Toyota Nation Forum banner

Scraped my baby on piller

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  LS14ME2 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

A few days ago, I was pulling out of my parking spot and I scraped a piller...:facepalm:

I went to my dealership and they quoted me $1100 to fix it up. I feel like they're just gouging me.

Does anyone have an idea on how much it should realistically cost to fix up?

Appreciate any input.

See less See more
#3 ·
Most recent body shop experience was damage to higher up on the unibody with compound curves. Gas cap to the rear bumper wrap. plus a new rim and tail light assy. dr side rear qtr window. stone guards
$4000

Showroom can't see the damage now.

#7 · (Edited)
It looks very minor to me ... I once backed into a 3-foot post and caused quite some damage to the rear quarter. Here in southern CA, a local body shop charged me $500 (always the deductible amount ... the magic number, since I said to pay out of pocket). My wife backed the brand-new Murano into a wall somehow (she got backup camera !!) .. broken lamp-housing + cracked bumper (replaced) + dented rear quarter = $1000 (again, that was my deductible and I'm paying out of pocket. A shop -recommended by the insurance was asking $3200). After 7 yrs, I can't even tell anything has happened in the area.
Yours shouldn't cost more than a couple hundreds ... easy paint job.
Why goto a dealer. For many jobs, I bet, the dealer would contract out to others anyway.

#9 ·
You have a nice car. Just get 2 more estimates from reputible garages and get it repaired. Mishaps like that happen to all of us and it is aggravating. The sooner you get it repaired the better and then you will get over it.

#10 ·
I scraped my baby (2013 TAH Limited, crimson) several months ago with about the same scrape damage you seem to have. The dealer recommended their usual body shop, The body shop gave me an estimate of $1,500. When I asked how it got that high when just a small section of the back door and the back panel had been scraped, they said that they would have to take all the side mouldings and other stuff off -front to back - in order to do a blended paint job front to back, and then would have to replace the mouldings and stuff. They said they couldn't just repair and repaint the scraped sections since the paint job wouldn't match up with the paint on the rest of the car's side. Since in my view the scrape was very minor and not worth that kind of expense, I got some highly recommended car scratch remover/cleaner and went to work with it. It didn't do away completely with the scratches, but they are only noticeable now if you look closely for them. I can live with the minor scratches.

#13 ·
Not sure how much damage you have to your wheel rim, but a curb jumped out at me and scraped my rim a couple weeks after I bought the car. I went to a local rim / tire shop and they quoted me $140 to grind, blend and repaint. I then went to my dealer and they matched the price. The repair was flawless - can't tell where it was damaged. Now if it was chrome it may have needed a lot more work and $$$.

BTW - that was more than 2 years ago, and the repaired wheel still looks as new.

#14 ·
$1100 doesn't sound bad. Then again, it depends on what they're doing to fix it. I would say to fix it right, it will require a bit a body work, and possibly painting the whole side of the car. Depending on the color, this may be required. Did you ask what they're going to do?

#15 ·
Agreed, you can't just touch that up, light colored metallic paints are hard to lay down correctly. It will have to be blended by a good paint shop. The bodywork is the easy part with your repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.