Turning on the heat goes with the RPM? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum Intake to exhaust, this is the place to discuss what makes 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix go fast and how it gets there.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA Turning on the heat goes with the RPM?

Yo fellas.. I don't have this issue with my other cars, so I don't know if this is normal for the corollas. Here's the thing: I turn on the heat, and the RPM goes up like 2-3 lines. If I turn it off, the RPM goes down a lil bit.

You'll notice it more precisely if the car is pretty warmed up, like to a 1 RPM. I don't see any differences when the car is on a cold start. One other thing, when the heat is turned on, every time I shift from P to R, the RPM moves up dramatically (about 4lines) then back down. The car even jerks a little bit. It also happens when I go into D.

I've never had any experience like this with the other cars I've driven before. This is my first Corolla, so it's all new to me.

So fellas, check your cars out and tell me. Thanks.
Corolla_2K10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Ask your Mother
 
sinnaever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halton Region, Ontario
Posts: 2,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 60
Thanked 100 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
LOL....

I am going to be nice and just say...
It is normal.

Just remember your engine does more than just spin the wheels.


sinnaever is offline  
#3 Old 01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Diehard Rams Fan
 
SuperchargedMR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 15,091
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Thanks: 625
Thanked 1,041 Times in 929 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Yes, it's normal & I've seen most cars do it!

89 Supercharged White MR2 MT/09 Corolla S CSM MT/08 Yaris HB MT
94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/
07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

SuperchargedMR2 is offline  
#4 Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Corolla Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Mine does it every time on a cold start... but just like you are concerned, I was too. But do not worry about it, I usually let the car warm up for 30 sec, then I turn on the heat/air.
Crobledo4116 is offline  
#5 Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Diehard Rams Fan
 
SuperchargedMR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 15,091
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Thanks: 625
Thanked 1,041 Times in 929 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobledo4116 View Post
Mine does it every time on a cold start... but just like you are concerned, I was too. But do not worry about it, I usually let the car warm up for 30 sec, then I turn on the heat/air.
FYI, if you need heat than the engine temp will warm up faster if you leave the heater off for a few minutes before turning on the heater on.

89 Supercharged White MR2 MT/09 Corolla S CSM MT/08 Yaris HB MT
94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/
07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

SuperchargedMR2 is offline  
#6 Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Megan Exhaust
 
RollaRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Katy,Tx
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yeah its normal man don't worry about it.

2009 Corolla S Barcelona Red 1.8l Weapon R intake w/ K&N filter. Megan Racing Exhaust. Ksport Coilovers.
RollaRed is offline  
#7 Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Official TN Member
 
lincolnskilz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Bay
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
It should be normal, the rpms rises up also when the heat is on.

01 Cam
09 SW Rolla S
lincolnskilz is offline  
#8 Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
The random one
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corolla_2K10 View Post
Yo fellas.. I don't have this issue with my other cars, so I don't know if this is normal for the corollas. Here's the thing: I turn on the heat, and the RPM goes up like 2-3 lines. If I turn it off, the RPM goes down a lil bit.

You'll notice it more precisely if the car is pretty warmed up, like to a 1 RPM. I don't see any differences when the car is on a cold start. One other thing, when the heat is turned on, every time I shift from P to R, the RPM moves up dramatically (about 4lines) then back down. The car even jerks a little bit. It also happens when I go into D.

I've never had any experience like this with the other cars I've driven before. This is my first Corolla, so it's all new to me.

So fellas, check your cars out and tell me. Thanks.
The motor will react to any demanding load ; ac compressor (defrost), high loads on the alternator and gear changes to minimize the delays and keep all systems balanced. These rpm changes are regular and more frequent with automatic transmission since it is the motor managing the gear shifts.
MiniPacou is offline  
#9 Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Senior TN Member
 
joeylgarcia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
it is true that your rpm will go up 1rpm when u turn on the heater. just like everyone who replied they all they it is normal. i have to agree to that too.

what they never said which is not normal is when you shift your gears and you feel your car jerking. that is a brand new car and you should not feel any jerking motion when you shift gears. and i am assuming you have an automatic because you mentioned P, R and D. if i feel that jerking motion i would be concerned. there is definitely something wrong.

with my old cars once i start feeling that jerking motion when i shift gears, its either i sell the car or have it fixed right away. in the long run it is going to cost you more.
joeylgarcia is offline  
#10 Old 01-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Diehard Rams Fan
 
SuperchargedMR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 15,091
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Thanks: 625
Thanked 1,041 Times in 929 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylgarcia View Post
what they never said which is not normal is when you shift your gears and you feel your car jerking. that is a brand new car and you should not feel any jerking motion when you shift gears. and i am assuming you have an automatic because you mentioned P, R and D. if i feel that jerking motion i would be concerned. there is definitely something wrong.

with my old cars once i start feeling that jerking motion when i shift gears, its either i sell the car or have it fixed right away. in the long run it is going to cost you more.
I don't have much experience with automatics but the few that I've owned have never had this issue. My Previa S/C is smooth as silk even at 15 years old & 120k plus miles.

89 Supercharged White MR2 MT/09 Corolla S CSM MT/08 Yaris HB MT
94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/
07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

SuperchargedMR2 is offline  
#11 Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 13
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I think that the variation of the idle rpm of your car is normal.

From my observation with my 2010 Corolla CE:
The idle rpm when it is warm-up:
1) is about 650-750 rpm when the light is OFF and/ or the fan is ON with the ventilation at feet or at normal position;
2) is about 750-850 rpm when the light is switched ON and/ or the fan is ON with the ventilation at feet or at normal position;
3) will increase occasionally to 900-950 rpm when the ventilation is set at window defrost position; at the defrost position the compressor will cycle ON-OFF.

The gas consumption will worsen (by about 5%) if the ventilation is set at the defrost position. So only use the defrost if it is necessary.

Last edited by The7; 01-30-2010 at 04:11 PM.
The7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome