Transmission the same as 2007 Corolla gen 1 Transmission? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum Intake to exhaust, this is the place to discuss what makes 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix go fast and how it gets there.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-17-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Transmission the same as 2007 Corolla gen 1 Transmission?

Bear with me while I explain my question:

2007 Corolla manual transmission has a bad bearing on the shaft that fails and causes the transmission casing to oblong and eventually fail. We have replaced the transmission with the "gen 2 version". Recently my sister slid in snow and hit an concrete median in the back, the car is totalled. She really liked her car so she found a 2009. Fearful that this car has the same transmission as the 2007 I have called the dealership (3 actually) and they have all said that the transmission part numbers are different between the 2007 and 2009.

The question that I have is whether the 2009 has the "upgraded" transmission? I have checked clutch assembly dimensions and they are larger for the 2009. So it is possible that the transmission has been upgraded? Currently the clutch in the 2009 feels spongy to her from her old car. In my opinion this is just a tired throw-out bearing / clutch plate. I am looking to find information regarding whether the 2009 has the same issue as the 2007 regarding failure. We were working to buy back the 2007 to harvest the transmission until I found out the part numbers are different. I hope that I have been clear.

Question: does the 2009 transmission have the same bearing problem as the 2007 that eventually destroys the transmission and requires replacement? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-21-2017, 10:48 AM
uh..no, it's not a hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Canada

The gen10 manual transmission had the same issue as the gen9 did regarding the throw-out bearing. The tell tale squeak is one of the more common symptoms of upcoming issues. Some people have the issue while others don't.

I don't know if gen11 is affected.

'09 Corolla CE Enhanced Auto
TRD Springs/Sway/Xrs FSB by Yamaha
Lifetime : 6.111L/100km(38.761mpgUS)
Maximum: 5.082L/100km(46.287mpgUS)

(manually calculated)
(original unflashed factory ECM code)
post #3 of 3 Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Corolla Freak

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
The gen10 manual transmission had the same issue as the gen9 did regarding the throw-out bearing. The tell tale squeak is one of the more common symptoms of upcoming issues. Some people have the issue while others don't.

I don't know if gen11 is affected.
The 11th gen uses a 6 speed EC65 manual transmission while the 9th and 10th gen have the C59 transmission. I'm pretty sure that the EC65 doesn't have the same problem as the C59.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix Engine and Transmission Forum