Toyota Nation Forum banner

Changes for the 2016 Highlander

19K views 80 replies 35 participants last post by  hashiriya74 
#1 ·
Just got my motortrend for the month and they list a few minor changes.

All non hybrid highlanders now come standard with the tow prep package
XLE gains 18inch alloy wheels with gun metal finish
Platinum package now have rain sensing wipers

#4 ·
Just got my motortrend for the month and they list a few minor changes.

1 All non hybrid highlanders now come standard with the tow prep package
2 XLE gains 18inch alloy wheels with gun metal finish
3 Platinum package now have rain sensing wipers
1...Good addition, but thinking it'll raise base price?

2...Is this diff. than whats on my 2014?

3...Can see advantage, but n/a for me.

Tks.

#7 ·
Manufacturers have to withhold some of the "goodies" to get people to pay the big bucks for the premium models. I agree with you though--safety features should be available to ALL buyers. I am surprised the PC crowd hasn't jumped up and down on that one yet.

At least Honda is offering "Honda sensing" on all trim levels of the Accord next year.

#11 ·
Hmm no rear lockers, no HID's, no full 360 camera view, still unibody? I'll pass jk :) I wonder how the 4th gen Highlanders will be like. Imagine if they actually updated the frame to a body on frame with 4wd and rear lockers. I would totally trade my 3rd gen HL and get that instead of the 4runner! I like the space of the newer HL. just too bad it's functions for like a van.

#14 ·
I have rain sensing wipers on my 2015 Lexus RX 350 F Sport. While I like their functionality, if I had the choice vs. HID lights on a Highlander, my choice would be HIDs in a heartbeat. I could live without rain sensing wipers but HIDs are far more useful.

Perhaps the mid-term 2017 Highlander upgrades will have more availability of safety features (BSM, lane warning, parking assist, etc) throughout the various Highlander model lines. Who would not like an improved head unit vs. the JBL model and finally HIDs as a choice?

#72 ·
Pick up some Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Bulb for your fogs and/or Xenondepot's H11 bulbs for the low beams / fogs for a grand total of under $300 and you're good to go. That's what I did. Love em. Why pay a manufacturer many hundreds more for xenon lights? Technology in the aftermarket is a b*tch (to the manufacturers). The tech/packaging of these H11 LED bulbs from places like XenonDepot, regardless of price, is something you never had access to even a couple of years ago.

#16 ·
I had it turned off on my car. Its a gimmick and a costly repair...but you know me.
I'll leave the fluff for the fluffer.

Auto sensing wipers/windshield with sensor pack repair $700 (and a waste of 2 to 3 days)
Auto sensing camera and motion security light at home......priceless

#19 ·
You can say the same thing about automatic anything in the car - headlights, seats, locks, windows, etc. Is it hard to crank a lever to open a window? No. Do I want to do it? Not really. :)

Reactions: ldeveraux
#21 ·
I'm not a fan of the auto sensing wipers. My wife has them on her ES350 and they annoy the crap out me. Like someone mentioned earlier. They are either too fast or too slow. I rather have the ability turn them on and off as needed.

#23 ·
You can say the same thing about automatic anything in the car - headlights, seats, locks, windows, etc. Is it hard to crank a lever to open a window? No. Do I want to do it? Not really.
That's not a good comparison at all. Each thing you mentioned takes significant more physical effort for someone (especially senior citizens) for the mechanical mechanism compared to the electronic feature.

Turning your wipers on is about as physical as breathing.

#24 ·
Personally I don't care whats added to the 16 model. I'm almost a 100% sure it will have the same issues as the 14 & 15 models. JBL resets, liftgate, air condition delay etc., etc. What ever happened to Continuous Improvement Process? By the time the TSBs come out I'll be ready for a new car. :disappoin

#29 ·
I agree 100 percent with all your observations. Two full model years in, and Toyota has not figured out how to to keep the most basic audio settings from being committed to memory after a single cycle of engine shutdown and restart. Random navigation screen blackouts, random loss of destination turn-by-turns instructions, and loss of ALL "Previous Destinations" that shoulf be stored and listed from day one in service fot the vehicle. I am positive the audio reset defect will never be corrected, and neither will the majority of these material defects. Toyota would rather lemon out a handful of vehicles on a case-by-case basis for those owners not willing to accept chicanery, lies, and intimidation. In their eyes, it's still less expensive financially that administering warranty oblligations in good faith across the board. I guess that would take too much integrity. In my case, I actually have EPS failures that did not materialize untik AFTER Toyota performed the recall. Absolutely no EPS problems prior to the recall. Go figure that one out. Also, in my case refusal to replace the amp that has given some people partial relief, albeit no permanent fix for audio resets following bluetooth calls. Absolute breach of warranty, and a service manager admitting on paper Toyota has no root cause or solution for this major known issue. I have steered three people in my circle away from a new Toyota bases upon my woes. Word of mouth is undeniably effective, both ways

#30 ·
I hear a lot of people on here complaining about the JBL reset issue as well as the lift gate and after a month of ownership I have to say that I haven't had any issues with either one. Maybe they've fixed them on the later 2015 models. Mine was built in Jul 2015. I have experienced the Auto A/C delay but I normally start the A/C manually and don't have the delay. Hopefully there will be a fix for of those of you who have the issues.

