Anyone have HID's from Xenon Supply? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Exterior Forum A forum for the discussion of 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix exterior maintenance and modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Anyone have HID's from Xenon Supply?

I'm thinking about purchasing.
If you have them already Please let me know what you think of them.
Thanks.

http://www.xenonsupply.com/index.php...-info&Itemid=7

2010 Black S-Low&Fog 6K HID,led lighting/cup holders/ash tray/center con pockets,Trunk pop mod,Fog light mod,No seatbelt beep,Hood dampers,Chrome wheel skins,Side marker lights,WeatherTech,Auto mirror w/homelink,Frt & RR DVD's,rear camera,bluetooth,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Ask your Mother

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCorolla View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing.
If you have them already Please let me know what you think of them.
Thanks.

http://www.xenonsupply.com/index.php...-info&Itemid=7
If you go that route... go for the phillips upgrade package.
Remember the rule of thumb. You get what you pay for. Phillips Bulbs & Ballasts are top notch.

I have heard good things about them, but I do not have personal experience with them. A few buddies have gotten the phillips package and it looks good in 4,300K. Stock looking color, and really bright.

#3 Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I agree. I would do the upgrade. I do not think the premium kit with the upgraded ballasts are necesary though. The upgraded bulbs would be enough. (the bulb is what causes the ballast to last or fail anyway)

60% of right now! good prices!

The factory color has benefits but for my car I will go with the 6K. I like the super white look.

Still want to have someone tell me they have them, use them all the time and are happy with them though.
Your buddies have any complaint's? Any cycling or flickering from them?

2010 Black S-Low&Fog 6K HID,led lighting/cup holders/ash tray/center con pockets,Trunk pop mod,Fog light mod,No seatbelt beep,Hood dampers,Chrome wheel skins,Side marker lights,WeatherTech,Auto mirror w/homelink,Frt & RR DVD's,rear camera,bluetooth,

Last edited by FirstCorolla; 05-05-2010 at 09:35 PM.
#4 Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Pure concidence but a guy I work with has them in his car. (not corolla)
He has the phillips upgrade kit. They look awesome. He has had them for 3 years and doesn't even think about them anymore.... said they nevr have any trouble and work great everytime.

I called and talked to sales. He said the dif between the standard kit and the Phillips kit is very very slight. You really can't even tell a dif with the naked eye. The only thing is that the Phillips kit will have a perfectly tight beam and will not blind other drivers when installed in a reflector housing.

I ordered the Phillips kit for my low beams and fog's. $230 even including shipping. Not Bad!!

Last edited by FirstCorolla; 05-05-2010 at 12:44 PM.
#5 Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 PM
I have OCD

I've seen that site advertising 60% off for more than 2 months. I've started to think that 60% off is merely a gimmick, I mean I don't see $150 chinese kit anywhere. Non-Philips kit for $85 (with 5 yr warranty) is a bit too much considering DDM tunning kit is 45 bucks cheaper and comes with lifetime warranty.

Is it possible to use Philips HID bulbs with the DDM ballasts?

Last edited by corollale10; 05-05-2010 at 08:11 PM.
#6 Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 PM
The Corolla That Could

Quote:
Pure concidence but a guy I work with has them in his car. (not corolla)
He has the phillips upgrade kit. They look awesome. He has had them for 3 years and doesn't even think about them anymore.... said they nevr have any trouble and work great everytime.

I called and talked to sales. He said the dif between the standard kit and the Phillips kit is very very slight. You really can't even tell a dif with the naked eye. The only thing is that the Phillips kit will have a perfectly tight beam and will not blind other drivers when installed in a reflector housing.

I ordered the Phillips kit for my low beams and fog's. $230 even including shipping. Not Bad!!

