2010 Corolla Radio Reception Problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Interior and Audio Forum A forum to discuss 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix interior and audio maintenance and modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 2010 Corolla Radio Reception Problem

My 2010 Corolla S has what I believe to be poor radio reception. I noticed this from the time I bought the vehicle. My 2001 Dodge Ram has way better radio reception than my Corolla. Side by side, my truck gets clear and excellent reception, where the Corolla does not. The reception is weak with static. Has anyone had this problem? I want to find out if this is typical before I go to the dealership for a check out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Pie
Official TN Member

I actually had decent reception on my radio...until today. The reception was so bad today I just shut the radio off. Could weather be a factor? It wasn't too bad today in Bay Area, just some light rain.
#3 Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Senior TN Member

Garage
I haven't had a problem with my radio unless i was around electrostatic/electromagnetic fields. (like power cables for buses and trains)

#4 Old 05-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Thanked 1,025 Times in 914 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner1 View Post
My 2010 Corolla S has what I believe to be poor radio reception. I noticed this from the time I bought the vehicle. My 2001 Dodge Ram has way better radio reception than my Corolla. Side by side, my truck gets clear and excellent reception, where the Corolla does not. The reception is weak with static. Has anyone had this problem? I want to find out if this is typical before I go to the dealership for a check out.
You listen to the radio????

All kidding aside, I've had no issues with my reception.

89 Supercharged White MR2 MT/09 Corolla S CSM MT/08 Yaris HB MT
94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/
07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

#5 Old 05-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Full Throttle

Garage
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Sounds a bit like the reception in my 7th Gen Corolla. Sometimes it's great, but a lot of the time it's crap. The joys of having the antenna embedded into the glass.... Fortunately I'm not a very avid radio listener so it doesn't bother me.

Seems that a few other people have been experiencing the same sort of issues as you with their Corollas:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t287499.html

^^Click above to view my Driiive page ^^
#6 Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I'm wondering if it has to do with the small "Bump" antenna on the roof. I live in an area where the reception is marginal in some areas. But, I can park my truck next to the Corolla and the truck get's perfect reception where the Corolla is not good. I think I will give the dealer a call.
#7 Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Does the radio use the bump on the roof for an antenna, or is the antenna in the windshield????
#8 Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Does the radio use the bump on the roof for an antenna, or is the antenna in the windshield????
Radio antenna is the top 2-3 lines in the rear windsheld. The shark fin bump is for satellite radio.

LE, Smart Key, Limousine tint, Back-up camera and sensor. M.I.C. 7" DVD.
#9 Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
That explains it. I never liked that kind of antenna. Never seemed to be as good as an old fashioned antenna. Modern technology. If it ain't broke, why screw with it!
#10 Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
That explains it. I never liked that kind of antenna. Never seemed to be as good as an old fashioned antenna. Modern technology. If it ain't broke, why screw with it!
I would agree with you.
My old 95 Villager has an old fashioned (like a rod) antenna. It has much better radio reception (especially AM) than my new 2010 Corolla CE.
#11 Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Ask your Mother

Garage
Quote:
I believe the purpose was aesthetics. The car is much sleeker with the rear window antenna. Besides the market is leaning towards MP3s and Sat-Radio as opposed to AM/FM.

I don't have bad reception, but even if I did, I would take that over a goofy antenna sticking out of the roof or something.

#12 Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Official TN Member

Canada

The most efficient antenna for the FM band would be around 5 feet long (1/2 wave length). As you reduce the length, you reduce it's efficiency (therefore the need for signal amplifiers). This is the price you pay for looks.
#13 Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnaever View Post
I believe the purpose was aesthetics. The car is much sleeker with the rear window antenna. Besides the market is leaning towards MP3s and Sat-Radio as opposed to AM/FM.

I don't have bad reception, but even if I did, I would take that over a goofy antenna sticking out of the roof or something.

I've seen the roof mounted antennas on the BMW's and other high end vehicles. They are short, sleek and look great. My Suzuki SX4 had that type of antenna and the reception was by far and away better than my Corolla.
#14 Old 05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Senior TN Member

the antenna is not the problem with the 10th gen corollas. the factory radio is the problem.
#15 Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Senior TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylgarcia View Post
the antenna is not the problem with the 10th gen corollas. the factory radio is the problem.
+1. should i create another thread for this ? my radio just died. how u ask ? i dropped it in for service yesterday afternoon, radio was working fine. it was regular maintainance, oil change and TSB on that bad odor from vents (they apparantly had to change the evaparator or something). they basically needed it for all day yesterday and today. got a call saying car's ready. on my way there got another call saying "did i know my radio was not working??" i said, it was working just fine when i left it. Dont know what happened, what they did, but i DO know they took everything apart for doing whatever they had to because all my Radar detector wires were not the same way i had hardwired them. long story short they have ordered me a new one and will replace it under warranty...ofcourse....my next worry is to remove the CF trim i have on the current unit. I can hear the CD player engage when i power on, but no lights, no sound and no other response from it.

am I dissatisfied ? Yes, I am. This is the second time that during a routine maintainance something has gone wrong with my car and has cost me time and gas commuting to and from that dealership. DID THEY kill my radio ? I do not know. what i do know is that I am getting off their free oil change program (give me free oil change but charge me $100 for compulsory maintainance) and never going back to that dealership once my radio has been replaced. For those living in edmonton, its Mayfield Toyota. I seriously doubt the tech's working there.

sorry to hijack your thread buddy. If you must know, my radio never gave me any reception issues or any other issues in the 43K. So if you have issues with it, just get it replaced

2009 Xrs: Totalled.
2011 Mazdaspeed3: Bolted/Tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) > 10th Gen Corolla/2nd Gen Matrix Interior and Audio Forum