#32 ·
wow thats its for changes. I was holding out for the 2016 to see what it offers. Maybe I will just pull the trigger for a 2015 model then. I was hoping for LED lights on XLE

#34 ·
I think you might have a better chance kidnapping a Toyota rep and extracting the info from them regarding 2017 updates, then adding on this forum. We just learned of 2016 changed last week. I think it'll depend on how they sell through Q4 this year. Keep in mind also the new 3rd row RX. My guess would be refreshed 2018

#35 · (Edited)
1st Gen: 2001, 2002, 2003, refreshed for 2004
2nd Gen: 2008, 2009, 2010, refreshed for 2011
3rd Gen: 2014, 2015, 2016, refreshed for 2017?

Following the pattern of the last 2 generations (and Japanese auto manufactures practices in general when it comes to model lifespans) we should be seeing a refreshed Highlander sometime in 2016 as a 2017 model.

At least that's how I see it.

#37 · (Edited)
I have read in several posts on line that the 2016 Platinum HL will come with subtle exterior changes. I have read this on more than one on line source.

1) LED Fog and headlights
2) Dual exhaust
3) Rain sensing wipers
4) Minor changes to grill and front fascia
5) Exterior mirror design changes

The above are a few of the comments that I have read. My gut tells me that it is the bloggers looking to fill their blogs with unsubstantiated "crap" to draw their audience in.

I ask because I will be purchasing a HL AWD Platinum. My decision, is to buy now, or wait until the 2016 gets released. What this forum is supporting is that the only upgrade in "rain sensing" wipers as the only upgrade.

Can anyone set me straight as to what may or may not be true.

I currently own a 2012 HL Limited that I enjoy a lot. So, does my wife. She wants it after driving it occasionally. So I am forced to get a new HL AWD Platinum as she wants mine. It is a problem that I am happy to address.
I would appreciate any insight of what the 2016 platinum may or may not have. Your insights will direct me to order my 2015 if there are no changes or put a deposit down and order a 2016.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#45 ·
I have read in several posts on line that the 2016 Platinum HL will come with subtle exterior changes. I have read this on more than one on line source.

1) LED Fog and headlights
2) Dual exhaust
3) Rain sensing wipers
4) Minor changes to grill and front fascia
5) Exterior mirror design changes

The above are a few of the comments that I have read. My gut tells me that it is the bloggers looking to fill their blogs with unsubstantiated "crap" to draw their audience in.

I ask because I will be purchasing a HL AWD Platinum. My decision, is to buy now, or wait until the 2016 gets released. What this forum is supporting is that the only upgrade in "rain sensing" wipers as the only upgrade.
If these changes are true, I think they're good ones. Especially the LED lights and side mirror design change. The mirrors cause blind spots. I'd definitely wait for the '16 to come out.

#38 ·
Pushing against the $50k MSRP milestone for a 2016 HL Platinum, you would hope that instead of subtle this and dual that, Toyota could step up and address the ongoing infotainment flaws in this vehicle and put another $200 into HID headlamps. Let me rephrase, I certainly would hope that.

#39 ·
ncinfiniti,

I am not sure I would wait for a 16 just for rain sensing wipers. In our area the Platinums were hard to find and dealers were proud of them. If you find one close to the color or options you prefer then I would just get it and enjoy it.

#40 ·
You are right Bearcat1! That's my point. If the "proposed" changes / updates are going to take place, I will wait as my 2012 Limited is still enjoyable to drive. If the on-line "babble" s just that, then I'll place my order in the coming days. I just find any concrete data confirming the updates that is why I am looking for confirmation that the 2016 changes are not worth waiting for. I would kick myself if the 2016 came with the proposed changes that I have read about. I could wait 90-120 days for those changes. So, if anyone in the forum knows something that the general populous doesn't know, I would love to hear the insight.

#41 ·
Given what's out there about the 2016 model year (and given the typical model update schedule by Toyota) there's likely not to be any significant change. As a model progresses, however, they will make tweaks and adjustments "under the sheet-metal" but these are usually not discussed (i.e they increase the diameter of the rear hatch pistons due to issues).

I really dont think we will see any major changes to the Highlander until the 2017 model year, probably to hit the dealerships in fall 2016.

#42 ·
I appreciate your insight. I have tried searching insider automotive publications, other reliable sources off line as well. What I am hearing more and more that no changes are proposed 2016. My issue is that that am a data guy, don't tell me, show me. I drive my wife crazy with my pursuit of fact versus fiction. She tells me go buy the @$#% Highlander.

#43 ·
I appreciate your insight. I have tried searching insider automotive publications, other reliable sources off line as well. What I am hearing more and more that no changes are proposed 2016. My issue is that that am a data guy, don't tell me, show me. I drive my wife crazy with my pursuit of fact versus fiction. She tells me go buy the @$#% Highlander.

I tend to keep my vehicles for at least 5 years and also dont want to buy a product just to have a revised one to be released a few months later. I'm looking to purchase a mid sized suv in the next 6-12 months and have been tracking many models recently.

-Highlander: likely to be updated for 2017, available late 2016
-Acura MDX: likely to be updated for 2017, available mid 2016
-Infiniti QX60: likely to be updated for 2016, available late 2015
-Pilot Elite: just released as a 2016 model, waiting for more data
-Lexus RX350 (TX?): 3-row, 2017 model, to be released mid 2016?

The deals are great right now on 2015s, but I'm holding out for more info on these vehicles before making a final decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.