Click/Crack noise when putting in reverse - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum

10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum Intake to exhaust, this is the place to discuss what makes 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix go fast and how it gets there.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View clepeterd's Photo Gallery
Canada Click/Crack noise from auto transmission upon starting

Hi,

I'm the new owner of a Matrix XR 2010 (Matrix S in the US) with the 2.4 liter engine and an auto transmission. The car has only 350 km on the odo.

After one week of use, I noticed that when I take the car out of the driveway (I park forward) when I put the transmission in reverse and the car is cold, 4 out of 5 times, the car emits a big clunk (from the outside, you can hear a loud Clank/Click). I have also noticed this morning that it also happens if I put the transmission in "D" position as well...

This started after 3-4 days of use. I do not abuse the car, I'm currently letting the the engine "break in" for 1600 km.

I have an appointment at the dealer next week, but I don't like this noise, not to mention that it is intermittent. It only appears to happen the first time I put the car in reverse or drive, when the engine is cold.

Any idea what might be wrong ? I still have to use that car, the car seems to ride normally afterward. No noise from the transmission, seems to shift ok.

Thanks

Last edited by clepeterd; 10-11-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Change title and description
clepeterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View keyboardracer's Photo Gallery
Is your driveway incline or not perfectly flat
do you use your handbrake when the car is in park?
do you depress your brake fully while shift form park to reverse?
keyboardracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

My driveaway is not perfectly flat. It does happen on level parking as well. I do use the handbrake though, because I find that the "park" setting seems to let the vehicle move too much (compared to other automatic cars I have driven) as if there is too much "slack"...

I do release the hand brack lever completely. But it might be related to the parking brake. I'll see when I go to the dealer tomorrow... but I fear the dreadfull "it's normal" diagnostic...

I'm not lucky with my new cars.. My previous yaris was doing AT LEAST 8 litres/100km on the highway :-( toyota always said it was normal (my previous echo 2002 was doing well under 7l/100) and my new matrix was delivered with a hump on the side of the car :-( That's why I go to the dealer tomorrow, to have it fixed...
Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I would say it is just the brake pads are sticking . Do you ever drive on hwy to fully warm up your brakes..?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

I did not hit the brakes hard yet, the car is new and I'm following the break in recommendations. It really seems to come from the tranny. Or from the front of the car, so I don't think it's the handbrake.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Is the clicking noise is one click when you start your car from stationary to moving?

Is it like tick-tick-tick-tick noise on slow speed?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

No, it's a single loud "clunk" (from inside of the car) and it sound like a big "click" from outside the car. Only when the gears seem to engage. I'll see what the dealer finds tomorrow. Lucky as I am, I'm sure they'll tell me it's NORMAL, but I'll ask to try another matrix or two in the lot to convince myself !
Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Please keep me up to date about this issue. The only noise i heard is the power door locks engage when shift from park to drive. I guess if they don't give you a good answer then you tell them, I will give you 0(very dissatisfied) on the customer service evaluation.

Make sure you mail the questioner like January since they sell the least amount of car ,it will make their CSI score rank last in their retail zone.

The customer evaluation score plays a big part on the salesman and the dealership performance.

My friend just brought a 09 Honda Accord brand new, The power steering reservoir goes empty in 1 week. The sales manager brush him off and the service adviser claimed no fault found and top up the oil. 2 days later the reservoir go empty again,

My friend give a ultimatum to the service advisor and he will give them big fat 0 on the Honda Canada's customer Satisfaction evaluation. Then the Service Manager handles the case personally and the got a brand new steering rack and gear box assemblies.

Last edited by keyboardracer; 10-12-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

Finally, the transmission problem was unreproducible by the dealer. I even tried to reproduce it at the dealership, and it did not reproduce.

Upon arriving home, guess what ? The problem reappeared ! The dealer told me to watch for it and if it becomes more frequent, they'll look at it.

They fixed the small bump on my car. I can still see something, or feel something when I slide my fingers where they fixed the small bump, but someone who did not know there was a dent, would probably never notice.

Now, I've got another problem: condensation in BOTH headlight lens, at the bottom. It was there last night (0 celcius) and gone today in the morning.

Looks like I may have herited a lemon. Too bad the matrix is not made in Japan...
Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I know how you feel. Did you leave the car there overnight and ask them to start it first thing at the morning ?

Next time you should do test drive with the technician.

Either your car was warm when the tech test driving it . Or is just only the service adviser test driving it.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

It seems to happen at random, but mostly when the car is cold. I could reproduce it hot also. Playing between reverse and drive and park. Next time I see the dealer, i'll show them. It's gonna wait for the next oil change unless it starts acting up...
Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

is this the first car you ever drove/own equipped with ABS..? you know when you start the car the ABS actuator would make noise when it initialize the system every time you start your car. There is an audible noise when the system doing safety check .
Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

Automagically fixed

Just to let you know that after 3000 km or so on the car, the click/clunk sound when putting the car in reverse seems to be gone definitively. I guess it was part of the break in...

Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View corollary's Photo Gallery
I have a 07 corolla that started doing the same thing at 40,000 miles. The dealership can't reproduce the sound so can't fix it? I recorded it and played if for them and they said they can't diagnose a problem from the sound???
corollary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum