Toyota Nation Forum banner

Got my first scratch

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Phil Indeblanc 
#1 ·
Brand new 2016 highlander xle. The good news, it's at the bottom of the passenger door so it's not visible. Bad news, 4 small scratches that looks like the paint is completely removed, i see black. Door opened to steps the same height as the bottom door. So question is, is it worth it to repair? Is it plastic or metal? Do I need to worry about rust? I'm more inclined to leave it if it's plastic.

Thanks, Mark

#3 ·
The paint comes off incredibly easy on this car! Mine will be 2 years old in Sept. and the only scratch I have is from my own doing, I opened the door in the garage onto the rusty lawn mower handle. That handle now has a towel over it! I never got the scratch fixed and really don't even notice it. I park way far out in parking lots and so far I've dodged any dings or scratches, but I know it'll eventually happen. If it looks really bad, then get it fixed, but my guess is, over time you won't notice it as much.

#7 ·
Just a thought...stick magnet to area..if plastic it shouldn't stick. If it sticks & no bare metal showing, maybe no touch up needed? Good luck.

#6 ·
Brand new 2016 highlander xle. The good news, it's at the bottom of the passenger door so it's not visible. Bad news, 4 small scratches that looks like the paint is completely removed, i see black. Door opened to steps the same height as the bottom door. So question is, is it worth it to repair? Is it plastic or metal? Do I need to worry about rust? I'm more inclined to leave it if it's plastic.

Thanks, Mark
Have... Have you ever owned a car before?
Not sure what your questions has to do with my question but yes I have. Sorry, I do not know the ins and outs of cars, just regular things like changing tires, jump starting, etc... So back to my original question. Is it plastic or metal?

Thanks, mark

#8 ·
Not sure what your questions has to do with my question but yes I have. Sorry, I do not know the ins and outs of cars, just regular things like changing tires, jump starting, etc... So back to my original question. Is it plastic or metal?

Thanks, mark
It's more an indictment on this forum in general. You want to fix a scratch and don't post a picture, another guy has dirt inside his car and doesn't know how to clean it. My cabin temperature is too warm, will someone tell me how to make it colder?

My point is this: it's a scratch. Get over it! Sorry to niggle, this forum has just gotten ridiculous...

#9 ·
Honestly this a forum and it will be littered with questions like these. A lot are new owners and have concerns. If I knew a lot about cars, I wouldn't need to join a forum like this. Maybe there should be another forum for general questions or even a frequently asked questions sticky.

#11 ·
Funny posts :)

The doors are primed black from what I have seen for replacement doors sold. So that is likely the metal. If its a big area, then maybe need a shop to look at it. If its a dime or smaller, I'd get some coded color in a spray paint can, and mask and tehn hit the area, and clear coat. if its really small just use touch up.

If you don't treat it , it can only get worse...maybe even rust.

Either way, you can't leave it be.

#12 ·
I actually use the magnet suggestion that someone posted. It stuck to the side door but not at the bottom of the door so I'm pretty sure that part of it is plastic.

Reason I don't have a pic of it is because by the time I get home it's dark and it not at a angle that is easy to take a pic.

Understandable that some might find newbie questions annoying. Heck I'm guilty of that on other forums.

#15 ·
Its true, most clearcoats, if left outside, even with regular paint sealers and such will give up the ghost. Flaking and bubbling up.

Do the paint sealers that are permanent help it much, or are they a type of clearcoat them selves, just weaker?

Vinyl wrapping is actually a pretty good idea, I would think.
It can last a few years without too much damage. If you have it on for 4 years, that already saves you a paint job before you end up needing a new car :)

Here in SoCal, 7 years and it will start

I wonder when we will start to see anodized , alum, or powder coated cars ? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.