Toyota Nation Forum banner

Installed running boards!!!

15K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  fisiksman 
#1 ·
I finally installed my running boards yesterday. They are SteelCraft Running boards and i love the way they look on my HL, Couldnt be any more happier. The installation only took me about 2 hours top and thats with double checking every thing! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Toyota Sport utility vehicle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#10 ·
After reading this thread, I go ahead and buy the same set SteelCraft SXT100 Series from carID.

I got mine installed this past weekend. Looks pretty good and I like it very much. The only problem I got was that it suppose to come with 16 10mm hex nuts but 6 was missing. So I have to run to autozone to find the missing nuts.

Over all the running board looks good and matches my car.

Reactions: husky55
#19 · (Edited)
I have the SXT 100 Series Installation instruction scanned, if you want I can sent it to you.

P.S. I just review the 200 series instructions "sarcoptic" linked, it's almost same and even more clear (The rubber plug to remove for 2014 highlander is 7th and 8th for the 3rd bracket).

Reactions: husky55
#22 ·
You're welcome.

I attached the Steelcraft SXT 100 series installation instruction for HL 2014 for anyone may want it since it's not available online.

Attachments

#23 ·
I am really torn, on the one hand I take great satisfaction of doing my own stuffs, on the other hand I wonder if I have what it takes to do this job. I am an electronics engineer so my mechanical skills are very rudimentary. I hate going to some gas station and have some unskilled person butcher my HL. May be I will ask some body shop if they would want to do this. Or I can do it myself.

#24 ·
I'm an IT guy, but I do like to play with cars. Believe me, you can do it yourself as long as you have the right tool to work with. It took somebody 2 hrs to install, honestly it took me 5 hrs (including lunch time :grin:). I don't think you will be worst than me. And after you done with it, I believe you will enjoy doing it.

Just count all the parts/screws when you got the package before the installation. Don't be stupid like me install like 70% and found that missing 6 10mm hex nuts and have to run to Autozone/Homedepot to get it.

#25 ·
OK, usnyty your story is really appealing so I am ordering the running board now. Plan to do it myself. I have the ramps so it should not be too bad!!! NY is a very big state but if you ever come to the Hammonasset State Beach Park in CT please send me a PM. We could offer you a drink. We are near the park.

#26 ·
That's great. Since you mention about ramps, one thing to remind you, how strong your ramps are? If you need to raise your car, I will suggest to use jack stands instead of ramps (especially plastic ones by RhinoGear).

Good luck and let us know. :thumbsup:

#28 ·
Hey, what's wrong with RhinoGear? I am pretty sure that's what I got. Been using them for an occasional oil change. I do have jack stands and a hydraulic jack but have not been using them. My concern is how do I get to the lower end of the car to attach the brackets.
Looking at you guys HL pictures I am really impressed at the great jobs you did.

Madbusy, you are lucky to have your brother in law helped you. How long did he take to install the boards? I am planning on a few hours at least. USNYTY took a few hours including lunch and a side trip to AutoZone so that's about par for me. My fear is working under the car with not enough room to maneuver.

#29 ·
Husky55. Let's put it this way, your highlander can be parked on the street. I'll be able to steal everything, all nuts and bolts in approx 15 mins max. Lol. The first side took us maybe 1 hour and 15 mins? Mainly cause we had to open up the box and sort out all the parts. The second side took us 40 mins or so. We used 1 heavy duty jack that lifted the front and the rear of the highlander, that's about it. You actually don't need the jack, but it gave my brother in law extra space to work with cause he's on the chubby side.

#32 ·
just installed a set myself and had difficulty with the center bracket installed. It was just too difficult to hold the bracket and 2 washers while securing the nut. I placed a jack under the bracket but it ended up getting in the way. Instead I did the front and rear brackets first. I slid the 6 T bolts onto the running board and mounted the front and back loosely. Then I used the center T-bolt to hold the bracket in place and was able to secure the nut. I dont have large hands (usually wear a medium glove on the tight side) but this one was a challenge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.