I call BS. With any HID kit in a reflector housing you will increase the glare to other drivers on the road, no matter the kelvin temperature, or bulb type/brand.
#7 Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Official TN Member

i looked into these before i bought mine

not worth it imo. too overpriced for what you get. your paying for the name. you can get a lot better for cheaper

Current||2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5 6MT _____________________Retired||2010 Corolla S
#8 Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corollale10 View Post
I've seen that site advertising 60% off for more than 2 months. I've started to think that 60% off is merely a gimmick, I mean I don't see $150 chinese kit anywhere. Non-Philips kit for $85 (with 5 yr warranty) is a bit too much considering DDM tunning kit is 45 bucks cheaper and comes with lifetime warranty.
Is it possible to use Philips HID bulbs with the DDM ballasts?
You an I are not the only ones affected by the economy. Seen any other sites doing this same advertising thing? I sure have. Even if it is a full time "gimmick" so what... the "you pay" price is what counts in the end.
I have been modding cars for a lot of years and have seen a lot of these kits. I have used many for long periods of time. While I have not used DDM and can not honestly testify to the quality - I saw this kit on a coworkers car and I am positive that the quality is quite high. This sales guy I talked to today stood behind them to the point of giving me a written replacement warranty. If I ever have a problem with any part of the kit he will just send me a new one. He trusts his product! I own a business and you don't offer that unless you KNOW you will not need it. Is DDM a better deal? Maybe I can't say.... I can say with years of experience that cheaper is not always better. Am I very happy with what I purchased having seen the quality and getting the replacement warranty. You bet!
Don't forget I got the Phillips spec. (I have never seen a bulb the gets better accolades than that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunjimmy View Post
I call BS. With any HID kit in a reflector housing you will increase the glare to other drivers on the road, no matter the kelvin temperature, or bulb type/brand.
Be carefull making such broad statements. You may discover someday that you were not correct and wish you did not say such things. That being said... In this case I agree with you to a point. I'll agree that glare will increase. But my point of view is that the glare will not increase enough to be a problem. What I am saying is... When it is 65 degrees outside it is not a problem for anyone - when it is 75 degrees it may be a problem for a select few. Although the temp went up (or we can say the glare increased) it is still not to the point when anyone really cares. Know what I am saying. Now you may be one who is hard core against hid's I don't know. If that is the case I will never make my point understood with you, but please just understand that dif people have dif views of things and that is okay. I look at the hid issue of dramatically increasing my safety and the safety of my family. Also I can Honestly say I have never been blinded or annoyed or anything like that by other people's hid's, factory or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Scarface View Post
i looked into these before i bought mine

not worth it imo. too overpriced for what you get. your paying for the name. you can get a lot better for cheaper
Thanks for your opinion. no need to repeat all that I already said about the cost of them. I'll just add... True cost of owning something is not what you pay up front. It is also quality, lengh of time it lasts problem free, and ease of replacement. I think I got a good value. I am happy that is what counts right. I think this is a great middle of the road kit. Not near the price of Hoen but not near the garbage of well I shouldn't name names... but I have had some bad ones.
If you want to ... let me know what you think is a lot better for cheaper. I will tell you if I have tried it and my honest opinion if you want it.

To all: I am NOT saying that what I got is def the absolute best thing I could have done. There is always a better deal out there than what you just did. We all know that. All I am saying is that I think I did good and I am happy. When I started this thread I wasn't looking to compare deals with anyone.... I just wanted to know if anyone had these and what they thought of them.
Thanks

Last edited by FirstCorolla; 05-05-2010 at 09:47 PM.
#9 Old 05-05-2010, 10:22 PM
New TN User

USA

Quote:

Be carefull making such broad statements. You may discover someday that you were not correct and wish you did not say such things. That being said... In this case I agree with you to a point. I'll agree that glare will increase. But my point of view is that the glare will not increase enough to be a problem. What I am saying is... When it is 65 degrees outside it is not a problem for anyone - when it is 75 degrees it may be a problem for a select few. Although the temp went up (or we can say the glare increased) it is still not to the point when anyone really cares. Know what I am saying. Now you may be one who is hard core against hid's I don't know. If that is the case I will never make my point understood with you, but please just understand that dif people have dif views of things and that is okay. I look at the hid issue of dramatically increasing my safety and the safety of my family. Also I can Honestly say I have never been blinded or annoyed or anything like that by other people's hid's, factory or otherwise.

