Limited Tech Package - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4th Generation (2013+) Specific discussion of the fourth generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Limited Tech Package

Ordered a Limited two weeks ago w/out tech package. Have radar controlled cruse control on my 06 Limited and thought I could do without on new Limited, but decided today to call my sales agent and see if he can amend my order to include tech package. I cannot say that I depend on the safety of not rear ending someone, but it is a nice safety feature. The additional rear end backing feature is also nice to have. I'm not sure I'll use the wireless charging feature for my iPhone 5, but maybe some day.

What say you all? For those who selected the LTD model did you include the tech package?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I got the tech package with the limited hybrid I ordered 2.5 weeks ago. My thinking was that loaded should be loaded. But more importantly, being mid-sixties, my driving abilities can't be on the up arc. So I and the people I share the road with need every advantage. Adaptive cruise is good because I use cruise constantly for gas mileage, to relieve pressure on the arthritic knee on my driving leg, and because the my burg uses speeding tickets as a revenue stream. Pre collision prep is good just in case. Auto high beams are good because I need to see as well as possible. Sure, I could continue to live without any of that, but why, when I can afford to spend approx 4% more on the vehicle. YMMV.
#3 Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Just talked to sales rep. He had earlier said my cost on tech package would be $1000. He was mistaken. My cost would be the $1700 MSRP. Decided could do without.

Will travel with greater vigilance than if I had the front end collision suppression. Being a techy I REALLY wanted the tech package, but couldn't see the extra $1700. Not sure why Toyota did not include as OEM on the Limited 2103, as was OEM on my current 06 LTD.

Last edited by epoche; 01-03-2013 at 09:03 AM.
#4 Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoche View Post
Ordered a Limited two weeks ago w/out tech package. Have radar controlled cruse control on my 06 Limited and thought I could do without on new Limited, but decided today to call my sales agent and see if he can amend my order to include tech package. I cannot say that I depend on the safety of not rear ending someone, but it is a nice safety feature. The additional rear end backing feature is also nice to have. I'm not sure I'll use the wireless charging feature for my iPhone 5, but maybe some day.

What say you all? For those who selected the LTD model did you include the tech package?
I didn't want the Teck PKG but decided to get the LTD Hybrid that was already here. I didn't want to wait two months to order one without.

Not sure your iDevice has the Qi capability. You may want to double check that.

And my wife has used the pre-collision twice now, no accidents. She was coming up too fast on a slower vehicle and the seat belts tightened, the car started to brake for her too. hehe
#5 Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoche View Post

I was not aware that the wireless charging was part of the tech package. Also what is the rear end backing feature that you referred to? Is that the thing that peeks for cross traffic when you are backing up? I also thought that was a feature of the Limited, but did not know it was part of the tech package.
The Following User Says Thank You to WalterParker For This Useful Post:
David lee (03-03-2013)
#6 Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm on the fence about the tech package, because I'm concerned that the Pre-Collision System is a double-edged sword -- it could prevent some accidents, but cause others. The manual contains a list of "Conditions that may trigger the system even if there is no possibility of a collision". This isn't just legal verbiage, as shown by the following forum post (involving a 2010 Prius with PCS). His car unexpectedly braked hard, but fortunately wasn't rear-ended.

http://priuschat.com/threads/pre-col...ivation.69375/

From what I've read, the upcoming wireless charging feature is indeed part of the tech package.

Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert is standard on Touring and Limited.
#7 Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Official TN Member

So IS the wireless part of the Tech package or not?

Because I got the tech package and DO NOT have any wireless unit with it???

Skip
#8 Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It is part of the tech package according to

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ging+dec19.htm

Doesn't say when it's going into production. It's built into the ebin lid, so maybe your car could be retrofitted.
#9 Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x475aws View Post

Doesn't say when it's going into production. It's built into the ebin lid, so maybe your car could be retrofitted.

Correct, it's built into the ebin lid. Not many phones are "Qi" capable yet. My next one will be.
#10 Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x475aws View Post

Any of the video's I've watched, say it will be part of the Tech Package with the New 2013 Avalons. It doesn't say anything about mid-year or anything like that. Most video's are 9 to 12 months old, and lead you to believe just what they say, which is it's part of the Tech Package in the New 2013 Avalons?

Skip
#11 Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Any of the video's I've watched, say it will be part of the Tech Package with the New 2013 Avalons. It doesn't say anything about mid-year or anything like that. Most video's are 9 to 12 months old, and lead you to believe just what they say, which is it's part of the Tech Package in the New 2013 Avalons?

Skip
I received a follow up phone call from a company for research on my purchase. I asked them specifically about the Qi and they told me its already built in with the Tech Pkg.
#12 Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1-superstar View Post
Not sure your iDevice has the Qi capability. You may want to double check that.
The iPhones are not compatible with the Qi charging base-- at least not outright: "To use the Qi charging, drivers will need only to set a Qi-compatible phone (such as the Google Nexus 4 or Nokia Lumia 920) on that pad. Incompatible phones, such as the Apple iPhone, can be made compatible with the addition of a charging sleeve, which the owners will have to furnish themselves."

To read more from this CNET Review: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...without-wires/
#13 Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Official TN Member

Limited Tech Package

Energizer sells a Qi sleeve for the iPhone 4/4s that's not very expensive. I haven't seen anything for the iPhone 5 yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#14 Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Official TN Member

Garage
Update...
I got two emails back from Toyota. There is a delay in releasing the Qi charging system. Avalons with Tech PKGs are still being shipped without it. As for the owners that already took delivery of a 2013 Avalon with the Tech PKG, we are SOL....
#15 Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1-superstar View Post
Update... As for the owners that already took delivery of a 2013 Avalon with the Tech PKG, we are SOL....
I am devastated.

2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with Tech Pkg. Magnetic Grey on Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 4th Generation (2013+)