Toyota Nation Forum banner

hair trigger throttle

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  invader 
#1 ·
I bought a 5-speed 2010 Corolla about 5 months ago. The test drive went well and I figured that I would get used to the touchy throttle. I have put on 3,000 miles and in that time, I have been unable to drive the car smoothly either starting from a stop or shifting gears. I am no stranger to manual shift, as I owned a 1998 Jetta for 14 years and 182,000 miles. This Corolla has the most sensitive throttle I have ever experienced in any vehicle I've ever driven. Is there a way to reprogram the computer so that the throttle response is more linear? Dare I say more sluggish? Thanks.

#3 ·
I've never seen anyone say this! :lol: I have a Pivot D-3 throttle controller and I love it. I have it set on Sport 4 most of the time for a more responsive throttle but the "Eco" settings are nice in bad weather to make the throttle more relaxed.

Here is where I mounted mine.

Reactions: stvotw
#4 ·
Yes, I really did say that. If I want more or faster throttle, I'll push the pedal down farther or faster. I commute in this car, so I need part-throttle driveability more than anything. 5,000 rpm in the first half-inch of travel doesn't help. I'll check into those controllers. Are folks using those for even MORE throttle response?

#5 ·
Definitely the first complaint I've heard about to much throttle response. Yes most of the time throttle controller is used for faster throttle response, but as already mentioned it can be dialed down to be less responsive. Remember this is an electronic throttle so you are limited by what the computer wants to do.

#6 · (Edited)
The lack of control is most likely related to your accelerator pedal sensor assembly which may be worn, damaged, or contaminated, particularly at low throttle opening. This is easily confirmed with a scanner (code reader) plugged in OBD port to read its signal from idle to WOT positions which should be responsive and proportionally progressive with no flat spot or sharp step.... I had the same problem with my TPS, until I upgraded it with a new Denso unit.

78110-07011 for production date 03/2008-02/2010 was replaced by 78110-08010.

http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/parts-list/2010-toyota-corolla-nap/accelerator-link.html?PNC=78010F

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...mission-forum/335750-my-pedal-fix-my-xrs.html

Well, with all this pedal talk, Denso pedals, CTS pedals, this that and the other thing, I decided that the best course of action was something different.

The 07-10 Camry and the 09-10 Corolla share the same CTS and/or Denso pedals (78110-07011 & 78110-33020, respectively). On 2007-2009 Camry SE models here in Canada, they were equipped with port installed "sport pedals" which fit over top of the existing accelerator pedal.

For 2010 on the Camry SE, Toyota changed the pedals to sport pedals from the factory, utilizing a Japan-made Denso accelerator pedal (almost the same ones used in the G7 Celica, MR2 Spyder, Lexus IS, etc.). Knowing that the regular pedals are the same between the 2 cars, I decided that factory sport pedals are definitely the way to go. This was actually mentioned as a possibility in a thread a long time ago, but I don't think anyone has actually done it before.

Original CTS pedal compared to Denso sport pedal:

Pedals installed in car:

Just thought I'd share, sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.