Toyota Nation Forum banner

Adding Corolla S features into 2013 Corolla L

11K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  SuperchargedMR2 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I JUST got a 2013 Corolla Base (L?) last saturday!

This thread is in the same vein at this one: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...189914-turning-my-corolla-2010-le-into-s.html

so to quote DollaJay:
I bought my Corolla in a rush. I had no choice and I didn't do my homework before buying it. Had I did that, I would have purchased an S, but I don't care. I'm happy now!....I just have to work and pay off these debts hehehe! :grin:
I'm in the same boat, needed an affordable car and didnt do my research as thoroughly as I should have but I'd be happy with a FEW interior additions for comfort.

BUT, I found a crashed S that is going for parts nearby, I want to add its steering wheel controls, Touchscreen, USBAUX port and bluetooth to my base L.

The guy is going to have the parts out of the car for me to pickup tomorrow, anything i should look for that I should NOT FORGET to take with me, to make sure everything works when I go to swap out the center panels, radio and steering wheel? I know about the Corolla S clockspring, this S has the left steering wheel controls for music but doesnt have the bluetooth set on the right, can i add it in later if i buy the part? What about any wiring that I NEED to have along with the 6-inch touchscreen display. I KNOW to make sure the USB/AUX cable is intact.

This S even has cruise control, can I transplant that into my L? I do ALOT of highway driving

I'll be snagging the steering wheel, touchscreen, and lower USB/AUX center panel and any related wiring for under $300 btw. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

So good/bad news: Good: I got a lot more from the steering wheel of the S than just the controls. Bad news, the guy had already sold the wiring harness and couldn't give me any of the main wiring.

If anyone sees anything I'm missing that I'll need PLEASE let me know, the donor car is only a 10-minute drive away and the guy was cool with me coming back if i needed more little things. (except for anything from the main wiring harness)

Here's what I got so far,

1. 2013 Corolla S steering wheel...:

... ALL OF IT xD

with cruise control wired up, clockspring and all the steering wheel control wiring:

the lightcontrols even has room for what I THINK is fog lights (yay, future upgrade maybe?)

And the 6in touchscreen with the USB/AUX port (no cabling though). with my interior panel pry tool kit pictured, (10mm ratchet, extension and a magnet tool not pictured):

#3 ·
UPDATE:

So good/bad news: Good: I got a lot more from the steering wheel of the S than just the controls. Bad news, the guy had already sold the wiring harness and couldn't give me any of the main wiring.

If anyone sees anything I'm missing that I'll need PLEASE let me know, the donor car is only a 10-minute drive away and the guy was cool with me coming back if i needed more little things. (except for anything from the main wiring harness)

Here's what I got so far,

1. 2013 Corolla S steering wheel...:

... ALL OF IT xD

with cruise control wired up, clockspring and all the steering wheel control wiring:

the lightcontrols even has room for what I THINK is fog lights (yay, future upgrade maybe?)

And the 6in touchscreen with the USB/AUX port (no cabling though). with my interior panel pry tool kit pictured, (10mm bolt, extension and a magnet tool not pictured):
Your pictures aren't working. Read this thread on how to post pics: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/5-introduce-yourself-here/207706-how-post-pictures.html

#5 ·
Is the steering wheel leather wrapped? My 09 Corolla S is but I've seen later S years that weren't. I love mine a lot more than the rubber like feel of some years. I would have told you to install a better aftermarket head unit. It will look better and sound much better than stock. My aftermarket 2nd gen Rosen looks more OEM than the OEM one you bought, and it's a 7" screen!! :lol:

Reactions: Cuban Legend
#6 ·
Thank you for the recommendation, that HU looks very nice, and it does have that OEM look you mentioned. What model is it so I may look it up please?

But for right now I'm just trying to keep the stock equipment in the car since again, I was low on money and I ended up snagging all this Corolla S stuff for under $300 when normally all these parts can cost way more.

Basically I'm going to make due with what I have until a few months down the line when I see how much real money I can spend on a legit Aftermarket HU that will integrate into the steering wheel controls (that I've yet to install), the USB/AUX port and the future backup camera.

-Regarding the USB/AUX, I've ready about part number "USB Interface Kit (PT233-47100)" seen here, I'm assuming this is what I need to get the new USB/AUX to work. I've read that even the 2010 Prius uses this too?

-Regarding the NO SOUND issue I now have with the Display Audio, I'm stumped on this one. Can anyone ID the ports that are left on the Display Audio or the wiring I took pictures of that was leftover from the stock radio and recommend the proper wiring harness adapter?

#9 ·
Well, possibly bad news on getting steering wheel controls on my Base/L.

