ·
I would expect that you have to have min 30K on the clock to replace the tires.

Get what you like. You have to live with them.

I've seen the Kuhmos and they seem soft and fine.
Price seemed to be ok

Discount Tires here in San Diego (America's Tire in other places) guarantees happiness. If you don't like what they put on, you can return (or change them).

off track a nudge
Wife's old Volvo 900 needs tires and I'm going to jump out on a set of Michelin Premiers.

I will report back if anything is noted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.