Unhappy buyers starting to show up:( - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4th Generation (2013+) Specific discussion of the fourth generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy buyers starting to show up:(

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f23b80c/306

Skip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Skip, I'm loathe to reply. We know how you obsessed over the switch back to the Gen 3 Avalon. Are you going to make your new mission trash talking the 2013?

People have different opinions about the same car. But I'm thinking we've been talking about three different cars:

1. The Gen 3 Avalon
2. The Gen 4 XLE V6 and the Hybrid, with 17" wheels
3. The Gen 4 V6 Touring and Limited, with 18" wheels

You had car number 3 and didn't like the ride. So sorry. I've never driven car number 3, since I was focused on the Hybrid as my excuse for trading in a perfectly satisfactory 2007 Avalon Touring. Now I have an even more satisfactory 2013.

From what some of those people were saying on the Edmunds forum, I'm thinking they should have taken a longer test drive. And what's with some of those drivers? There are plenty of potholes in these parts, but I make I my duty to steer around them. Saves more than the ride comfort.

You know what, maybe Toyota should have made the 18" wheels an option on the 2013 Touring and Limited and made sure the dealers explained the difference to customers. I know I've always felt no normally sized passenger car needs rims larger than 17". Unless the driver is into making a statement with rims and boy racer tires.

So maybe some editions of the 2013 Avalon are not buicks anymore....
The Following User Says Thank You to Nilnoc For This Useful Post:
84Cressida (01-30-2013)
#3 Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilnoc View Post
Skip, I'm loathe to reply. We know how you obsessed over the switch back to the Gen 3 Avalon. Are you going to make your new mission trash talking the 2013?

Sorry I and other are letting our feelings be known.

Signing off and baring anything I feel is worth saying, I'll now express my feelings or concerns again.

Skip
#4 Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilnoc View Post

People have different opinions about the same car. But I'm thinking we've been talking about three different cars:

1. The Gen 3 Avalon
2. The Gen 4 XLE V6 and the Hybrid, with 17" wheels
3. The Gen 4 V6 Touring and Limited, with 18" wheels

You had car number 3 and didn't like the ride. So sorry. I've never driven car number 3, since I was focused on the Hybrid as my excuse for trading in a perfectly satisfactory 2007 Avalon Touring. Now I have an even more satisfactory 2013.

From what some of those people were saying on the Edmunds forum, I'm thinking they should have taken a longer test drive. And what's with some of those drivers? There are plenty of potholes in these parts, but I make I my duty to steer around them. Saves more than the ride comfort.

You know what, maybe Toyota should have made the 18" wheels an option on the 2013 Touring and Limited and made sure the dealers explained the difference to customers. I know I've always felt no normally sized passenger car needs rims larger than 17". Unless the driver is into making a statement with rims and boy racer tires.

Skip,

I was happy for you on your purchase of the '13, then I felt for you because of your gripes, then I understood your feelings of unhappiness, but now you need to just stop. Nit picking on a Gorgeous redesign, then airing your dislikes, is one thing, but having buyer's remorse is another.

But then again, this is a "public forum" and I guess you are offered to do such a thing with a login and password.

Perhaps you should have waited to drive BOTH like others have before making your purchase. That's what I did. I was set on the Hybrid because of the MPG, but had to test drive the Petrol to be sure of my decision. I'm VERY HAPPY with my Hybrid Limited!

But seriously sir, I think you have said enough.

Cheers!
db
#5 Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The way I see it, Skip is pointing us to another forum containing experiences of 2013 Avalon owners. As a prospective purchaser, I'm interested in all such, positive and negative. Though, the common thread running through these complaints is that they're from longtime Avalon owners who liked the older, cushier design. I'm coming from the opposite direction (my daily driver for the last 8 years is a 2005 Scion xB, which I bought because I have a thing for simple, boxy cars, not because it's all I could afford), so I suspect I'll feel differently about the ride
#6 Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x475aws View Post
The way I see it, Skip is pointing us to another forum containing experiences of 2013 Avalon owners. As a prospective purchaser, I'm interested in all such, positive and negative. Though, the common thread running through these complaints is that they're from longtime Avalon owners who liked the older, cushier design. I'm coming from the opposite direction (my daily driver for the last 8 years is a 2005 Scion xB, which I bought because I have a thing for simple, boxy cars, not because it's all I could afford), so I suspect I'll feel differently about the ride
Yeah, perhaps you might like the ride of the '13 Avalon.
#7 Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Okay, I read through many of those posts from the website Skip posted the link to. If I had to guess, by the language used, I'd say most of those peeps are old. Like late fifties old. lol Anything other than a wet sponge gliding across an icy road will make them feel like they are riding a "lumber wagon."
#8 Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Sorry I and other are letting our feelings be known.

Signing off and baring anything I feel is worth saying, I'll now express my feelings or concerns again.

Skip

Like this?

"I agree with the person who said to let Toyota know, and so, I will post it in a s many places as I can that I wasn't happy with the ride of their "Premium Luxury Sedan" (their words, not mine).

Skip"
#9 Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1-superstar View Post
Like this?

"I agree with the person who said to let Toyota know, and so, I will post it in a s many places as I can that I wasn't happy with the ride of their "Premium Luxury Sedan" (their words, not mine).

