Clicking noise when turning, only in extreme cold temperatures - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum

10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum Intake to exhaust, this is the place to discuss what makes 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix go fast and how it gets there.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Cadman1981's Photo Gallery
Clicking noise when turning, only in extreme cold temperatures

Hi Guys, i THINK i saw it on here, but i can't find the post.

Lately it's been -20 degrees (Celcuis) here in Quebec, and when i start driving the car, as soon as i take a turn, i hear a clicking noise coming from the center part of my front, it doesn't sound like it's coming from my wheels at all. It doesn't matter if i turn left or right. The noise goes away after driving for 1 minute.

I took it to the dealer, but of course, they couldn't hear it because the car was warmed up, so i'm thinking of leaving it over night, any suggestions? I read that Civics and Corollas have thick Diff oil that cause this?
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $302500
View corolla_goof's Photo Gallery
Having the same thing, seems more prominent on right turns than left but does disappear after about a min of driving.
corolla_goof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Anyone??
Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View sienna1's Photo Gallery
Canada

Maybe you've checked this already? Make sure there's no build-up of ice or slush on the wheel-well liners. The tire will make contact during turns even with a small accumulation.
sienna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View hungt1999's Photo Gallery
Hi all,

I think I am the first person who report this problem three winters ago in 2008 on this site.

My original post is here:
CV joints axle failing already?

When the temperature is colder than -10C, after the car has been parked for at least several hours in the cold, you hear a grinding noise in the drivetrain when you make a sharp turn (in my case, both left or right) while accelerating at the same time. The grinding eventually disappear after the car has warmed up.

My car did this since it was brand new. I have been complaining about this problem to the dealer for the last 3 winters. Of course, every time they could not reproduce the problem.

Yesterday, it was -20C and I dropped the car off at the dealer. Yeeee! this morning, it was cold enough and the technician was able to reproduce the problem.

The dealer just called me to inform that they diagnose the problem to be a faulty left CV joint. They will replace the left Shaft and CV joint, the parts have been ordered and will be replaced tomorrow.

I hope this will solve my problem.

I am still wondering:
- the car was brand new when I noticed this problem 3 years ago, it is unlikely that it came with a bad CV joint
- maybe the factory grease they use is not adequate for this temperature, this causes the grinding and could eventually lead to premature wear
- why did they say the left CV joint? my car makes grinding noise in both left and right turns

I will keep you guys updated.

You guys who have the same problem, I suggest you to complain to your dealer and make sure they fix this or at least, document this complain from you properly and give you the print out with the date. This is because your 3-year, 60,000 km warranty will probably expire before the next winter. This is a major repair down the road if you need to have your CV shaft and joint replaced outside of warranty. With the proof of complain, you will have something to argue about down the road.

Last edited by hungt1999; 01-25-2011 at 02:12 PM.
hungt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

So what's the latest update? Has the CV joint been replaced? It would be weird that it's a CV joint, as it only does it when it is really cold... hmm
Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View ericgu22's Photo Gallery
It does not happen only under extreme conditions!!! Today was like -5, still click so probably check with the dealer very soon.!!
ericgu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
So what's the latest update? Has the CV joint been replaced? It would be weird that it's a CV joint, as it only does it when it is really cold... hmm
Here is my update:

The dealer ordered the left CV joint and changed it for me yesterday. They said the grinding noise was probably due to a manufacturing defect of the original CV joint.

I drove the car yesterday evening and did not hear any grinding, however, yesterday was not very cold (my car doing the grinding only at temperature lower than -10C).

Today it is about -5C in Montreal, I took the car out for testing and did not hear anything. Over the next few days, I will watch this closely, hopefully the temperature will drop below -10C so I can be certain that this grinding problem is gone
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Which dealer did you take your car to? I'm from Montreal too

Today my car didn't make the noise, it wasn't cold enough
Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
Which dealer did you take your car to? I'm from Montreal too

Today my car didn't make the noise, it wasn't cold enough
My car was serviced at Chomedey Toyota in Laval, talk to Michel LagacÚ (he is one of the advisor there)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

update: the car is going back to the dealership for more troubleshooting. It has been colder in the last two days and the grinding noise continues. They replaced the left CV joint and shaft, that did not solve the issue

I will keep you updated on what they will find out
Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View daldaf's Photo Gallery
Hello all (new here)...

I'm having the same problem - corolla 2009 (born 2008), grinding/clunck noise when turning either left or right, when it get's colder outside, goes away after a few kms of driving. It is proportional to speed (thus clunck or grinding). Have thought of doing what you did hungt1999 - taking it to the dealer the night before a cold morning (below -15 or so) is expected to make sure I don't get the "can't reproduce" answer, but just haven't had the chance even to bring it to the dealer during the day to start complaining.

