Cracked front bumper - How to fix? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Exterior Forum A forum for the discussion of 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix exterior maintenance and modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Rolla Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Cracked front bumper - How to fix?

Ok, so when I was pulling into a parking space I managed to hit a snow (or should I say ice) pack. My car wasn't even all the way into the space, but I still managed to hit it. Looking at the car today I noticed the part of the bumper below the lower grill (the very bottom of the bumper) has a crack straight through the center of the bumper. I kinda have it wedged back together but it still bothers me a lot considering the car is only a month old!

So now to the point... How much would it cost to get this fixed? Will I need to to replace the whole bumper or is there some sort of patch I should know of? And do you guys think if I buy a front lip kit that it would cover it up and hold the bumper together well enough? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Official TN Member

Craked bumper is not an issue since its not metal. But I recommend you going to a body shop and get it repainted. It should cost around $200-300 cad, if your in canada. You will not tell the difference after its been repainted.
#3 Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
like Jeff Lange said in the other thread, buying a new bumper will also have to be repainted and it would cost more than just having that cracked fixed and repainted by an auto body shop. but i suggest you scout first for a good auto body shop because not all body shops are "really" good in doing repairs. much more in assembling and disassembling body parts. you would want to get it right the first time you have it repaired or you will just regret it. scout for good auto body shops first.
#4 Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Rolla Rider

(Thread Starter)
Do you know if the toyota dealership would fix something like this?
#5 Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Saloon Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
The dealer would try to just sell you a new bumper which would need to be painted and installed. Id guess 4-500 bucks. We have a place here called colormelt that does really good plastic welding and could fix that for 150 bucks but you need to find someone good with bumpers as they are hard to fix well.

04' Spyder 1E7 w/lsd
05' Corolla
94' Corolla, 20v, C160 LSD - Sold
93' Corolla, 4afte, C56 -(v8 powered
spring 14')
Corners Quickly...
#6 Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Official TN Member

I did the same thing. I ordered a new bumper $230.00 USD + paint 200.00 USD at the same paint shop the Toyota dealer uses. The deductible on my insurance is 500.00 and they would up my rates even if it was a one dollar claim.
Darn cold that day -20 F. I hope this is not a "bad part" thing.
#7 Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Official TN Member

If it is just a V shaped crack, the cheapest thing you can do now is to get some sheet aluminum and epoxy it inside the bumper to hold thigs together so that the crack does not become wider. You alternatives are to have the existing bumper redone or to get a new one. I suspect painting will cost you $300 - 400 and getting a new bumper would add maybe $300 to the price.

If you do epoxy it yourself, use automotive epoxy that you can get at NAPA or Canadian Tire.

Last edited by Hamster Inspector; 02-03-2009 at 07:03 AM.
#8 Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Official TN Member

This is the 3rd person i know with the bumper cracking. Could it be a defect? fragile bumpers? i touched a snow bank at like 5 km/h, and my lower lip on the bumper split! So i have a nice cut in the middle, and it's being held together by the clipped in grill. It was also -20 when it happened
#9 Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
New TN User

Canada

The same thing happened to my wife. Broke the piece in two. I have the two pieces held together, where it broke, with black tape. $300 to have it repaired at the body shop. Don't know if they'll get to repair it or if I will in the spring. I guess this makes it the fourth one.

2009 Corolla
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3
#10 Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i think it is more of a fragile bumper. i also think i saw at canadian tire that they have this fiberglass resin and cloth that you could mix and match to repair the crack from the inside. hard part is removing the front or back bumper to have easy access while applying the mix of fiberglass resin and cloth. that kind of repair will surely make the cracked part stronger.
#11 Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Saloon Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
It seems the plastic/polyurethane toyota is using in the past few years becomes hard and very brittle at cold temps. I saw a Lexus RX get a shopping cart hit the bumper and a huge chunk of the bumper caved in as if it was glass. Same with our 8th gen, its bumper cracked easily too.

04' Spyder 1E7 w/lsd
05' Corolla
94' Corolla, 20v, C160 LSD - Sold
93' Corolla, 4afte, C56 -(v8 powered
spring 14')
Corners Quickly...
#12 Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Rolla Rider

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I really think the cause is the cold temps. That's pretty crappy of toyota to use a material like that. Toyota should fix this for those of us who've had this problem. For a brand new car that cost 15,000 or so I shouldn't have to shovel out another 300-500 to fix this. But I guess they could argue not to hit stuff, but come on. To a college student 500 is like half a years salary! I got better things to spend money on (like bill, car goodies, or girls)
#13 Old 02-05-2009, 11:21 PM
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)

^^
These are cosmetic bumpers. If you use them as a snow plough - they'll break. Not sure why anyone would think that Toyota should cover abuse to something cosmetic. Same as anyone else's bumpers - except maybe the chrome metal ones (they don't make those anymore - but nothing says get outta my way like one of those).

That's the joys of car ownership and the average $10k/year to keep and maintain. If you can't afford to keep it up (along with the odd mishap into a snowbank)...then I'd recommend a later model vehicle with some miles already on it (where the cracked bumpers are no biggy).

#14 Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Rolla Rider

(Thread Starter)
Ok so hopefully I can call around and get some estimates this week on repair cost. If it some outrageous price then I will attempt to repair it myself (plastic welding and painting) and possibly do a write up on it so everyone else who has this problem can fix their bumper instead of shelling out the big buck for someone else to do it for them. I'll let you know how it goes.
#15 Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 PM
New TN User

Same Thing...bugger

We just bought a 2009 Corolla and the exact same thing happened to us. Crack in the same location. I don't think iot's cosemtic damage as someone else has suggested - it seems more like a design flaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Exterior Forum