Toyota Nation Forum banner

HOOD OPEN Warning in Toyota Camry XLE

116K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Javed_khan 
#1 ·
Hi, I am getting "Hood Open" warning even though it was closed. I tried open and close it for several time but it is still showing the same warning. Can any one please suggest me steps to look into this issue. Where to look for the sensor and what steps needs to be taken for taking care of this issue.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

#7 ·
The sensor is part of the hood latch.

The wiring comes almost straight up to and below the latch.

The strippers are not equipped with the hood theft prevention sensor.

#8 ·
What do you mean "The stippers"?
I have the same problem with my 2011 Camry and it is driving me nuts!!! It is making my car alarm go off whenever it wants like in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping.

#10 ·
I think I have this solved. My only problem is that I don't know in what year they put this failsafe in place.

I have the hood latch warning issue. The sensor is probably bad. However it goes away. Every time I disconnect my battery, it comes back. I do a lot of driving, and when I drive for an hour straight, The light finally decides to shut off. This has happened on at least four occasions. So, I'm thinking that there is a mechanism in place that if your morning is going off while driving for a long time, then it just shuts that warning down. I am also thinking that Toyota must have recognized this issue somewhere along the way, and put the failsafe in place. After all, it would only take a moment of extra programming, and no other parts.

I also have had the alarm issue going off whenever it wants to. And I agree it is related to the light. So, my final comment, then is to make sure that you Drive your car straight for an hour without turning off the engine, and let the car decide that the sensor must be faulty.

#16 ·
I also have had the alarm issue going off whenever it wants to. And I agree it is related to the light. So, my final comment, then is to make sure that you Drive your car straight for an hour without turning off the engine, and let the car decide that the sensor must be faulty.
I did this. My HOOD OPEN warning still goes on and off for no reason. However, the theft alarm still activates even when there is no HOOD OPEN warning. The only way that fix the alarm issue is to shortcut/bypass the hood sensor, as @sunquark mention.

#12 ·
Ha ha, I'm not saying it's pretty but it seems to be what's going on. Instead of recalling a bunch of cars. Just make an extra few lines of program that says "if car driving more than 30 min at 60mph, then sensor bad, turn off sensor".

Something like that. Regardless, any time that has happened to me, I can fix it like clockwork by doing a long drive that I routinely make anyway. In fact, before making my previous post, I purposely disconnected my battery, got the hood warning, made my normal drive from Milwaukee to Green Bay, and within an hour the light had shut off.

It's the only conclusion I have that makes sense at this point.

#13 · (Edited)
#14 · (Edited)
Bypass hood latch to permanently disable HOOD OPEN warning in 2007 Camry XLE I4

Hello,

This is the easiest and cheapest (free) way to permanently disable the false HOOD OPEN warning in a 2007 Camry XLE I4. It might also work for other Toyota models and model years if the hood-latch-with-sensor assembly is the same.

I had been getting the HOOD OPEN warning constantly while driving and the car alarm also went off randomly during the day and night when the car was parked and locked because the hood latch sensor was malfunctioning. To address this I did the following:

1. I unplugged the hood latch sensor connector from the hood alarm socket.

This socket is located right below the hood latch and you can see the connector/plug from the hood latch going in to the socket. The setup is such that the socket is on the left and the connector/plug is inserted from the right, when you are facing the front grill of the car. It is a clip type connector/plug so you will need to press on a small clip/button in the front of the connector/plug and pull it out (towards the right).

2. I disconnected/ripped the connector/plug wires from the hood latch.

The connector/plug is partly held in place next to the hood latch by a plastic holder. You can see this from the top after you open the hood. I used a flat head screwdriver to push this plastic holder through the hole it was resting on to have the hood latch connector/plug hang completely loose. Then I used some force to pull the connector/plug and its wire out from the hood latch. It was fairly easy and did not require too much force as there are just two thin wires (in one black sheath) connecting the connector/plug to the hood latch.

