Toyota Nation Forum banner

Suspension (Lowering Springs/Coilovers/Chassis Bars): All your questions answered!

619K views 3K replies 350 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OP: Anybody have any luck finding aftermarket springs for the 2009 Corolla S? Eibachs or H & R ??
Lowering the Corolla!

Q&A

Q) Will lowering the car affect the ride quality?
A) Yes! Altering the stock suspension in any way will always change the way it feels. There are two different types of ways to lower your car, Springs and/or Coilovers

Q) How hard is the installation of Lowering Springs?
A) If you have any kind of automotive and mechanical knowledge, you shouldn't have a problem. We have a DIY here on the site to help you out!

Tools needed for Lowering Spring Installation
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308046

DIY on TRD Sparks for TRD Springs Installation (will work for any other brand)
http://trdsparks.com/install/PTR40-02080inst.pdf

Here are some pictures of members rides on the forum to show the drop of each Lowering Spring or Coilover

Brand: Tein H-Techs Lowering Springs
Drop: About three finger gap all around, about 2"
Height Above the Tire:
Front: 1/2"
Rear: 3/4"
Tire Size Used: 235/45/17

Front:

Rear:​

Overall:

Brand: Tein S-Techs Lowering Springs
Drop: Rated Front/Rear 1.6/1.8 by manufacturer, but actually 1.5/2.0
Height Above the Tire:
Front: 1 1/2"
Rear: 2"
Tire Size Used: 205/55R16

Front

Rear

Brand: Tein S-Techs Lowering Springs NOTE: These S-Techs were designed for the 9thGen Corolla]
Drop: ---NEED INFO---
Height Above the Tire:
Front: 1/2"
Rear: 1/4"
Tire Size Used: 225/40/18

Front:​

Brand: Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs
Height Above the Tire:
Front: 1"
Rear: 3/4"

Overall:​

Brand: TRD Lowering Springs
Drop: About 1" to 1 1/2"
Height Above the Tire:
Front: 1 3/4"
Rear: 1 3/4"

Front:

Rear:

Overall:​

Brand: K-Sport Lowering Springs
Height Above the Tire:
Front: 3/4"
Rear: 1"
Tire Size Used: 235/45/17

Rear:

Overall:

Brand: Megan Racing Coilovers
Drop: Varies
Height Above the Tire:
Front: Varies
Rear: Varies
Tire Size Used: 195/60/15

Front:

Rear:

For additional pics, please see the rest of the forum.

If you have a different brand on Springs and/or Coilovers that aren't posted above, please provide info on:

- Brand
- Drop
- Distance from Top of tire to fender (Front and Rear)
- Tire Size Used

For more talk about the subject on lowering your Corolla visit this thread!
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333694

Thanks to this Section:
-nate89
-Members who shared pictures with us!
-Post a comment w/ your name if you want to be added to this list

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Handling & Bars!​

Bars can definitely change the handling of a car tremendously! It's very flat in the turns like on & off ramps & a very different car from stock. Suspension also plays a big part in handling as well, changing our your stock springs, adding new coilovers can add to it!

Best Set-Up so far:

Your Choice of Springs
TRD RSB
TRD Front USB
UR 19mm RSB
UR Rear Upper Strut Brace
UR Lower Front 3-pt Chassis Brace
UR Lower Rear 2-pt Chassis Brace

Thanks to this Section:

-SuperchargedMR2
-nhoc_kun​

See less See more
#3 ·
So far TRD has not said much except that they will be coming out with springs, for the XRS we are thinking it will be around a 1.5 maybe 2 max lowering springs. I have found TRD to be very expensive and they never come out with enough parts. Well see if they pull up there socks and do something good for the 09's.
Cheers
(I work/family owns toyota dealerships in Calgary)

#8 ·
The XRS sits lower than the other models from the factory, that's all Matt was saying, so a set of springs that claim to lower the car by say 2 inches might only lower the XRS 1 inch, etc. The mounting, etc, is all the same.

Jeff

#26 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking Please Be Joking

#34 ·
K Sport Lowering Springs... 2" Drop

Just had my KSports installed... I was going to do it myself but the mechanic shop across from our body shop said he would slap them in for $80 and couldn't resist saving an afternoon of work when I could be working and making money.

Here is the drop fresh off the lift... Will take more pictures tomorrow when there is daylight.

Ride isn't as bad as I thought it would be. K Sport claims progressive spring rates too :thumbsup:. I found mixed reviews on their coilovers but couldn't find anything negative on their springs. Got them for $120 shipped off ebay and had an ebay bucks coupon for $24 too.

I will give a better review after I actually get to drive it some.

How long does it normally take springs to settle anyways?

PS The pinstripe will be gone tomorrow

#35 ·
Nice ride dude! But I was just wondering and a newbie question. Will the Manufacturers warranty be voided now that you lowered the car? I'm planning to do it also but I just got the corolla. Sorry for the question but it'll help me a lot. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.