Toyota Nation Forum banner

What Winter tires brand/size

45K views 123 replies 51 participants last post by  Quais Mujawar 
#1 ·
For a typical Canadian winter, the whole package (snow, ice), what winter tires brand/size do you use and that would you recommend? Also, any suggestion on the best place to get them in Ottawa or Toronto areas?

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Greatw inter tires.

We got the Hakkapalletta SUV 8 winter tire from Nokian last year. These tires were designed, and tested about the Arctic Circle. I live in Alberta, and around here they don't know when to sand, they do it when it's snowing but they haven't plowed yet, well you just end up with dirty snow and no traction. So I wanted studded tires for traction in all the ice we get around here and in the cities too. That is where these tires really shine. They have specially designed studs to reduce noise, and it does work above about 50 KPH or 30 MPH for the Americans. Below that you can still hear the studs, but above that they create no more noise than normal. I even tested it with a dB meter app on my phone. I know that is not extremely accurate or scientific, but it did show no more noise than the Toyo A20's on our Highlander Limited. But traction wise a lot more than even the Michelin X-Ice 2's on our other vheicle. The Michelins are very good tires in the winter, but the SUV 8's are great. On polished ice like most intersections have, even non studded winters have low grip, but still way better than a so called all season or all weather tire, hint no matter how much they advertise it there is no such tire. The all season or weather tires still have too many compromises in winter. Besides you get much longer life from your tires by changing them twice a year. My winter tires tend to last me 5 or 6 years before I retire them, and they still are above the wear indicators. I have driven millions(real not figureativlly) of miles across the Canada, USA and Europe(4 years) in all weather conditions and dedicated winters are the safest way to go. Besides if it saves you just one crash, it has saved you your insurance deductible which is the cost of a cheap set of winter tires and rims. You can get them from Kal Tire or some other tire shops, we got our from Country Hills Toyota in Calgary for the best price around. :grin:

#4 ·
Hello from Ontario:
Any experience with Nokian R2? Also, any experience down downsizing to a 17" on a 2014 or 2014 Highlander AWD LE?
Some tire providers say their suppliers don't make 17" rims for the HL 2015, which doesn't make sense so consider this a newbie's first question.
Thanks very much.

#5 ·
Tire Sizes for Highlander.

I wanted to get some 17" steel wheels for my HL and some 245/65/R17 tires for it. But the dealer said that they had tried to install a set of 17" wheels on a HL a couple of weeks prior and they wouldn't go on because of one of the suspension bolts (I think he said and on the back wheel) was sticking out too far and the wheel wouldn't go on right so he recommended 245/60/R18 for my HL. The only problem was he said they couldn't find any 18" steel wheels so he offered me some nice looking alloy rims for $150.00 each. After looking around a week for 18" steel rims and not finding any I took him up on his offer. That was last year, they may have 18" steel out now. But I also read on here somewhere that you can cut that bolt down a bit and get 17" rims on with enough clearance to be safe for everyday use. You may want to double check that out. But I do know that on my 18" wheels there is more than enough clearance for the bolt without cutting, and of course the 19" wheels have a lot of room, as a matter of fact after looking at all 4 wheels on the HL, I think 17" should work with enough clearance for the bolt. But if the wheel is to wide it may come in contact with some of the suspension arms or what ever they are called. I would ask them to just put on a 17" wheel with no tire and have a good look around for clearances. Good Luck!:grin:

