Avalon Problems - Page 5 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4th Generation (2013+) Specific discussion of the fourth generation Toyota Avalon

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#61 Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by --ONI-- View Post
First off, congrats of the car! Hope you like it. It seems you've done a lot of preliminary research, which always good. I'm assuming the new ride quality is to your liking considering you're coming from the 06-- some love it some hate it. Sorry i cannot speak to the bubbling steering wheel nor the Entune version. Which trim level are u getting, bc the Entune will be different based on if you get the HDD-Nav or DA-Nav. Regardless though, I am curious to know which version of Entune they installed. If it's not too troubling, maybe you can start a new thread and post the version number and maybe some pics of the main menu items (for compare and contrast purposes)?

Thx. We are fine with the ride quality. Not as cushy as the 06 but a better road feel. And compared to our other 3 cars, it's like a carpet ride. I personally wanted a little more get up and go but the wife wanted to do her part for the environment, thus the hybrid. We ordered the Limited but sorry, I don't know an HDD from a DA (Duck's A--?). Once we take delivery, I will be happy to start another thread on the Entune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014LtdHybrid View Post
Thx. We are fine with the ride quality. Not as cushy as the 06 but a better road feel. And compared to our other 3 cars, it's like a carpet ride. I personally wanted a little more get up and go but the wife wanted to do her part for the environment, thus the hybrid. We ordered the Limited but sorry, I don't know an HDD from a DA (Duck's A--?). Once we take delivery, I will be happy to start another thread on the Entune.
Lol. Sorry for being vague earlier-- DA (Display Audio) Nav is for trim levels Touring or below, HDD (High Definition Display) Nav is for the Limited-- it uses different Entune software (ie different format, menu layouts, and even differences in some of the connectivity) and hardware (ie screen and CD loading).. There's a long-winded thread about some of these items.

2013 Avalon Limited w/o Tech Pkg. Magnetic Grey on Black.
#63 Old 06-16-2014, 06:18 PM
New TN User

I just purchased a 2014 Avalon Limited and was really upset with the reflection off the interior chrome pieces under the instrument cluster and over the radio. At noon, it is completely blinding, even when wearing polarized sunglasses. It mostly happens when the sun is in a certain portion of the sky, which here is around noon right now. If you sit in the car and look at the chrome and can see blue sky, you're going to get the blinding reflection if the sun ever shows up in that part of the sky.

I made a bunch of calls and eventually was told that auto wrap places can do a good job transforming interior parts. They can use the same wrap materials that that use to wrap cars with advertising on the outside to modify the look of trim pieces on the inside. Most of their interior work is from guys who want to change their wood trim to carbon fiber.

I found a local wrap place near me and sent them a picture of the interior. They've said that for about $100.00, they can cover the chrome pieces that cause the reflections with any color that I want, and he's sure that they can find something that matches the existing trim. I'me going to take it by in a week or two and have it done.

I've also had a friend of mine (who happens to work at a Toyota dealer) open a product report with Toyota. That part of the dashboard is a single piece that sells retail for about $400.00. If Toyota wants to, it'd be easy to modify the part and have dealers replace it.

Last edited by adv99; 06-16-2014 at 11:01 PM.
#64 Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 PM
New TN User

BTW- I do agree that Toyota has made a huge mistake changing the ride. If they really wanted to attract younger buyers, it probably would have been smarter to make a sport model and a luxury model, as they did with the Camry (and with the Lexus LS). Then consumers could vote with their wallets.

My guess is that Toyota wants to push the older buyers over to the ES350. Before Toyota re-did the Avalon, the ES350 was based upon the Camry and was not as a good as the Avalon (IMHO). But, when they re-did the Avalon, they re-did the ES350, and it is now based upon the same platform as the Avalon (111 inch wheelbase), and has the cushy ride that older Avalon drivers are accustomed to.

My guess is that in 1-2 years, we'll see a redesign that will remove the interior chrome and change the suspension back to the floaty suspension that Avalon drivers are more accustomed to. Otherwise, the Camry will take over the 111 wheelbase platform and the Avalon will be discontinued due to "poor sales"...

Last edited by adv99; 06-16-2014 at 11:02 PM.
#65 Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Official TN Member

13000 miles perfect no problems

2013 TAH limited with tech package
Love the Radar front and rear
#66 Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 PM
New TN User

Do you ever drive at noon? That's when the reflection off the chrome seems to be the most trouble.

What is your interior color? I have a theory that you'll notice the reflection off of the chrome more if you have a black interior, as your eyes dilate and allow more light in the compensate for the dark surroundings. Someone in a tan interior vehicle might not be bothered by the reflections. And if you never drive between 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. (or are in an area of the country where the sun never gets directly overhead) it'll never be an issue for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiinc View Post
13000 miles perfect no problems

2013 TAH limited with tech package
Love the Radar front and rear
#67 Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv99 View Post
Do you ever drive at noon? That's when the reflection off the chrome seems to be the most trouble.