Went to the dealership's service department, spoke with the head Service guy, he even came out and looked at my wheel and the S wheel and told me that it's quite possible that even if I get my current steering wheel off, the new S wheel might have different wiring and won't work unless I have an S wiring harness which will be WAY over my budget and not an option for me. He also mentioned there's a chance that even if the S's wiring matches Base/L wiring harness, that the wheel itself might be a different fit than the Base wheel and won't fit correctly or be able to be installed properly.

I mean ALL I want regarding the interior is steering wheel controls (cruise control was an added bonus), has anyone ever accomplished this? What are my options aside from getting the OEM steering wheel controls?

Also, is there any way to tell if my car is an L or a CE? I know the CE doesnt come with power windows and locks, but mine has all that, but my L has the plastic steering wheel, could my car really be a CE with power windows/power locks or an L with a CE steering wheel?

#10 ·
Sorry about the steering wheel issue if you add the electric components need it to interact is going to be a lot of money, regarding your car it has to be an L, the CE was the model for the 9 gen, the midface changes on the Corolla replace the Base model for the L version, the other versions still the same LE and S there was an XLE but they didn't offered for the 10 gen in the US, unless if you requested special order from the dealer, assembled in Japan.

#14 ·
Hello Cuban Legend! Welcome to TN!

I did only a few of my mods (not the electrical ones). I'm just a lady learning how to do these things. It's so much fun but can get frustrating waiting for parts in the mail or for parts to arrive at Toyota to pick up.

You're just like me. I wanted the steering controls and head-unit more than anything else. I went to EVERY Toyota in my area and NOBOBY wanted to take on the job. To remove the airbag is extremely risky. It can deploy at any time....but I'm sure you already know that. If you want it done and are willing to pay the money, I got it done in Freeport, NY (Long Island). I forget the actual price as I had them do multiple things at one (steering controls, seat heaters and HU). I believe the steering controls alone was in the ball park of $350. Fastward 3 months later, the "mode" button which switches the HU from CD-->radio-->bluetooth, works when it wants to, and recently the bluetooth buttons to hang up or pick up work when they want to also, so I'm having problems with that. I have to go back to them. All the other buttons (volume, and toggle) work fine.

Anyways, if you're in or near the NY area, the place is called "Avenue Sounds" in Freeport, NY. Just speak to a guy named Vic. They are all nice guys, and they take good care of their costumers. Maybe he can give you some advice over the phone. The number is (516)546-3343. Then hit number 2 to talk to someone.

Corollas in the years of 2011-13 have two different steering wheels. Some of the S's have the wide-shaped steering wheels, therefore that airbag would not fit on your steering wheel. Here is the link to steering controls that would fit in your wheel: http://www.amazon.com/Steering-Cont...8-3&keywords=toyota+corolla+steering+controls

Here's a great step-by-step on how to add steering controls by a another TN member:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...dd-ce-le-2010-corolla-updated-8-3-2011-a.html

Hope this helps!

#16 ·
So good news, yesterday I got the rest of my wire harnesses pictured below from left to right: the 2010 Prius USB addon kit (I only used the long grey USB/AUX wire in order to enable the USB/AUX port to work, the 28 to 20+8 pin adapter, the USB adapter, the adapter for the Antenna amplifier reroute, and I got the OEM Toyota Mic for bluetooth!

Part numbers are displayed in the picture below, but the audio wire harness individual part numbers are:
Conversion Cable : Antenna PT546-00120-AD
Conversion Cable : 20pin + 8pin to 28pin PT546-00120-CH
Conversion Cable : USB PT546-00120-US

So in order to get the USB addon kit's grey cable to work with the USB adapter harness I had to strip the plastic cover on the brown end (gently lift the white tab and pull the plastic off) and it hooked in directly into the black port of the short USB adapter, then the small grey port of the USB adapter goes into the back of the Display Audio. I route the other end of the long grey cable down to the USB/AUX panel where the white harness is for the AUX reroute and the black port goes into the USB/AUX panel.

To get the bluetooth and aux working, I plug in the 20-pin into the 20+8 pin adapter, the mic goes into the 8-pin end. Then the 28 pin end goes into the back of the display Audio.

And once its all hooked up I tested the USB with a flash drive (formatted to FAT32), and i tested the AUX from my iphone. All options in the Display audio were lit up and WORKED as seen below! :D

I tested the bluetooth mic and it seemed to work just fine, I mounted it on the top of the stationary back side of the steering wheel plastic cover:

So far, a great success! :D

Future project: a Backup camera kit that will work with the display audio. I'll post more once I get that kit.

Future, future project: steering wheel controls

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.