Your safety and that of your family depends upon 2 factors, first being how well you can see the road and the second being how well other around you can see the road (not only do you have to avoid running into them, but they need to avoid running into you as well). Numerous studies (including those done at the behest of the federal agencies and various private parties) have shown an dramatic increase in glare with HID's in non HID housings thus reducing the visibility for others on the road. By using HID in a non HID housing you are risking the lives of those around you in addition to yours and the occupants of your car. I have used HIDs with glare gaurds in non HID housings, so I am not preaching like a saint, but rather as a sinner, as a matter of fact, I am not preaching at all. If you chose to blind others around you and live under false satisfaction that you are safer because of that, then that is entirely your choice, this is a free country after all. I am just stating the facts and correcting you, this is not a matter of who likes it better at 65 degrees and who like 75 degrees better, this is not a matter of opinion or taste but a matter of fact. The federal government says so, international bodies say so, private companies say so and the vast majaority of people would agree that the increased glare is not only irritating but also blinding to a certain degree.

Congratualtions on your purchase and I hope you enjoy them, I just wanted to correct you that the increased glare is not an opinon but a fact, a simple BING search WILL prove that.

/edit
excuse the typos...i think i need to learn how to type again

Last edited by Mantikos; 05-05-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typos
#10 Old 05-05-2010, 11:15 PM
The Corolla That Could

Quote:
I do understand that other people are entitled to different views. What i dont understand is HID's in halogen reflector housings are so much safer, then why arent more OEM manufacturers selling thier vehicles with them?

I am defiently not one who is against HID's. HID Projector headlights are a definite improvment over alot of halogen headlights. I'd just rather see HID's done in a way where it increases safety for ALL people on the road.
#11 Old 05-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Ask your Mother

Garage
since this has turned into a HID Debate... and will be closed soon by lurking MODs

Just some food for thought...

Next time you are driving at night and see someone with a Proper HID (Projector) set up from an OEM install (Audi, Benz, Lexus, GTI, Passat CC, Ford Flex etc...) and tell me those don't glare. EVERY type of HID light will Glare no matter how the beam is distributed (projector/reflector).

You will see that the Xenon light beam will create glare no matter how nice the Cutoff looks on a wall. the on coming traffic will be dazed no matter what. It may not be as severe as a Halogen Housing HID Conversion kit, but there is still glare that dazes drivers.

I get dazed by Luxury cars with HIDs ALL THE TIME.

**note** this is just a generic statement for people to think about, not to stir up some endless debate.

#12 Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah guys we need to wrap this up or it will be closed. I will respond in short here since some good points were raised but then let's try to agee to let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantikos View Post

Your safety and that of your family depends upon 2 factors, first being how well you can see the road and the second being how well other around you can see the road (not only do you have to avoid running into them, but they need to avoid running into you as well). Numerous studies (including those done at the behest of the federal agencies and various private parties) have shown an dramatic increase in glare with HID's in non HID housings thus reducing the visibility for others on the road. By using HID in a non HID housing you are risking the lives of those around you in addition to yours and the occupants of your car. I have used HIDs with glare gaurds in non HID housings, so I am not preaching like a saint, but rather as a sinner, as a matter of fact, I am not preaching at all. If you chose to blind others around you and live under false satisfaction that you are safer because of that, then that is entirely your choice, this is a free country after all. I am just stating the facts and correcting you, this is not a matter of who likes it better at 65 degrees and who like 75 degrees better, this is not a matter of opinion or taste but a matter of fact. The federal government says so, international bodies say so, private companies say so and the vast majaority of people would agree that the increased glare is not only irritating but also blinding to a certain degree.

Congratualtions on your purchase and I hope you enjoy them, I just wanted to correct you that the increased glare is not an opinon but a fact, a simple BING search WILL prove that.

/edit
excuse the typos...i think i need to learn how to type again
You raise some good points here. I can't argue with you. I'mnot telling you I will return my hid's but how about this. I will tell you... You have my word that I will do a serious investigation into this after I instal them. I will look into it myself, have a friend help by driving my car, do evrything I can think of. Honestly. My kids are Wayyyyy more important to me than having hid's. (Duh right) I promise you I will give it it's due dilligence. Far enough?

Quote:
I do understand that other people are entitled to different views. What i dont understand is HID's in halogen reflector housings are so much safer, then why arent more OEM manufacturers selling thier vehicles with them?

