Toyota Nation Forum banner

snow tires and wheels

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  2005 Camry 
#1 ·
I am thinking about putting snow tires on my HL. Do I need new wheels as well? Which brands do you have and where to get them? Thanks,

#2 ·
You have a couple options.

1. Dedicated snows. You replace the summer tires with snows for the winter months. You don't have to get new rims...but it makes it a lot easier to switch over if you do have dedicated rims. Just remember that unless you want the annoying TPM light telling you tire pressure is low you'll also need new TPMS for each tire...and programmed to the HL.

2 Another option is to get a set of AT tires and drive them all year round. This is what I've been doing since I bought my first SUV some 30 years ago. AT tires are more aggressive then an all-season tire. And the good ones give good all around performance (dry, snow water...)...and even off-roading.

#3 ·
Hello... I put Michelin Xi2 snow tires from Costco on and the size is 17" because they don't make a 19" size, I had these same snows on my 2012 HH and they work just fine, I did not install the TPMS.. I always check my tires, the 17" size throws your speedometer off a little, .. ie.. it shows 120 kmh but you are only going about 116 kmh. They make a BIG difference on the ice and snow... Good Luck

#4 ·
I have a 2015 Highlander Hybrid and just had Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV studless tires put on with a set of Ultra Alpine winter alloy wheels. I did not want to change the tires each season off and on to the stock Chromtec wheels as I was concerned about wheel damage (as I have read). I also had them install the TPMS sensors as in my state I believe they are required. Anyway I feel better with them in. I did go with a smaller tire size; one size down to 245/60R18XL, keeps the diameter the same. So far I am happy with the tires, I have not been in any snow but have driven on wet and icy roads and they worked very well. They are also as quiet or quieter then the stock Bridgestone tires on dry pavement. I will be making some trips up north and will surely be driving in snow and will update as I do. Yes, they are expensive, but piece of mind; priceless.

#5 ·
Im actually loading my winters into the back of my 2014 xle as I type this! I lost my wheel lock key (doh!) in the spring. I think it was still on the nut when I went for a test drive. I went to the dealership here in Canada but legally they can not order a replacement key. There is paperwork that came with the car that has a part number to order directly from the wheel lock manufacturer for a new one.

Anyways!... I have Michelin Xi2's as well. They are a very well reviewed pure winter tire. I dropped down a couple sizes to 17 inch. 245/65/R17 to maintain the same overall diameter.

I would highly recommend switching to winters for the season for two reasons.

One. Winter tires that are made for winter will perform better. Period. It's what they are designed to do.

Two. One of the best aspects of your Highlander is how quiet it is while driving in the summer. This quietness has alot to do with the tires. Unfortunately these quiet dry road tires are horrible in the snow.

It's easy to switch out tires. Just be safe. Get a 3 ton jack. Get 3 ton jack stands. And use a torque wrench. Normally I switch out tires myself for my HL and my wife's Prius but since my lack of a wheel lock key I can't do it this time. Luckily I'm due for a free oil change and the dealership is going to swap them out for me for free. Bonus!

Second bonus... since I work at a Toyota assembly plant the dealership will pick up my HL from the parking lot while I'm at work. Do all my regular maintenance. Then drop it off before my shift is over. Nice perk.

Point is... GET WINTER TIRES!

#6 ·
I agree that summer tires are not good in snow...but winter tires are NOT needed in most parts of the country. Even here in NH which gets 5 times the amount of snow that TN gets.

All season tires are more then fine in most parts of the country. My wife has no problem with All-Season tires and her front-wheel drive vehicles. If we weren't ski buffs I'd probably stick with all-season tires....but driving in the White mountains during snow storms can be treacherous without better tires.

For me...instead of switching tires from Summer to winter...I drive a good AT type tire all year (although I haven't replaced the all-season tires on my HL yet...will be doing that next month). Some are really good in snow and wet driving...and still handle very well during the summer. Dedicated snows aren't needed here. In the town I grew up in...then I'd be betting dedicated snows. 200"+ every year of snow is even too much for all-season or an AT tire.

#7 · (Edited)
I have a question on this topic. I buy my tires from a place that offers free rotations and winter/summer tire swaps. If I don't get new wheels, will the tires have more problems as they age because they are being fitted onto a new wheel every 6 months or so?

In other words, I don't need to make it easier for the service center to swap my tires out, so is there another reason that having dedicated wheels is better? For one, I can think that I can have one set of wheels that can get cruddy.

Also, where does one get a TPMS for the snows? Does this have to be a Toyota part and can you explain where this is on the tire/wheel?

#8 ·
There shouldn't be any problems remounting the tires once a year.

Crud can always be washed off. Might take longer for really cruddy wheels..but they can be made looking like new. Most people who run winter tires buy dedicated wheels because in the long run it's cheaper. Cheap steel wheels are cheaper then having to mount and balance 4 tires twice a year.

Most tire shops sell the TPMS for all makes/models. And they can program it too. You don't NEED them...but the TPMS light may be annoying.

#9 · (Edited)
Alternative Rims & Tires

Question and it looks like ToyotaWelder addresses this.

I've just leased a 2016 Highlander (which I'll probably buy out in 3 years), after driving a 2005 Camry for 10 years. It looks to me like the 2014 HL is the first year to go to the 18" tires like are on the 2015 and 2016. I always have purchased snow tires and extra rims for my vehicles because I keep them for many years. Will the 2013 and earlier 17" Highlander wheels, fit the 2016 HL with no rubbing? I'm thinking a set of the older 17" HL rims would be cheaper than trying to find 18" as well as the 17" tires being cheaper. Is there a good 17" black steel wheel alternative to the fancy HL style wheels? Last but not least do any of the other Toyota vehicle's wheels, maybe a Tacoma, fit the HL? How about older Lexus wheels or is the fact that it a Lexus part, price it out of existence? The TPMS light doesn't bother me, we put up with that on my wife's Solara. Thanks for the input.

After posting this first post yesterday I found another topic: "What Winter tires brand/size" which had a lot of information about putting snow tires and wheels on the HL. I will probably run the 18" OEM tires for the winter and then experiment some next year. I also wondered what it does to the warranty if there was a problem and Toyota said you shouldn't put 17" rims on the 2014-2016 HL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.