Toyota Nation Forum banner

2017 Navagation Update

22K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Kadena 
#1 ·
My Toyota dealer has been telling me the 2017 Navagation Update will be in the last of November. Now I am told it will be February.

#3 ·
Would appreciate if you would let us know if you get your Navagation updated on December 7. Besides my Toyota dealer telling me it would be about February, a couple of other Toyota dealers told me February or March. I emailed Toyota Customer Service. I received an answer from them but they did not tell me anything.

#4 ·
Is this for the little sd card that is in the dash or something different? Our '16 has the card in the dash - does the Limited have the same system?
What are they charging you for this update and how recent will the info be?

#5 · (Edited)
Updated the Nav data.

I added a note covering my Nav update yesterday but don't see it here; let's have another go at it.

The Service Dept at my local Toyota Dealer tells me the Nav update is provided in one of three ways to various model years, DVD, USB stick and Internet download. My 2014 Avalon Limited is via Internet download.

Cost:
The Password (provided on a card)..... $169.00
Labor to install.................................. 120.00
Washington State Sales Tax 8.4%......... 24.28
----------------------------------------------------
Total.............................................. $313.28

It took and just under 2 hours.

P.S. Should have gone across the river into Oregon; no sales tax.

#7 ·
I added a note covering my Nav update yesterday but don't see it here; let's have another go at it.

The Service Dept at my local Toyota Dealer tells me the Nav update is provided in one of three ways to various model years, DVD, USB stick and Internet download. My 2014 Avalon Limited is via Internet download.

Cost:
The Password (provided on a card)..... $169.00
Labor to install.................................. 120.00
Washington State Sales Tax 8.4%......... 24.28
----------------------------------------------------
Total.............................................. $313.28

It took and just under 2 hours.

P.S. Should have gone across the river into Oregon; no sales tax.
Thanks for the information Don. Sure appreciate it. That is an exhoribant price. I don't know whether I will have mine updated or use my Garmin. Probably just use my Garmin. It is easier to use and will take me where I want to go.

#6 ·
Don!

What did you get for the update?
Is there a summary of changes?
Does the navigation change?
Is the voice recognition working?
Does it improve or fix the USB/MP3 interface?

Is the update necessary or is it invisible?

#9 ·
Arh - That is my opinion exactly. I will not pay for the update. I have a Garmin that I used in my previous car. I am going to use it in my Avalon. The price that Toyota wants for the update is just a form of extortion to my opinion.

#10 · (Edited)
Navigation Update: Additional info

Hi guys and gals,

Here's a bit more info on what you get for the $300+ Navigation update. The $120 Activation Card states the following statements in English and Spanish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations!
This pamphlet contains the code that enables your Toyota Navigation system to be upgraded with the latest Navigation Map Update.

Map Installation
Your Toyota Dealer Service Technician now has the training and equipment to install the Navigation Map Update into your vehicle. (Additional dealer installation fees may apply).

Technician: Please refer to the appropriate Toyota Motor Sales TSIB for the detailed installation procedure.

Map Summary and Improvements
* Approximately 20% of the over 8 million POI counts have changed (restaurants, hotels, etc.)

* Over 200,000 miles of new roads and over 50 metropolitan areas have been updated.

* Map database includes over 6 million miles of road with hundreds of new subdivisions added.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No mention or notice of any other changes or improvements.

Here's something for those who commented on Garmin, 'saw a You Tube where it showed you how to update your Nav for a very competitive cost; scene one, showed the guy putting a suction mount on the face of the Toyota car screen; scene two; snapped a Garmin unit onto the suction mount.

Or, just mount an iPhone holder on the dash and use Google Maps!

One of the valuable parts of the Toyota Nav system is the display shows the upcoming Exits and Rest Areas. My wife's Yorkie, Boo Radley but responds to Boo has become my shadow appreciates the Rest Areas to stop and stretch his legs, and other tidy-ups.

Bottom line; the update is spendy but, did worse when I think of those 23 years of buying cigarettes.

#12 ·
I wonder how up to date the "latest" map update is. I have heard that our 2016 Avalon purchased in June had the latest update when purchased and it was dated in 2014 or so. So it would be interesting what date is on the latest being sold.
It baffles me that Toyota thinks it competitive to offer map upgrades for the prices they do. It is only software or at worst a new DVD or micro SD card they need to provide, so there is minimal cost there. Then to charge $120 labor for a half hour max job is really a rip-off.
Offer me a map upgrade for $50 to $75 and I would probably think about it but not for $300 plus.

#21 ·
Did That

I did exactly that with the recent purchase of my (lease return) Avalon. I also asked for a new (Toyota branded) windshield (the desert is hard on them). Both were granted as part of the deal. Unfortunately the most recent nav update DVD is still back ordered. The dealer has no clue when the newest map will be released. :|

#17 ·
When I bought my Avalon I did not know it would cost $300.00 for a Navagation Update or that it would require a smart phone with unlimited data to operate the worthless Entune system or I would not have got those options. I would have bought a lower trim Avalon or another make of car. Probably another make of car. Ridiculous.

#18 ·
Agreed:

- NO Sunroof
- NO Nav
- NO Entunes
- Traffic doesn't work around here, nor does the Weather, so I wouldn't get those features either.

Wouldn't be great if Garmin (and or others), made a unit, or part of another unit, where you got their nav system. I love mapping out trips then exporting to my Garmin, so it takes me where I want to go, the way I want to go.

As for Smart Phone for Entunes, don't know as I don't have a cell phone:) I will say, having features that can only be used at additional monthly costs, kind-of-sucks.

As far as a different car … many I drove had the same issues. I couldn't custom order and so I was going to get things I didn't want, in order to get those I did want:(

#22 ·
I decided to update my Navagation. I contacted several Toyota dealers. None of them knew when the 2017 updates would be in. One dealer told me it would be best to just order one. I did that and I had it updated today. Cost a total of $325.00.

#24 ·
The update was $169.00. They installed it. The labor to install it was $115.00. I think the amount of labor they charge depends on the type of Navagation you have. The cheapest labor charge they had was $65.00 and the highest was $165.00. Also I think the amount of the labor charge varies from one dealer to the next. I don't know how long it actually takes for them to update it. I sat in the waiting room at the dealer for 3 hours. I doubt if it actually takes that long. You know how you get screwed around when you have work done on your car. When the parts person at the dealer ordered the update for me he told me to go to my car and write down the 4 numbers that are near the radio knob. That is how they determine what type of update you need for your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.