Toyota Nation Forum banner

2016 Avalon Limited - Weird Dashboard Messages

11K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  arh 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Hoping someone here might be able to help. I been driving new Toyota Avalon 2016 (Limited - with Safety Sense package) for four months and i see some messages that does not make sense. I called the Toyota dealer and they seem to be kind of clueless and also called the toyota 1-800 number they weren't much help so far. This is my first Toyota ever, i was really hoping for better response from them - now i am hoping i cant be the only one seeing these and can find someone here who might know a thing or two about these

I am attaching the screenshots i took while driving (sorry for the bad quality) but the messages i see are:
1) A message 'Please take a Rest' with coffee sign. (i was only driving for like 10 minutes when this come up)
2) A Message 'Time until Rest' with Green circle around it (showed up on rather short commute to work)
3) A message 'Time until Rest' with white circle around it (right after the above message)
4) My car telling me my current fuel economy is 99.9 while driving in heavy traffic. I understand current fuel economy can be much higher than average economy, but i didn't even think 99.9 was possible?

Appreciate any help anyone can provide. My car have had some other weirdness (phones not charging randomly, bluetooth connection issues, master warning light come up without any warnings etc) and i took it in two times, but the dealer wrote it off "not being able to recreate issue/a software upgrade might be coming". I am taking the car back in next week, but in the meanwhile please share anything you know if you can

Thanks much!
Raj

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My 3 cents
No factual knowledge, but I suspect the lane keeping feature is generating this.
I don't have that feature (my 2014) but the screenshot show an Icon that looks like the drift into the right lane.
There may be a detection and algorithm that gives you that warning after 5 times drifting in 5 minutes? Also the warning may be able to be disabled or adjusted for more or less frequent drifting.
Or you have been hacked by the EPA and you're on candid camera

#3 ·
Could be something to do with your lane keeping sensors (really just agreeing with pjsmithres).

As for the fuel economy, my 2015 XLE Touring will say 99.9 IF I'm above a certain MPH, and coasting, and only then. If you're in heavy traffic, which I assume is stop and go, then seeing 99.9 while coasting under 30 MPH would be out of the ordinary, for me at least. The 2016 model could say 99.9 regardless of how fast you're going while coasting. Maybe a few other '16 owners can chip in on that.

My phone will sometimes not charge, but that's based on the angle that the cable is in, compared to the phone, try wiggling the wire, if you haven't already.

As far as the bluetooth being spotty, it may be a matter of priority. I've gotten a new phone since I got the car, before I got the new phone, my phone and my girlfriend's phone were connected, and the car auto-assigned them priority. Now, say for some reason we have to go somewhere and take both cars, he phone will connect to my car, before my new phone will. The only real way to fix this issue, is for me to turn the car off with her either out of range, or with BT off. I should just remove her from priority, but I never remember. Also, if your phone is older, then it may be the software on the phone that is messing it up, (ever since the new Android update, my Note 4 has been really slow, and I have more connection issues).

Hope this helps! Any pictures of the car?

#4 · (Edited)
I appears that you drifted, or sensor thinks you drifted from the lane. If it did this a few time it assumes you're tired and is telling you to rest and get coffee. That's my guess.

Maybe it should say "quit texting" or "stop putting lipstick on":smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.