I bought the car used a couple of months ago, and I'm 2K kms from the 60000 mark (and about 3 months for the 3 year mark) - so I guess I must hurry up (or could this be under the powertrain warranty?)

I've been trying to get as much info I can online to try and rule out problems and be better prepared for the dealer. First time I heard it I thought of course of ice buildup but that was quickly ruled out. Also thought of wheel or even rim contact with something, but it's not the case. Wheel bearings was next thought, but not quite sure due to the type of noise, and I have been now suspecting cv joints - and this post is the first one I find talking about this same problem.

hungt1999: It seems to me that the noise comes predominantly from the right side when turning left and left side when turning right (although it is hard to tell sometimes... and a couple of times seems from the center, but maybe that's if I hear both at the same time?). So I would believe it could be both CV joints - any talk of that with the dealer? Maybe they need to also replace the right one on your car? This left vs right seems also to have been pointed out by someone in your original 2008 posts. So it might as well be.

I have the St-Eustache dealer closer to me, and will try with them (hopefully tomorrow). But will consider going to Chomedy if they are already aware of the problem. But PLEASE DO KEEP US POSTED!!

PS. the car also has a low idle problem -dropping to ~550rpm before jumping back to 700 (initially the drop was only to 600rpm so its getting worse), with associated engine vibration. Not Good. Problem is that this is a 'warmed up' issue, opposed to the 'cold' problem above... so I'll have to spend some time at the dealership. I'm really getting 2nd thoughts on having gotten the corolla for which I factored in the 'most reliable car' background... I know it is a matter of 'luck' sometimes, but I traded a 10 year old Focus for it for which I spend not even 1000$ in repair work in the 6.5 years we got it... it was just now showing some normal aging issues and rust.

Last edited by daldaf; 02-02-2011 at 05:58 AM.
daldaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

The sound seems to come from the right center, which is where the transmission is. Now that it's below -10, i had my wife drive as i was outside of the car, and it seems to come from the Diff, when you turn right or left is when it's engaged. I found on another website some Honda Civics have the same issue, and it's the oil that is too thick. The dealer wants to charge me 75$ to do the change...
Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Me too, I asked the wife to drive the car and make sharp turns while I was standing outside to listen to the noise. The noise is pretty loud!

I left the car last night at the dealer. It seems that before me, nobody has ever complained about this problem before. I told them about checking if they can use a different fluid for the gear/differential oil but they said Toyota has not issued any TSB about that.

Does anyone of you here have the Protegez-vous magazine? (the car buying guide edition) I remember reading last year for the Corolla that you need to check for the gear box or driveshaft (something like that). Unfortunately I don't have the magazine and if I remember correctly, it was the 2009 edition.

By the way, you guys all have the 5-speed manual transmission right?

This problem does not seem to affect the automatic transmission

Normally powertrain components have a 5-year or 100 000 km warranty but you never know, it is better to report issues and fix them before the 3-year/60 0000km complete warranty ends

Maybe if you guys all go to Chomedey Toyota, they should be in a better position to pin point the problem now that they are aware of it.

I reported this problem 2 winter ago at Gabriel Toyota but they could not reproduce the problem.

I think that in order to successfully reproduce this problem, you have to wait for a really cold day (below -10C) and leave the car overnite at the dealer (Chomedey Toyota service is open Mo-Th until 9pm)

Let me know about your findings.

In my case, the stronger you accelerate, the more grinding it makes and the noise seems to be loudest when one of the wheels is slipping (i.e. sharp turn and whiule accelerating on a slippery surface) can you guys confirm that?

Today is a good day to test this thing, it is -12C now

I personally think that this problem is the gear oil that is too thick, not the CV joint. What a waste of time and I am sick of troubleshooting this issue, I am considering going out buy a bottle of Redline gear oil and do it myself, it is not that hard to replace the gear oil. I read the Redline 75W90 gear oil is pretty good (synthetic?) it is expensive though in Canada, about $25 per litre and I think our cars could use more than one litre

Last edited by hungt1999; 02-02-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
One with the force

Gameroom cash: $366887
View thestone11's Photo Gallery
I lived in Edmonton, it was -35C in my place for the past two days. And through out all the extreme winter here, touch wood, my corolla doesn't have this problem at all. Mine is a 5 speed. You guys are talking about gear oil.....I don't think that is the issue, since the gear oil won't be frozen under only -25C. Another question is, does it make the noise only in turns? If so, then it is not the gear oil.....

Sometimes noise related to the moisture build up and got frozen to ice, so whenever you starts to drive. The ice are force to crack and came off the car, brakes, suspension parts....etc.

Last edited by thestone11; 02-02-2011 at 09:08 AM.
thestone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum