Toyota Nation Forum banner

Replacing drum brakes

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  THEWISEONE 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I am trying to replace my aunts 2011 corolla LE drum brakes. I did replace drums brakes on a 97 corolla 12 years ago using the haynes manual. I can't find anywhere information on how to go ahead and change the shoes. I looked at some of the videos but they are different from the ones mentioned on this car.

I started with the driver side drum and tried to screw in the star nut by lifting the lever that holds the gear and I am unable to screw it in to reduce the tension.

Can someone please help me out with the instructions..

#5 ·
Are you sure you need new shoes?

Or you are just trying to see how much braking material you have left?

I assume the Corolla brakes are like the ones I have on my Camry. There is a little tab on the thing that holds the star gear. Try to insert a little screwdriver towards the rear end and push on it. It should release the tab and you will be able to rotate that gear.

Good luck,
Sam

#6 ·
So I just removed all the brake dust and I was able to to screw in and move the star brake adjustor , which was initially hard to move.

I put the drum back and drove in to work... no squeak sounds anymore .. the shoes did have 50% of life. All this while I thought it needed new brakes. It's probably the combination of the brake dust and the hard to move star adjustor...

I will still need to info when it's time to change ... probably 6-7 months from now ( fingers crossed )

Thanks for the help

#7 ·
I will still need to info when it's time to change ... probably 6-7 months from now ( fingers crossed )

Thanks for the help
I do not think so.

I have over 160K on my Camry and the rear shoes are about 7mm thick.

On the front wheel drive vehicles the front brakes are the ones that do the most work.

Regards,
Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.