Toyota Nation Forum banner

Newbie and question

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Vet Interested 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
Just picked up a 2016 Ltd. Crimson w/ gray interior. Traded wife's 2011 Acura RL Advance. Ltd is not as nice as our son's Lexus Ultra 350, but, for us older people, it is more than enough car. I think it is quieter than the Acura and doesn't require Premium gasoline. Didn't get the Safety package. Always found it annoying on the RL. The adaptive cruise control cost me about 2 mpg during our many trips up north (we live in Williamsburg, VA. the rest of the family lives in Connecticut). Found out the adaptive feature constantly slows and speeds up the car to maintain the set spacing. Wound up setting it to zero spacing and it goes to normal cruise control. The only disappointment I can think of is the unavailability of parking sensors. Always found them useful if you can't see the front/rear bumpers.
I do have one question. Bought a set of Body Side Mouldings on line. They came without installation instructions. Does anyone have the measurements
or a copy of the install instructions? Thanks, it would be greatly appreciated. Oh, my ride is a 2013 Corvette GS convertible, 6 spd. manual. I may be retired, but, I am not fully grown up. :grin:

#3 ·
I bought mine two years ago and installed myself
had No directions either. the parts guy looked up an install for the mechanics, somewhere and printed for me, but it was terrible because it had measured points off. the rear bumped the front door so I took about 4 hours and figured this out.
I'll try to give you my install.

Get some blue painters tape. this is SO important. Try before you buy, because once it touches the sticky tape, you're done. It's super sticky and unforgiving.
Tape it in place and then try it.
I used a craoyla crayon to mark spots on the car. wipes off easily

Measure 24 inches high and 3.5 inches back from the front edge of the front door.
This is the pointy mark of the front of the molding.

Measure 25 inches from floor and 1/2 inch back from the trailing edge of the front door.
This is the lower edge of the end of the molding.

Tape it in place.

The back one is a little tricky.
You must leave enough room for the molding to not rub when the closed front door back edge hits the open back door molding.
If you open the door fully, it will interfere with the molding.

Now
The rear point. Mark it 27 inches high and 28 inches from the end of the front molding end. The front of the rear molding is 1 1/8 from the front edge of the rear door.

The exact measurement of the height of the back molding is eyeballed to create the curve/smooth eye-line.

Tape everything and adjust.

The back of the molding has a removeable tape. I cut off a small piece on the "lower" corner of the flat ends and "test fit" it.

It was agonizing. but it looks great now and it's perfect for avoiding dings
I have a 2 foot by 3 foot building square and eyeballed some "fattest spots" of the car with some crayon marks and this math fits perfectly.

Call or check back if it's not clear.

Not sure if hybrid or v6 tires height are all exactly the same.
Phil

#5 · (Edited)
Used the dealers supplied instructions. No problems. Also installed a set on a 2015 Rav 4. No matter who's instructions you use, just take your time. Measure twice, apply one. Buy the way, if you do put one on wrong it is a b#*€* to take off and re-apply! Don't ask!! :surprise::surprise:LOL. But it worked out and looks good. (Sorry for the upside down attachments).

Attachments

#9 ·
I wish I had those instructions. Seem to be good.
I stand by my trial and no error system
Use the remocveable tape and eyeball it.
Test the doors opening all of the way after you set it up.

Show pics after you are done!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.