Toyota Nation Forum banner

Stereo Upgrade Completed

11K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Ram P 
#1 ·
I was one of many that was disappointed with what Toyota called premium. I got an upgrade completed and am now impressed. Sounds fantastic.

I removed the 3rd seat and used that area to put equipment. It is covered and will handle weight so I don't lose storage.

HU Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS
Front Speakers-Image Dynamics CXS-64 V.2
Front Amplifier - Focal 2-150
Rear Speakers - Focal Access 130 A1
Rear Amplifier - Phoenix Gold X100.2
Subwoofer - JL Audio 10W3v3
Sub Amp - JL Audio XD600/1

I didn't do the work, had it done by a local shop.

I did lose one function that I miss. I no longer have the compass in the center display. I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get this back. I hope the info only came through the radio and not from it. Does anyone know?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow! Nice! How do you like the HU? I was thinking of this line, the 400, 5000 etc
Also looking at ID for speakers! Still working on amps. I won't be giving up the third row, so I'm limited.

I bet it sounds great! How do your doors look/tweeter location?

Congrats

#6 ·
I got the 3700 because it had the four items I wanted, HD radio, time alignment, bluetooth, and back up camera. Added bonus was 13 channel EQ and crossover adjustment. Also at $300+ I will be okay with getting a better unit when technology improves. Noticeably smaller screen for a day, then it seems right. They got my Highlander backup camera to work, including the lines that move as you turn.

I couldn't see that I was gaining all that much by upgrading the head unit. Little bigger screen but most specs remained the same.

#7 ·
I think it sounds great. Picked up most of the gear over a 2 month period on DIYMA.com. Most of it was used so I saved quite a bit. Front tweeters are in the dash like the stock speakers. Rear tweeters are in the upper front of the door. Still doing some tuning, there are a lot of adjustments between the head unit and the crossovers. Seems a little bright so I am going to cut 3db on the front tweeter. Best sub I ever had, hits nice and low.

#8 ·
you can always replace your rear view mirror with one that includes a compass, self dimming, and even a cam screen if you want. Or, since you have 2 large cupholders, you can pop in a marine style compass in one of the cup spots! :)

Reactions: usnyty
#11 ·
Wow it looks good and I bet it sounds good too. Curious when u replace the head unit I assume you loose the car setup function along with the GPS and the info that is on small screen in the middle of the cluster? Like the compass, street names and the speed limit sign? All unnecessary but would be hard for me to give up after having them.

#16 ·
So I'm not clear on this...Does the cluster info disappear or is it there or is it intermittent some how?
Can you clarify this? >
I'd say yes. The info pops up on that screen when your main screen is doing certain things - navigation, music.
Im about to start this, but having trouble selecting between a class AB or class D amp. so far shops say I wont hear the difference, while JL still makes A+D in their 5 channel amps. Also somone said I can select from a few different converters for the signal. This I wasn't sure about, but they said there is a LC-7 or5, maybe epicenter makes it? I have no clue. I want the doors matted, and wires soldered. I have the main wiring that goes to the batter and amp plus quality rca's, as I know I spent good money for them. I need to find a shop thats flexible to work with.

I know Sweeney mentiond that the pdx Alpines are decent, and I have heard the same, yet the F600 is hard to come across. Maybe something equal or with more juice, or flexibility. Amplifiers can change the character of the sound, and I like a warm comfortable listening neutral, natural sound. So its a bit of a research project to talk to a number of people to see what works best for me.

The old amp I have is a bit big on foot print, but if it saves me $400, I can make room under a seat.I have an MTX 4300x(37.5wx4@4ohm... known as cheater amp/underrated). Either I use it or get a 4 or 5ch classD that are fairly cheap. I will look for 125w per ch rating in 4ohms.

#22 · (Edited)
Y remove 3rd row.

You can place one amp in the left side of trunk free space given
and tuck the other amp under the front passenger seat.

I have my plan ready will be done in a week or two

planning to setup
JL Audio JX1000/1d
Jl Audio JX380/4

JL Sub 12w6 d4 /Kicker Sub CVR 10" (I have both plan to switch based on my need)
Focal Speakers

Thanks

#24 ·
Y remove 3rd row.

You can place one amp in the left side of trunk free space given
and tuck the other amp under the front passenger seat.

I have my plan ready will be done in a week or two

planning to setup
JL Audio JX1000/1d
Jl Audio JX380/4

JL Sub 12w6 d4 /Kicker Sub CVR 10" (I have both plan to switch based on my need)
Focal Speakers

Thanks
So far I have my DSP under driver seat, and 4ch under front passenger, with the 2nd amp in the free space.....