Skip"
OK so I've read Skip's oddosey in the above mention web link. Did I say all 34 pages of it to get a sense of Skip's story. Seems a little over the top for me. Not sure why one would spend some much energy disliking the 2013 Avalon so much-and those who just find the new front design so fuggly. As far as Geezers Re concerned I'll turn 74 ne t month and when I saw the new design I decided to trade in my 2006 Avalon Limited for the new 2013 design. My 44 old son who recently bought a Scion FR-S also liked the front end design. Guess with the non-random nature of forums you get a disportunate number of dissatisfied compared to those who, like me, find the new design stunning. I looked at the 2012 Avalon and cannot see staying with the same look as my 06 Limited. if ride were the only consideration I'd buy a Garmin or Tom Tom and keep my 06 for another 10 years.

I did find the 2013 a little smaller inside than my 06 and the ride a little sportier, but neither was a deal breaker. I'm waiting for my 2013 gas Limited to arrive at dealer next month-Champagne Mica.

Change is something difficult to adjust to, but I'm looking forward to Different, not the Same. The 2013 is sure different.

Last edited by epoche; 01-28-2013 at 12:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epoche For This Useful Post:
eyeball96 (01-29-2013), r1-superstar (01-28-2013)
#10 Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Official TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoche View Post
OK so I've read Skip's oddosey in the above mention web link. Did I say all 34 pages of it to get a sense of Skip's story. Seems a little over the top for me. Not sure why one would spend some much energy disliking the 2013 Avalon so much. And those who just find the new front design so fuggly. As far as Geezers Re concerned I'll turn 74 ne t month and when I saw the new design I decided to trade in my 2006 Avalon Limited for the new 2013 design. My 44 old son who recently bought a Scion FR-S also liked the front end design. Guess with the non-random nature of forums you get a disportunate number of dissatisfied compared to those who, like me, find the new design stunning. I looked at the 2012 Avalon and cannot see staying with the same look as my 06. if ride were the only consideration I'd buy a Garmin or Tom Tom and keep my 06 for another 10 years.

I did find the 2013 a little smaller inside than my 06 and the ride a little sportier, but neither was a deal breaker. I'm waiting for my 2013 gas Limited to arrive at dealer next month-Champagne Mica.

Change is something difficult to adjust to, but I'm looking forward to Different, not the Same. The 2013 is sure different.

The Following User Says Thank You to r1-superstar For This Useful Post:
epoche (01-28-2013)
#11 Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Official TN Member

Unhappy buyers starting to show up:(

I guess I didn't realize that the 2012 Avalon was the last bastion of the boulevard cruiser!

Good thing that Skip got his leftover 2012 when he did; it very well could be the last of its kind. Cadillac, Buick, Lincoln,Mercedes, Lexus, and others have moved on. The Grand Marquis, Crown Vic and Town Car are gone. Why? There's no business case for any of them to build such cars any more, even in small numbers.

Enjoy your 2012!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#12 Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Toyota expected to turn off a bunch of people with this car. The bottom line is, they'd rather sell 70,000 of them to a younger crowd than 20,000 of them to the 55+ community. Yes, of course those older folks are going to be the first ones to buy the new Avalon, they clearly didn't get the hint that it's not the same car anymore.
#13 Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN_C View Post
Toyota expected to turn off a bunch of people with this car. The bottom line is, they'd rather sell 70,000 of them to a younger crowd than 20,000 of them to the 55+ community. Yes, of course those older folks are going to be the first ones to buy the new Avalon, they clearly didn't get the hint that it's not the same car anymore.
Not clear what you are saying. Will sell to younger crowd AND to the older crowd! I'm a Geezer, soon to be 74, and I Know what I'm getting into with new Avalon- I look forward to change not backwards to my two previous Avalons 2000 XLS and 2006 Limited. Why do you assume 55+ crowd are not well informed?
#14 Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN_C View Post
Yes! Because we geezers are low information buyers! All we need to know is that it says 'Avalon' on the back. And then we know we're getting the Japanese Buick. Test drive unnecessary. Just show us where to sign. After all, we geezers have been buying cars for the last 40+ years, and over that time, hardly anything has changed. 'Cept now they make us wear seatbelts and pump our own gas. [\snark]

Seriously, when you're going to spent this kind of cash for a car, you need to do your research or bear the consequences. Whatever your age is.

Is a Buick even a buick anymore?

Time to let this thread die.....
#15 Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1-superstar View Post
Okay, I read through many of those posts from the website Skip posted the link to. If I had to guess, by the language used, I'd say most of those peeps are old. Like late fifties old. lol Anything other than a wet sponge gliding across an icy road will make them feel like they are riding a "lumber wagon."
This is my first post, as a new member. I'm amused by "late fifties old." I am 77 and the very happy owner of a 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited V6 with Tech Package, in Champagne Mica/Almond. I have the 18" wheels and low profile tires, of course. I come to the Avalon from a Lexus ES300 which I drove and loved for 15 years.

I am completely happy with my new Avalon. I find it gorgeous inside and out. It is a driver's car: fast, quick (Car & Driver got 0-60 in 6.0 seconds!) and responsive with a taut, controlled ride and really excellent handling for a car of its size and luxury. It has every conceivable electronic bell and whistle and safety feature. I purchased it through the USAA Buyers Program for $2,600 below the sticker price. I considered the Hybrid but chose performance and the smoother drive-train over economy. On my first 100 mile freeway trip I got an honest 33 MPG, and it looks like I will be getting 27 MPG overall. Not bad, and certainly better than my Lexus's 23 MPG overall.

Robert N.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robnich For This Useful Post:
epoche (01-28-2013), r1-superstar (01-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 4th Generation (2013+)