I am defiently not one who is against HID's. HID Projector headlights are a definite improvment over alot of halogen headlights. I'd just rather see HID's done in a way where it increases safety for ALL people on the road.
Glad to hear you ar open minded. I TRY to be as well. As you can see from me not defending myself uselessly against a valid point raised like the one above. I'm not sure about the answer to your queston. One factor could possibly be that they are more expensive to manufacture and not every consumer wants them? I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnaever View Post
since this has turned into a HID Debate... and will be closed soon by lurking MODs

Just some food for thought...

Next time you are driving at night and see someone with a Proper HID (Projector) set up from an OEM install (Audi, Benz, Lexus, GTI, Passat CC, Ford Flex etc...) and tell me those don't glare. EVERY type of HID light will Glare no matter how the beam is distributed (projector/reflector).

You will see that the Xenon light beam will create glare no matter how nice the Cutoff looks on a wall. the on coming traffic will be dazed no matter what. It may not be as severe as a Halogen Housing HID Conversion kit, but there is still glare that dazes drivers.

I get dazed by Luxury cars with HIDs ALL THE TIME.

**note** this is just a generic statement for people to think about, not to stir up some endless debate.
Well My first thought is that I just don't agree with you. (sorry) but I have no right to say that someone else (you) does or doesn't get blinded by the lights. I never have. You do. Different people....
I purchased my Corolla to keep miles off my other cars and for higher mpg (traded a prius which I hated)as I drive over 100 miles a day. Both my other cars have factory HID's. (Audi S4 BMW X5) most of the circle of my friends and family all have hids in their high end cars. What I am saying is that I see the lights all the time. I dissagree with your statement that they all will create a glare. My X5 creates a ton of glare. My S4 creates no glare ever. That's just an honest fact. It's okay though that we dissagree on this right? I have no doubt that if we talked we would have a lot in common. We both love cars right?

I think I am going to try to be done with this thread... I really don't want to create any "enemies" here. I hope I did not offend anyone. I hope all is cool.

Last edited by FirstCorolla; 05-06-2010 at 11:27 AM.
#13 Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Ask your Mother

Garage
Quote:
Well My first thought is that I just don't agree with you. (sorry) but I have no right to say that someone else (you) does or doesn't get blinded by the lights. I never have. You do. Different people....
I purchased my Corolla to keep miles off my other cars and for higher mpg (traded a prius which I hated)as I drive over 100 miles a day. Both my other cars have factory HID's. (Audi S4 BMW X5) most of the circle of my friends and family all have hids in their high end cars. What I am saying is that I see the lights all the time. I dissagree with your statement that they all will create a glare. My X5 creates a ton of glare. My S4 creates no glare ever. That's just an honest fact. It's okay though that we dissagree on this right? I have no doubt that if we talked we would have a lot in common. We both love cars right?

I think I am going to try to be done with this thread... I really don't want to create any "enemies" here. I hope I did not offend anyone. I hope all is cool.
You are correct, Everyone has different sensitivity to light. What I consider glare is different to what another considers glare. Also the human eye can't handle the higher color temps like it can a 3000k - 4300k.

Either way, it is personal preference to how much they are "blinded" by HIDs.

I fully support HIDs and love their light output, so get what you want on your car...

As for the OP: I already stated go Phillips, they are good.

#14 Old 05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
FMVSS 108 FTW

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
You're correct, when referring to reflector housings designed for filament bulbs (which these kits were "designed for").

Here comes the science:

http://dastern.torque.net/Photometry/filamentarc.jpg (link to the picture pasted so as not to hotlink).

An HID capsule produces an arc, which by definition is curved. A reflector designed for a filament lamp expects a straight filament, not a curved arc. Additionally, the arc has very uneven light distribution, with some segments of the arc (at the electrode tips) having luminance of over 10000cd/cm2 (while a filament is pretty much evenly lit, with a luminance of 2000cd/cm2 across most of the filament, and dimming to 500cd/cm2 at the ends of the filament.

If you don't see how the curve changes the light pattern drastically, you can at least see how the changes in luminance and the location of those changes can drastically change the light pattern.
#15 Old 05-06-2010, 04:08 PM
New TN User

Sorry, just a quick question. i was about to buy a kit for my Corolla. Which kit did you buy? The $110 with Philips bulb or the $160 one. I am leaning towards the $110. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Exterior Forum