I used that same free rear space next to the tools, but its sealed up in that space. It will need some venting. Any ideas?

#23 ·
Dear Toyota,

How can you feel good about the fact that many, probably most, HL Limited owners who do not have mouse ears would prefer to replace the "premium" JBL system you have chosen for this vehicle? The 3rd gen HL is an awesome vehicle, love the chrome tech wheels, they look great. For the love of God, please install a sound system that competes favorably with other offerings in the segment.

What you have today is garbage, worst in class, you must do better.

CGM

#25 ·
I talked with a prof installer he was saying that the JL JX 360/4 amp dosent get heated as we may not be running it in full volume any time.
But its Calss AB. and has big foot print that will take up entire rear free compartment.

The JX 1000/1 d is Calss D.
The class D should not get heated but the tech was saying if you run high bass volumes it might get warm

Class D amps are good options for low heat

#26 ·
^Class D still gets hot. I run only class D's (I have 3 in the car) and they most definitely run hot when used above low volume. Because they are more efficient, they are usually smaller dimensionally and have smaller heatsinks (ie smaller footprint), so they have less thermal cooling ability, so they can get just as warm as AB (even though they are pumping out more watts).

There are times my Alpine PDX-F4 runs very hot, and its just a 4x120watt amp. Heck its typically hotter than an old AB I had because they squeezed so much power in a tiny package, so less heatsinking ability.

#27 ·
I have got the Metra Adapters for speakers.
I tried the rear (right) speaker replacement with Focal R-165S2

Surprised that the stock system was able to handle the speakers well. They sounded almost as loud as the stock speakers.
A big relief as I found out that we need not put some amp to support the new speakers that we plan to replace with.

Can anyone explain how the 4 channel amp is going to help me in this scenario

Do we really need one .. will it bring in more clarity from the signal that its getting from stock system

what are the benefits to have it and not to have it?
"
Thanks

#28 ·
It's all relative to the volume you want to listen to.
any amp the more you push it the more distortion it will create above let's say 30-40% of the rated power.
thus ideal is to stay within that band of power .this apply to the amp in your oem radio or to the aftermarket amp.
I run aftermarket amp for my front 2 speakers because I like the music louder than the oem radio can go without distorsions.
hope this helps!

#29 ·
If running woofers/bass, its gonna get hot.
I'm putting a fan in that spot. Just a variable PC fan I think will do it. Low db, 70mm or something firing either from bottom or just left of it. I already have my amp setup inside it. I will carpet that area also (just to make the wires cleaner looking).
With SoCal weather, I don't want to find out how long it lasts before something gets unglued, loose or fries in it. The space has no exhaust, so I need to think of something for that without drilling holes like a mad man.

As far as the amp concern. If you have Focal speakers, or any decent speakers and you feed it a limited amount of power, and more importantly the improper hertz signal to the drivers you are not letting the speakers do their job. If you are happy with the incremental upgrade in this way, then fantastic. Yet you could have got any $200+ component and get like results. It is limiting the output of the speakers.

If you have the XLE with JBL, then you have multiple speakers that are driven at different sound frequencies via the amp/ distributor/processor.
This might not be strong enough to damage your speakers, but if you play them way hard it might. I'm not sure how many speakers the JBL setup has, but it maybe sounding Ok if it just has the same separates as your new aftermarkets do. Still limited, but as you notice, enough power to listen to.

If you have the stock system, you are likely getting more full range sound to each L-R channel as there is no dedicated amp with processor , but it too still has some processing as you turn up the volume(I think this is what I ended up seeing happen with my system. needs more testing). The highs and mids dip as the bass is raised(when increasing the volume). A graph geomoto posted also suggests, or more like proves this, I think. So if you're happy with it, then great. If not, and plan to use an amp, I would also recommend a DSP. So far I have just the front channels hooked up, and already, I love the sound I can hear. Hope you get to the point that makes the car more enjoyable....well it sounds like you are about there.

#33 · (Edited)
one stupid question here.

Can the wheels be chrome dipped?

somehow i liked the xle wheels better than the chrome tech wheels of limited on the day of purchase.

Though i thought i may be missing the chrome wheels of limited but later found that they are fake chrome wheels i was relived.

I saw a black xle with black dipped wheels .. that car looked awesome.

So cal weather bakes us here so though i like black i had to choose the next best to my eyes. Grey Mica

#34 ·
In short - yes. Anything can be chrome'd.
1. Considering there are a million different colors and coatings why you'd settle for chrome is beyond me. (Look into hydrodip.)
2. It'll probably be cheaper to buy a set of chrome wheels than Properly coat your current set.

Reactions: Phil Indeblanc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.