TSB - Engine Knock/Rattle/Squeak on Cold Start - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum Intake to exhaust, this is the place to discuss what makes 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix go fast and how it gets there.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Post TSB - Engine Knock/Rattle/Squeak on Cold Start

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about this. My car had made a squealing/rattle sound for about a second on a cold start: I ignored it because it only happened once. For the past two days my car has done it every cold start (a total of 5 times) so I decided to take it in to the dealership. I told the tech I thought it may be the belt and/or tensioner and he agreed it was likely. I took my loaner car (downgrade to base model Corolla ) and went about my day, he assured me it should be done by early afternoon. After 4 hours I decided to call that is when I got the news that there is a TSB out for my issue and I would be without my car for 4-5 days because they do not have the parts in stock.

I had him print out the TSB information so that I could relay it to everyone here because I know others were having the same issue. The TSB does not mention a squeal but it may sound like a squeal/knock/rattle/screech/metallic grinding. Apparently this is attributed to an oil leak.

T-SB-0087-09 - March 13, 2009

Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup

Service Category: Engine/Hybrid System
Section: Engine Mechanical
Market: USA

Applicability:
2009 Corolla - Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): BL40E, BU40E.
2009 Matrix - Drive Type(s): 2WD. Engine(s): 2ZR. Transmission(s): 4AT, 5MT. VDS(s): KU40E

Introduction:
Immediately following a cold soak startup, some 2009 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit a brief knock/rattle noise from the engine compartment for approximately one second. Follow the repair procedure below to address customer concerns.

Parts Information:

Previous Part Number: 13050-0T010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gear Assembly, Camshaft Timing. Qty: 1.

Previous Part Number: 11213-37020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover. Qty: 1.

Previous Part Number: 11159-37010. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Camshaft Bearing Cap Oil Hole. Qty: 2.

Previous Part Number: 13552-0T020. Current Part Number: Same. Part Name: Gasket, Timing Chain Tensioner. Qty: 1.

Warranty Information:
OP Code: EG9006. Description: R & R Camshaft Timing Gear Assembly. Time: 1.5. OFP: 13050-0T010. T1: 06. T2: 40.

Applicable Warranty:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date. Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Well there it is, sorry for the long story to start. My car will be at the dealer until Tuesday but I will post an update once I get it back and run it for a few days. If you are having a similar issue I would take it in to be checked soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to metalbones For This Useful Post:
tr918 (04-16-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Old Fart

Good info, Hey Mods is there any way to get these TSB's on a sticky?
#3 Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Official TN Member

yea get this on sticky.........i have the SAME problem, when i went to the dealer they told me its a new car, we didnt find anything blah blah blah all bullshit. i have 6,650 miles on my car and it should not be making a squeak noise when i start it and a knock sound when i put it into drive. im starting to hate corollas they are nothing but problems, all little small stuff. im gonna try and go back to the dealer next week and bitch someone out..

2009 Corolla S Black Sand Pearl - Automatic

TRD Air Filter
#4 Old 06-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Official TN Member

i love how there are 128 views and only 2 responses. thanks guys !!

TRD Air Filter
#5 Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightclownin35 View Post

129... you're Welcome!

JDM yellow fog bulbs, Cool Blue Headlight bulbs, Modified Intake, TRD air filter, billet shifter knob, modified light sensor, Carbon Fiber Dash, 30% Window tint, tinted reverse lights, signals, de-badged, MSW type 12 wheels, Eagle GT 225/40-18 tires, additional brake lights, TRD sway bar, Lowered
#6 Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 PM
TN user

Quote:

Make that 3. I think all TSB's should be sticky too! It really helps with the poor communication to the dealers from Toyota to have the TSB# and printout!

I had the oil consumption problem when I got my 2009 and of course the dealer had never heard of a TSB for it. MADE IT NICE TO PULL THE TSB OUT (PRINTED FROM THIS SITE) AND PRESENT IT TO HIM!)

Funny, they found it after looking a bit harder!

Last edited by gizzer777; 06-08-2009 at 08:25 PM.
#7 Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
uh..no, it's not a hybrid

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Canada

I have chimed in time and time again how important information like TSB's should be stickies. Until recently the only stickie worthy information mods have put up are "post pics of your ride" and other generic Toyota information.

Perhaps the newer mods that have put up important and safety related information would post up a TSB only thread where in the TSB info only is posted and discussions concerning those TSBs discussed below in a separate thread.

'09 Corolla CE Enhanced Auto
TRD Springs/Sway/Xrs FSB by Yamaha
Lifetime : 6.111L/100km(38.761mpgUS)
Maximum: 5.082L/100km(46.287mpgUS)

(manually calculated)
(original unflashed factory ECM code)
#8 Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 PM
New TN User

Definitely need a TSB sticky, if only just a thread with links to the individual TSB threads.
#9 Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Official TN Member

dropped my car off today, lets see what they find !!!

TRD Air Filter
#10 Old 06-11-2009, 02:38 PM
New TN User

My Corolla doesn't have this issue (knock on wood), but I agree about having a TSB sticky thread.
#11 Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Official TN Member

ok

so i took the car in yesterday, i told them to let it sit over night and start it up in the morning and it will squeak/chirp for 1 second, the service ad told me they could not get the sound, could not hear it and they gave me a loaner and told me they will try again tomorrow

they also told me that this is new to them, i was the only car about this issue ?? hahaha yea right, ive heard about this many times on this forum. i told them that there was a TSB out for it and they were clueless as to what i was talking about and before i told them that, they told me about a TSB on some clips on the back window that rattled that they fixed..

it seemed like they got mad when i mentioned the TSB on the chirp/squeak sound and that there is 2 knocks when u put the car into drive and apply gas

so hopefully they fix this shit, it is a new car and i should not be having any problems. i took it there a few months ago and the tech told me that its still a new car, it was making that sound because of the weather, well guess what, it has been steady 70-80 degrees where i live for the past month and i hear the sound every morning when i start the car. he pretty much bullshitted me about how i have a "great" warranty and that they love to do warranty work, and how my car was too new to find anything and that it did not give them any codes...

so i will hear from them tomorrow and see what they say, ill keep u guys posted

TRD Air Filter
#12 Old 06-11-2009, 05:57 PM
New TN User

Quote:
they told me about a TSB on some clips on the back window that rattled that they fixed.
I'm sorry to go sidetrack on you, but there's a TSB for the rattling back window?? I have an appointment tomorrow to bring my car into the dealer to get that fixed.

Any insight you can provide on the rattling back window TSB?
#13 Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Official TN Member

yea man !!!!! ok when i would drive it would sound like my whole back window was rattling, buzzing sound...my friends were in the back of my car one day and i cant obviously pinpoint what it is if i am driving, and they said it was definitely the window.....

really annoying sound, i would hear it every day.....so the dealer said there is a TSB out for our cars 09 corolla that there are some tabs/clips ? that they removed or something causing that rattling noise

i have not gotten my car back yet, im hoping i get it tommorrow but yea, they said there was a TSB out for rattling/buzzing sound coming from the back window, and they fixed it, id asked them about it !!!

TRD Air Filter
#14 Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Senior TN Member

straightclownin35 i am just curious... have you tried driving your car with one of the toyota guys sitting at the back just to let them hear the weird sound?
#15 Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Official TN Member

nope. when i explained it to them, they knew exactly what i was talking about surprisingly.

they said other people have been complaining about the same thing and that there was a TSB out for it and they said they knew what it was..

TRD Air Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum