Vented seats! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4th Generation (2013+) Specific discussion of the fourth generation Toyota Avalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Vented seats!

I am stoked to try the vented seats when I bug out from work today...it's finally hot enough around here to justify it

So...does it actually pump the AC thru the seats?

The heater function has been phenominal all winter, hoping for similar results on the vented end...

2013 Toyota Avalon, Limited, Classic Silver Metallic, Black Interior, w/ Technology Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Wow! Well, I like the cooled seats very much. Suffice to say, it keeps certain areas extremely comfortable.

2013 Toyota Avalon, Limited, Classic Silver Metallic, Black Interior, w/ Technology Package
#3 Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Toyota Believer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Pilot View Post
Wow! Well, I like the cooled seats very much. Suffice to say, it keeps certain areas extremely comfortable.
I have them in my Platinum Tundra Crewmax and they are great especially since it's over 100 most of the summer here. I also am getting them on my Limited Hybrid that I pick up on Thursday. Cant wait.
#4 Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Pilot View Post
I am stoked to try the vented seats when I bug out from work today...it's finally hot enough around here to justify it

So...does it actually pump the AC thru the seats?

The heater function has been phenominal all winter, hoping for similar results on the vented end...
Does not "pump" AC from AC System, or Heat from Heating System.
I'm not an electronics guy, so I don't know exactly what the device is called, but it is something like Piazo, which adds heat or removes heat (cools). An electronic guy would know what it is called.

Nothing to do with the car AC or Heating system.

Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

Mt. Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Nice Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

2013 Avalon Limited
2011 MKZ
#5 Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrcbob View Post
Does not "pump" AC from AC System, or Heat from Heating System.
I'm not an electronics guy, so I don't know exactly what the device is called, but it is something like Piazo, which adds heat or removes heat (cools). An electronic guy would know what it is called.

Nothing to do with the car AC or Heating system.
Ctrcbob,
You are correct! This device is called a thermoelectric (Peltier) cooling module. It can be used for heating as well as cooling. It is not very efficient, only about 15%. I used them to debug computer boards that had temperature sensitive electrical problems.
Ernie
#6 Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
May not be efficient, but sure as hell works nicely in the car.

Thanks for the explanation...

There is a noise when using the cooling function that is not present when using the heat, what's going on with that?

Doing some reading, seems this is a slightly different setup than the seat in the ES...better I guess.

#7 Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Senior TN Member

Question please:

Since I never even tried one of those Cooling Seats I was wondering if you use them the whole time you are driving somewhere?

Like a longer road trip/commute.

Or just to take the heat off the seats and let the climate control do it's job.

For example I have a Heated Seat in our 07 Camry and I use that only to take the chill off the leather.
I do not have a Variable Control either which is annoying.
It gets way too HOT and I will end up sweating.
Just an On/Off Button.
(My Old Buick has at least has a Hi/Lo Switch so I can back it off and use it longer plus it heats my back in the Lumbar Area and not just the 'seat')

I am asking about the Cooling Seats on normal summer days and not Death Valley Heat.

Thanks!

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein
2000 Buick Park Avenue
2007 XLE Camry
2012 Base Tacoma 4X4.
#8 Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Toyota Believer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dood View Post
Question please:

Since I never even tried one of those Cooling Seats I was wondering if you use them the whole time you are driving somewhere?

Like a longer road trip/commute.

Or just to take the heat off the seats and let the climate control do it's job.

For example I have a Heated Seat in our 07 Camry and I use that only to take the chill off the leather.
I do not have a Variable Control either which is annoying.
It gets way too HOT and I will end up sweating.
Just an On/Off Button.
(My Old Buick has at least has a Hi/Lo Switch so I can back it off and use it longer plus it heats my back in the Lumbar Area and not just the 'seat')

I am asking about the Cooling Seats on normal summer days and not Death Valley Heat.

Thanks!
You use the cooling seats only as long as they feel too hot. In the summer I leave them on all the time to help keep the interior cool along with the air conditioner. You can put your hand on the seating area and feel the cool air movement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nor Cal Avalon For This Useful Post:
Old Dood (04-10-2013)
#9 Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Official TN Member

I posted this in another thread, that they are NOT Cooled Seats, but Ventilated Seats. Ventilated does not mean cooled. I guess all it does is pump ambiant air through the seat.

Because it also says heat, I guess that when set, heated seat really is heated, however here in Mt. Dora, or in Roswell, I'd rather have cooled seats.

Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2013 Avalon Limited
2011 MKZ
#10 Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Toyota Believer

Garage
Quote:
I posted this in another thread, that they are NOT Cooled Seats, but Ventilated Seats. Ventilated does not mean cooled. I guess all it does is pump ambiant air through the seat.

Because it also says heat, I guess that when set, heated seat really is heated, however here in Mt. Dora, or in Roswell, I'd rather have cooled seats.
Cooled seats or ventilated seats, whats the difference....
#11 Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Something is running in the seat when it is in the vented position that is not running when it is in the heated position. I can hear it. I'm guessing it is a fan of some kind forcing air thru the seats. It has cooled off around here, so I hope to get some more practical experience with them as soon as we warm up again.

#12 Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Avalon View Post
Cooled seats or ventilated seats, whats the difference....
Cooled seats are when heat is removed. Ventilated is when ambiant air goes through the seat. Kind of like the difference between driving with your a/c on (cooled) or driving with your windows open (ventilation).

Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2013 Avalon Limited
2011 MKZ
#13 Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Toyota Believer

Garage
Quote:
Cooled seats are when heat is removed. Ventilated is when ambiant air goes through the seat. Kind of like the difference between driving with your a/c on (cooled) or driving with your windows open (ventilation).
So let me see if I understand this. If the seat is hot and they are ventilated then there not cooled but just ventilated. Do they get cool to the touch when there ventilated or what.......

Like I said before, cooled or ventilated, whats the difference. The seat cools down to the touch when you turn the seat ventilator on.
#14 Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm don't think this is a valid analogy. The ambient air pulled through the ventilated seats is conditioned air, cooled and dehumidified by the car's air conditioning, unlike outside air coming through an open window. And if the seats cooled your butt below the ambient temperature, couldn't you end up with a damp butt?

I'm in the same area as the OP of this thread, am looking forward to trying my ventilated seats when the hot weather starts around here.
#15 Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Toyota Believer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x475aws View Post
I'm don't think this is a valid analogy. The ambient air pulled through the ventilated seats is conditioned air, cooled and dehumidified by the car's air conditioning, unlike outside air coming through an open window. And if the seats cooled your butt below the ambient temperature, couldn't you end up with a damp butt?

I'm in the same area as the OP of this thread, am looking forward to trying my ventilated seats when the hot weather starts around here.
Just for clarification, the ventilation is pushed up thru the seat not pulled down thru the seat. To test this, take a kleenex and put it on the seat and then turn the ventilated seat on high (full clockwise on passenger seat and full counterclockwise on the drivers seat). The kleenex will rise and start to move. This does the same on my Tundra truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 4th Generation (2013+)