#8 ·
I wanted to get some 17" steel wheels for my HL and some 245/65/R17 tires for it. But the dealer said that they had tried to install a set of 17" wheels on a HL a couple of weeks prior and they wouldn't go on because of one of the suspension bolts (I think he said and on the back wheel) was sticking out too far and the wheel wouldn't go on right so he recommended 245/60/R18 for my HL. The only problem was he said they couldn't find any 18" steel wheels so he offered me some nice looking alloy rims for $150.00 each. After looking around a week for 18" steel rims and not finding any I took him up on his offer. That was last year, they may have 18" steel out now. But I also read on here somewhere that you can cut that bolt down a bit and get 17" rims on with enough clearance to be safe for everyday use. You may want to double check that out. But I do know that on my 18" wheels there is more than enough clearance for the bolt without cutting, and of course the 19" wheels have a lot of room, as a matter of fact after looking at all 4 wheels on the HL, I think 17" should work with enough clearance for the bolt. But if the wheel is to wide it may come in contact with some of the suspension arms or what ever they are called. I would ask them to just put on a 17" wheel with no tire and have a good look around for clearances. Good Luck!:grin:
I am looking at 17's as well. Our Toyota dealer said I should be ok (we have the LE)

- I didn't think there was a difference in the brakes between models. ??

I have been pricing out the Toyo GSi5 245/60/18 and 245/65/17. We have had Toyo's in the past and they have been fantastic! I have Michelin X-Ice on my Volvo and i think the Toyo's are better for winter.

So far the best price I have is:

245/60/18 with a steel rim $1490 (all in on the road)
245/65/17 with Alloy's (RTX Kyushu) $1498 (all in on the road)

#7 ·
Winter tires.

I don't know anything about the Haakapallita R2 tires, other than they have been around for many years now. I use the Haaka' SUV 8 and I love these tires. Traveled around town on our skating rinks, what they call roads, around Calgary and out to Golden for skiing and they were amazing tires whether we had, ice, snow or bare roads. No slipping or sliding unless you really tried I was able to do it once. So I would heartily recommend those tires.:wink:

#10 ·
if you go 17" , it will depend on the rim you choose,

i had my old 17" from my previous 2011 highlander installed on my 2014 and the bolt issue Grizzlyss is talking about happened to me , the dealer had to grind the bolt on a angle.

that's was last winter but this winter i am getting hakka 8 suv , i dont feel safe driving with a the bolt that have been grinded.

#21 · (Edited)
Nokian Hakka 8 SUV

The Nokian Hakka 8 SUV come either pre-studded or unstudded. They can not be studded by the tire dealer as they use a special stud that must be done at the manufacturer only!! There is no way to stud them after they have left the factory. AT least that is what I have learned from the Nokian site and indepth reading.

PS. The new SUV 8 Nokian stud has been proven to cause less damage to the pavement than any other studded tire out there, even though they use more studs per rolling meter than any other tire too.

#27 ·
probably he was saying this ----

The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-V2's tread depth features the NanoPro Tech Multicell Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound. When the Blizzak DM-V2 is approximately 50 percent worn, a depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that the remaining tread is reaching the end of its ability to provide beneficial snow traction.

#33 ·
After seeing snow come down this past saturday in Toronto by Sherway Gardens I went out and picked up a set of Continental Winter Contact SI. There are no reviews on this tire yet and I was told by the tire shop owner that this tire is new this year and is better than the ExtremeWinterContact set by Continental. Picked up size 245/50/20 to put on my Venza wheels as winter rims for the HL. Price was not too bad for a premium tire.

#35 ·
I had Blizzak DM-V2 245/55R19 installed at Costco today. Total price was $1038.42, and that's Canadian funds. The Toyota dealer quoted me $1367.30 for the exact same tires. Dealer also said that 17 inch rims will work on the 2014 Highlander but not on the 2015 because of a suspension bolt. Also claimed that 18 inch steel rims were not suitable and he would only recommend 18 inch alloy rims at $200 each. That inf is what convinced me to go with the original 19 inch size.

They sure look good on my shiny Chrometek Rims.

#37 ·
Drove 300 mile trip on dry roads on the new Blizzak DM-V2 snow tires today. I didn't notice any increase in the road noise compared to the original all weather tires.
Michelin does not offer a 245/55R19 Winter tire and I did not want to change the rim size, so the Blizzaks were the only choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.