3. I shorted the two green connector/plug wires.

After I ripped out the connector, I shortened its length and peeled back the green wire sheaths for both the thin wires coming from the connector/plug. I then twisted the two wires together to basically close the loop or short them. This is similar to making it look like the hood is always closed.

4. I connected the connector/plug back in to the alarm socket.

This essentially makes the hood sensor think the hood is always closed and it never triggers the HOOD OPEN warning either while driving or when the car is parked and the security system is armed.

5. Problem solved.

This entire process took me about 30 minutes because I was doing it for the first time. No need to replace the hood latch assembly at all if you are okay with the HOOD OPEN warning remaining permanently disabled. The dealer quoted me $450.00 for parts and labor to fix this problem.

#18 ·
Bypass hood latch to permanently disable HOOD OPEN warning in 2007 Camry XLE I4

Hello,

This is the easiest and cheapest (free) way to permanently disable the false HOOD OPEN warning in a 2007 Camry XLE I4. It might also work for other Toyota models and model years if the hood-latch-with-sensor assembly is the same.

I had been getting the HOOD OPEN warning constantly while driving and the car alarm also went off randomly during the day and night when the car was parked and locked because the hood latch sensor was malfunctioning. To address this I did the following:

1. I unplugged the hood latch sensor connector from the hood alarm socket.

This socket is located right below the hood latch and you can see the connector/plug from the hood latch going in to the socket. The setup is such that the socket is on the left and the connector/plug is inserted from the right, when you are facing the front grill of the car. It is a clip type connector/plug so you will need to press on a small clip/button in the front of the connector/plug and pull it out (towards the right).

2. I disconnected/ripped the connector/plug wires from the hood latch.

The connector/plug is partly held in place next to the hood latch by a plastic holder. You can see this from the top after you open the hood. I used a flat head screwdriver to push this plastic holder through the hole it was resting on to have the hood latch connector/plug hang completely loose. Then I used some force to pull the connector/plug and its wire out from the hood latch. It was fairly easy and did not require too much force as there are just two thin wires (in one black sheath) connecting the connector/plug to the hood latch.

3. I shorted the two green connector/plug wires.

After I ripped out the connector, I shortened its length and peeled back the green wire sheaths for both the thin wires coming from the connector/plug. I then twisted the two wires together to basically close the loop or short them. This is similar to making it look like the hood is always closed.

4. I connected the connector/plug back in to the alarm socket.

This essentially makes the hood sensor think the hood is always closed and it never triggers the HOOD OPEN warning either while driving or when the car is parked and the security system is armed.

5. Problem solved.

This entire process took me about 30 minutes because I was doing it for the first time. No need to replace the hood latch assembly at all if you are okay with the HOOD OPEN warning remaining permanently disabled. The dealer quoted me $450.00 for parts and labor to fix this problem.
THANK YOU!!! I did these 4 steps, basically, and it worked. Car thinks the hood is always closed. I was unable to do #2 - ripping out the wire from the hood latch... so I just snipped it. Then did #3 and #4 as described... unsheathed the two green wires, twisted them together, taped them up, and re-connected the plug back into the alarm socket with a now-closed loop circuit.

#19 ·
Hi, I am getting "Hood Open" warning even though it was closed. I tried open and close it for several time but it is still showing the same warning. Can any one please suggest me steps to look into this issue. Where to look for the sensor and what steps needs to be taken for taking care of this issue.

The camry G 2007 model onwards does have the hood open warning. Mine just started acting up and my alarm just goes off randomly when car is parked and locked. The sensor is under the lock latch of the hood, behind the front grill

#22 ·

Suggest that you replace your remote start hood switch that is connected to the hood latch. It is about $50 online and is Toyota Part No. PT398-0321.

#24 ·

I don't have my Camry anymore, replaced it with a Tundra but, when I had the problem I replaced the sensor where the front hood latch is and that took care of the problem. Mine actually was setting off the car alarm too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.