Front Brakes "Click/Clunk" when in Reverse? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Suspension, Brakes and Wheel Forum Slam. Poke. Drop. Tuck. STOP. A forum to discuss 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix suspension, brakes and wheels even if you're rollin' OEM.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Front Brakes "Click/Clunk" when in Reverse?

I have a 2009 Corolla S and the symptoms are as follows:

1. Normal forward driving, brakes work fine (and as expected without sound).
2. In reverse, when I apply the brakes I hear a click (clunk) sound from the front brakes. It only makes the sound when I'm going from moving to stopping (IE: I cant just keep pressing the brake once stopped to generate the noise). But if I let myself continue in reverse and press pedal again, it will make the same sound (very repeatable). I don't need to go forward to replicate the sound, I can just stay in reverse, stop (CLICK), continue in reverse, stop (CLICK), etc.
3. The it's noticable in the pedal. I can feel it on the brake with my foot when the noise happens.
4. It happens when I depress the brake pedal about 1/4 down, a gentle stop. And usually happens every time when I back out of my driveway or parking spot.
5. GF's sister's 2009 corolla CE does NOT make this noise in reverse.

6. 20,000 miles, Orig tires/brakes, didn't happen 4ish months ago.

Any thoughts? I plan on putting winter tires on next month. Perhaps I'll take a look at the pads to make sure they aren't moving around, but wouldn't I also hear the noise in forward motion? Or when I switch from forward to reverse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2010, 01:13 PM
One with the force

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshannon53 View Post
I have a 2009 Corolla S and the symptoms are as follows:

1. Normal forward driving, brakes work fine (and as expected without sound).
2. In reverse, when I apply the brakes I hear a click (clunk) sound from the front brakes. It only makes the sound when I'm going from moving to stopping (IE: I cant just keep pressing the brake once stopped to generate the noise). But if I let myself continue in reverse and press pedal again, it will make the same sound (very repeatable). I don't need to go forward to replicate the sound, I can just stay in reverse, stop (CLICK), continue in reverse, stop (CLICK), etc.
3. The it's noticable in the pedal. I can feel it on the brake with my foot when the noise happens.
4. It happens when I depress the brake pedal about 1/4 down, a gentle stop. And usually happens every time when I back out of my driveway or parking spot.
5. GF's sister's 2009 corolla CE does NOT make this noise in reverse.

6. 20,000 miles, Orig tires/brakes, didn't happen 4ish months ago.

Any thoughts? I plan on putting winter tires on next month. Perhaps I'll take a look at the pads to make sure they aren't moving around, but wouldn't I also hear the noise in forward motion? Or when I switch from forward to reverse?
Are you sure is the front brakes? Coz in reverse, the rear drum will adjust itself and make the clicking sound.

1985 Corolla GTS (AE86)
2002 Mazda Protege 5 (Sold)
2009 Corolla S: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820536
#3 Old 10-18-2010, 01:18 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I am almost certain it's the front brakes. I will investigate today after work when I pull out of the parking spot... I'd put 80% certainty that it's from the front.

4:45pm I'll be able to give you more information. I'll have my co-worker stand outside while I reverse. If he's outside the vehicle he'll be able to tell me front/back more accurately (as I agree it's hard sometimes to pinpoint a sound).

Assuming it's not the back - any thoughts?
#4 Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Official TN Member

got the same problem my boy at toyota said it aint nothin bad
#5 Old 10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Senior TN Member

mine does it and is just normal The pads are just adjusting in their holders. The rears are self adjusting and mine have never made a sound other than the time I had to pull the E brake and it made that whining screeching noise like when the pads are worn but whatever

#6 Old 10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I had my co-worker check the sound. He said it was unmistably from the front of the car. I think what you guys are suggesting could be true, although it seems pretty loud for a tiny brake pad shifting in the caliper. But, like I said... when I get my winter tires I'll check to see if perhaps there was a spring-clip that broke or something not seating correctly.

Again, the symptoms are in reverse only, and continuously if I keep rolling back and braking. I don't alternate between forward/backward to get the sound.

It's a bit of a relief knowing others have this sound, but just to be sure... it's DEFINITELY from the front of the car.
#7 Old 10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
New TN User

Best to take the wheels off and check the caliper/s are not loose in there housing etc
Also if fitted check the anti-rattle clip is in place
#8 Old 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Official TN Member

Tried this last night when parking in the garage.. Sound does have a clunk from brakes everytime i put it in reverse.. First time i noticed this as i had windows open and music off.. Its very faint when you have the radio on.. It did this about 2 times going back and forth. But after a while I was getting tired and for some reason I couldnt replicate it anymore.. I'm sure this is common on all cars. FYI Brakes were literally just changed 5 days ago.. Also I'm not sure if this happend before the brake change as I usually have music faily loud... Well loud enough.

Last edited by Dragon-88; 10-19-2010 at 03:24 PM.
#9 Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 AM
New TN User

I brought this up with my Toyota dealer for my XRS and they checked it.

They said that both the front and rear brakes are spring loaded which pushes them to the rear of their holders for forward braking.

So basically, every time you reverse you are compressing the spring and every time you release the brake the spring "does it's job." So you will also find that releasing and pressing the brake while reversing will cause the sound repeatedly.

They, however, couldn't answer why that sound on the brakes is substantially louder than when i got the car.
#10 Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 PM
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)

Normal operation for disc brakes when changing direction Fwd/Bck.

#11 Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM
New TN User

Corolla clunks in reverse

This was caused by brake clips that were installed backward. My 2010 corolla would click when put into reverse. Replaced the front bake pads after 100K miles and found the driver side clips were on backward. Installed them correctly with new OEM pads and the problem went away!!

The clip keeps the brake pads from moving around in the caliper. I noticed the driver side and passenger side were attached different. It was an easy fix to solve an anoying problem.
#12 Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
hello, i actually have a 99 camry le i4 thats doing the same thing, just replaced the slider pins, boots and pretty much anything to the caliper brackets. i have es300 pads/rotors and caliper brackets with a 91 ls400 dual piston caliper. I did purchase a es300 fit kit with the 8 clips and the wishbone things. only problem is how are you supposed to know which clips go where facing which direction?

If you find my post helpful, please use the button
#13 Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Official TN Member

The pad shoulders have clips that are to hold the pad tight in the caliper, but when reversing any drag from friction will cause the pad to bang in other direction, like bang bang or click noise. You can grind the pad shoulders some to allow the pad to move more freely so it does not drag and bang.
#14 Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
the car is in the garage at the moment i won't know till tomorrow if i fixed it or not, (i hope i did ) :/

theres 4 of each of the two different types of clips. I don't know if the flat ones that are on the bottom of the pic are supposed to go on both sides of the top of the caliper bracket or at the bottom or what? same with the other two at the top not sure if they go on the bottom or the top (theres also a left and a right facing clip if you look at the backwards "P" shapes in the middle facing each other

If you find my post helpful, please use the button

Last edited by adalex; 01-08-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Suspension, Brakes and Wheel Forum