Toyota Nation Forum banner

A How To replace REAR SWAY BAR

46K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  buzel 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a write up for if you ever wanted to replace the rear sway bar but you feel like you don't know how to.

Difficulty level 1 (easy) - 5 (hard)
1 (easy)

read all instruction that was provided or look it on-line :D

please use proper tools as indicated or appropriate to the application.

you will need some kind of lift or jack with stands.

rubber mallet is optional if needed.

jack up the back of the car and secure it with stands.

remove bolt for each side as indicated. it is 10 mm.

move bracket out of the way to access the nut.

use a 22 mm wrench or socket to remove nut. if it is to tight use a pipe on the end of your wrench or socket to get better leverage.

remove OEM say bar, use pry bar if needed. replace with new sway bar. use pry bar or rubber mallet to align holes where arrows are indicated.

reverse the order and make sure to torque the nut on the sway bar as indicated.
good luck and be safe.

See less See more
#4 ·
It's been a while since I did mine but I only remember taking out the 2 large bolts & than replacing them after swapping bars. :chug:

#10 · (Edited)
Your post made me LOL. I've got my RSB ordered so I've been trying to get more familiar with the install myself. I read 180 ft-lbs and was like WTF?!? But if that's what they suggest/require then I guess that's what I'll do.

A bit off this particular thread topic . . . . I too am looking to buy a torque wrench for this and future projects. There's plenty that go above what's required for the RSB but they start getting more spendy. I've come across some "cheaper" ones but then I start thinking well if I'm going spend any money on one I'd prefer to get one that's going to last. I'd love to get a nice 1/2" drive Snap-On but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. I found a great deal on Craigslist for a Proto 1/2" TW but it only goes up to 150 ft-lbs. :facepalm: Let me know what you end up doing.

@ OP - Thank you very much for posting up all these great DIY threads!! I have yet to do this but after reading this thread I feel much more confident and capable of doing this with relative ease. :thumbsup:

#12 · (Edited)
I'm glad that this help.

that is an old snap on 1/2 torque wrench it goes up to 250 ft/pounds
to be honest just get you a cheap harbor freight one for 50 or so bucks. some places will let you rent tools for use.

i also torqued it to what TRD listed on the instruction

#13 ·
When I just installed my Eibach springs I had to remove the large RSB bolts to remove my UR RSB to remove the rear struts. I was able to easily put my 22mm wrench on the nut without removing the smaller 10mm bolt. It wasn't in the way at all for anyone that cares. :lol:

#16 ·
It is an easy install, but be prepared to summon the strength of your ansestors to remove those bolts. I had a Snap On electric impact the first time around, with no success, and broke my buddies craftsman breaker. Had to purchase a breaker bar and use a cheater along with it. Picked it up at Harborfreight for $10 on sale. Good luck.

#20 ·
I have a question, I discovered the TRD sway bar today, the one thing I didn't see in any of the comments though....... How's the handling!?!?! Does it handle better with it? Does it improve stability entering driveways or going over bumps sideways? This is the first car I've owned with i beam rear suspension, kinda sad considering the 8th gen had independent rear that handled a LOT better. Not sure about the 9th. But anyway, any feedback from OP or anyone else who has the TRD sway bar??

#22 ·
LeanBurn is right on but I'll take it a step farther! The TRD RSB is an excellent addition and the best choice for a first mod. If you want to keep increasing the smiles per turn ratio and improving the handling even more look for these additional suspension mods that are available for the 10th gen Corolla. This is the order I installed them on my Corolla and let me tell you, it handles fantastic!

1. TRD Rear Sway Bar
2. TRD Front strut brace
3. Ultra Racing front lower 3-point chassis brace
4. UR rear lower 2-point chassis brace
5. UR rear upper strut brace
6. UR 19mm rear sway bar. This mounts differently than the TRD and both can be used with amazing results.
7. UR lower side chassis braces

Obviously lowering springs and coilovers are an additional benefit too.

Happy modding!!

Reactions: Cuban Legend
#21 · (Edited)
I was skeptical myself, being a fuel economy guy I purchased the Corolla as my commuter. My car is mostly stock except for some items to increase fuel economy. But...

If you had to do any handling mod on this car, this one provides the most bang for the buck. Nothing really changes in the behavior of the car, down the driveway around the parking lot. Maybe some increased stability on the highway....it all feels quite the same but more planted....until you turn. Then the smiles begin...and the smiles remain even years later. >:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.