What is your interior color? I have a theory that you'll notice the reflection off of the chrome more if you have a black interior, as your eyes dilate and allow more light in the compensate for the dark surroundings. Someone in a tan interior vehicle might not be bothered by the reflections. And if you never drive between 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. (or are in an area of the country where the sun never gets directly overhead) it'll never be an issue for you...
Been driving mid day in the bright Kansas sun. Black interior. No reflection issues for me. I wear polarized sunglasses and I keep the sunroof closed.

At 23,000 miles, there have been no problems with the car.

I too love the adaptive cruise control. Use it a lot on and off the highway. And the rear cross traffic alert has saved me a few times.

2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with Tech Pkg. Magnetic Grey on Black.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nilnoc For This Useful Post:
rjohanson (06-18-2014)
#68 Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv99 View Post

I have a '13 TAH Touring with the light interior. I have seen the reflection of which you speak at times when travelling on US 40 midday. It is, to me, mildly annoying; however, never lasts very long. I only seem to get the reflection off of the very bottom of the chrome trim that runs under the instrument cluster and it does temporarily cause a distraction; however, nothing, IMHO, that is dangerous, like when you have to drive directly into a near-setting sun. I wear wrap-around polarized sunglasses (ray bans) and do a lot of highway driving midday.

We have a friend who owns a body shop in Phoenix that specializes in luxury cars. Many owners of those vehicles make minor adjustments to their interiors (like the suggestion to 'wrap' the chrome) for similar issues. It is certainly a case-by-case and individual driver issue that could easily be rectified for little money.

Overall, having owned the previous gen Avalon, which we loved, this car is vastly improved over that vehicle and we would definitely buy one again.
#69 Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I've had my 2013 Avalon for a year and a half and 14,500 miles, in San Diego, one of the sunnier spots in the USA, and have not ever been bothered by light reflected from the chrome dash trim. Almond interior, and I keep the sunroof slide open. I always wear polarized sunglasses for daytime driving. Add my name to the list of those who have had no problems of any kind (yet) with their Avalon.

Robert N.
#70 Old 06-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I was hesitant to buy the Avalon because of the chrome dashboard trim. My son said he could wrap the chrome if it caused a problem. After 14 months and 18K miles, I can count on one hand the times I've had any discomfort from glare off the trim. I wear sunglasses all day, every day, since there's a whole lot more glare outside.

2013 Avalon Hybrid Limited with tech pkg
Moulin Rouge/Black
#71 Old 06-18-2014, 11:25 AM
New TN User

I also suspect that the reflection issues may be a geographic issue. Most of the reports come from the southern U.S., i.e. Florida, Texas, and Southern California.

The sun has to be in just the right spot, very high on the sky, and it comes in through the front windshield (not the sunroof). I've only noticed it around noon, so if you don't drive at that time, you'll likely never see it. It doesn't last long (only about an hour right now), but it comes on suddenly and can be blinding. Even if you haven't experienced it, you might, and if you do, it could temporarily blind you and cause an accident. While I was driving the other day, I was getting reflections from four spots (two under the instrument cluster and two above and outside).

I always wear polarized sunglasses when I'm driving during the daytime, and they definitely don't help with the reflections I'm talking about here.

There's also a professional reviewer who noticed the problem before the car was released...

"Although the chrome used is “smoked” to lessen brightness, matte aluminum would have improved the overall ambiance immensely. At one point, I was actually blinded by dazzling reflections off the bezel of the instrument cluster." (http://reviews.carreview.com/2013-to...limited-review)

Last edited by adv99; 06-18-2014 at 11:29 AM.
#72 Old 06-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Official TN Member

seems like this is a bit overblown to me?
arh likes this.

2002 Avalon XLS
2004 Nissan Titan SE
2011 Hyundai Sonata SE
#73 Old 06-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
seems like this is a bit overblown to me?
I agree. Moving the seat a little bit will help. I checked this on my test drive, after reading the reviewer's comments, and decided it would be a problem that would not happen often. Brushed aluminum/SS would have been a better choice. Meguiar's interior Quik Detailer is reported to give a matte finish. Haven't tried it.

'13 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring, Sizzling Crimson Mica, Sandstone interior. Former '12 TCH owner.

Last edited by TAH Owner; 06-21-2014 at 06:29 PM.
#74 Old 06-21-2014, 07:20 PM
New TN User

I tried moving the seat and even moving my head around quite a bit, with no change.

How will a cleaner change a reflective surface to a matte finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAH Owner View Post
I agree. Moving the seat a little bit will help. I checked this on my test drive, after reading the reviewer's comments, and decided it would be a problem that would not happen often. Brushed aluminum/SS would have been a better choice. Meguiar's interior Quik Detailer is reported to give a matte finish. Haven't tried it.
#75 Old 06-21-2014, 07:30 PM
PJSMITH

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
1600 grit sand paper.sorry had to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > 4th Generation (2013+)