2009 Corolla Air Filter Replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Interior and Audio Forum

10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Interior and Audio Forum A forum to discuss 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix interior and audio maintenance and modifications.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Weaseal's Photo Gallery
2009 Corolla Air Filter Replacement

Where does one find the air filter in an '09 corolla? I bought a replacement filter from Autozone per their parts book and it does not fit the filter behind the glove box, so I'm thinking it's for the external intake. Does anyone know where to find this? I can't find useful information in the user's manual...
Weaseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
2010 Corolla S

Gameroom cash: $302808
View TFCommanderBob's Photo Gallery
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=2714

A quick search across the forum will yield multiple thread hits... If you type "cabin air filter" into the search you'll be able to locate a thread with Jeff Lange(sp?) stating the precise model numbers as well.

There. I've given you both a fish and a fishing pole. Perhaps some bait as well
TFCommanderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFCommanderBob View Post
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=2714

A quick search across the forum will yield multiple thread hits... If you type "cabin air filter" into the search you'll be able to locate a thread with Jeff Lange(sp?) stating the precise model numbers as well.

There. I've given you both a fish and a fishing pole. Perhaps some bait as well
Thanks for the quick response but I wasn't asking for a parts list. I'm asking for a location in the vehicle. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
uh..no, it's not a hybrid

Gameroom cash: $881969
View LeanBurn's Photo Gallery
Canada

There are 2 filters. One in the engine bay, the engine air filter...biggest black box right next next to the valve cover. There is also one behind the glove box, the Cabin air filter. 2 very different filters. Not sure if you need further info, or if this is what you were after....

'09 Corolla CE Enhanced Auto
TRD Springs/Sway/Xrs FSB by Yamaha
Lifetime : 6.111L/100km(38.761mpgUS)
Maximum: 5.082L/100km(46.287mpgUS)

(manually calculated)
(original unflashed factory ECM code)

Last edited by LeanBurn; 03-11-2010 at 12:00 PM.
LeanBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
2010 Corolla S

Hah, indeed I'm still confused as to what you are asking. The location of the engine's air filter? Its under the the big black box with hoses coming off it in the engine compartment. Pop the clips and you can lift up the lid.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
It needsa muffler bearing

Gameroom cash: $127577
View ej063090's Photo Gallery
2010 Corolla S Black-Auto-Fujita SRI-Debadged -Mobil 0W-20 Oil-Nokya Yellow Fogs-All led swap-TRD FSB-TRD Lowering Springs-DDM 6k HID-Shift boot/CF Shift Knob-20/35 Tints-Tenzo r Cuzco Wheels-SmokeTail Lights
On the way: Borla exhaust-DC Sports Headers
ej063090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diehard Rams Fan

Gameroom cash: $1894016
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
View SuperchargedMR2's Photo Gallery
I second that!

I very confused on what the op is asking for. The engine air filter is obvious or so I thought. The cabin air filter is behind the glove box. I believe the manual will show the location for each filter.

SuperchargedMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
One with the force

Gameroom cash: $366887
View thestone11's Photo Gallery
simplest solution: take your car back to the dealership and pay them to replace it for you. Or get the parts from the dealer and do it yourself.

Both of the filters could be found in basically any big auto store too.

The one in the engine bay is the air filter for the engine. The one behind the glove box is the cabin filter.
thestone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View pwain's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
I believe the manual will show the location for each filter.
Oddly enough, it only shows the location of the cabin air filter. I searched the owners manual and couldn't find a single diagram stating the spot for the air filter. Its a conspiracy.

Last edited by pwain; 03-12-2010 at 10:49 AM.
pwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $209975
View FlameyFart's Photo Gallery
Why are people getting on his butt?

He said he bought an air filter -> it does not fit in the slot behind glove compartment -> he thinks its for the intake -> where is the location?

Is that not clear enough?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
2010 Corolla S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameyFart View Post

He said he bought an air filter -> it does not fit in the slot behind glove compartment -> he thinks its for the intake -> where is the location?

Disclaimer: None of this post is meant to belittle anyone or be a personal attack upon anyone. I'm explaining my logic for giggles, even if it only amuses me.

I don't think we are being rude, "getting on his butt". We are simply stating it was an unclear line of thought. I think your perception of clarity comes from having the whole thread to interpret from, rather than just the first post. Here are my lengthy perceptions:

OP read to me as:

I bought an air filter-> it didn't fit where I tried it-> where can I buy the one that goes where I tried to fit it.

I made the (incorrect) assumption that he was trying to replace the cabin filter and that "where to find this" was a plea for a vendor of the cabin filter. My assumption came from the thought that if I buy something that isn't what I thought it would be, I return it and try to get what I needed. If he is trying to stick it in the cabin filter slot, he must need a cabin filter.

The only qualifier for location (vendor vs car) is the word "in" in "find the air filter in an '09 corolla" which (to me) still isn't clear. I feel in that situation "in" is used interchangeably with "for." Given the order of the information, you don't yet know which filter he is talking about, or even that there could be two. His second question uses "this" thereby forcing you to infer the intended filter from the previous sentence. So if you had guessed "vendor" when you read the first sentence, you'd infer "cabin" when you read the third, or "car" -> "intake".

A clear question, using only the information given in the first post, might read:

"How do I install the external intake filter?"

Because:
He decided that the filter he bought was for the "external intake," and that he'd like to use it anyway, but didn't know how to install it.

But I digress...

If you decide I put too much thought into this post, read this article. It is more geared toward a project style forum, but it has some application to a lot of the threads posted around here
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Last edited by TFCommanderBob; 03-12-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $209975
View FlameyFart's Photo Gallery
Haahaha. Touché!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Diehard Rams Fan

Gameroom cash: $1894016
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
View SuperchargedMR2's Photo Gallery
As I already stated, I thought the engine air filter was obvious where it goes. I would guess that anyone that would buy an air filter to replace themselves would know where the air filter was housed. When looking under the hood, there is really only one place where it could be ........ and that's where it is!

SuperchargedMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameyFart View Post

Lol, this post generated way too much discussion. Flamey got it right, sorry if I was unclear. Yes, I bought the wrong filter (meant to get cabin air, instead got engine intake) but my question was, since I've got this engine intake filter, where do it go? And as someone else stated, it is completely lacking from the manual. Toyota manuals tend to be pretty terrible compared to other brands.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View bazzle91's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaseal View Post
Lol, this post generated way too much discussion. Flamey got it right, sorry if I was unclear. Yes, I bought the wrong filter (meant to get cabin air, instead got engine intake) but my question was, since I've got this engine intake filter, where do it go? And as someone else stated, it is completely lacking from the manual. Toyota manuals tend to be pretty terrible compared to other brands.
It's really easy, just look at the box and there's metal clips holding the top and bottom portions together at a halfway mark between the two pieces. unclip, take out the filter (pay attention to what position it was in before you take it out), and put the new one in according to how the old one was sitting. My best advice = dont' change your filter until you really need to. Why waste the one you already have in there? Make use of it. Unless you bought a TRD high flow or some form of an intake I wouldn't bother to change a slightly used paper intake filter to a newer one of the same class.

2009 Corolla S BSP A/T 4-Spd
-TRD filter w/ Intake Mod/2" Magnaflow Exhaust
-2500k Nokya Yellow Fogs w/ 35w 5000k HID low beams
bazzle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Interior and Audio Forum